Individual mistakes in big games...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2712CE3900000578-0-image-a-3_1427547205138.jpg

People keep crying about Lloris and Trippier because obviously their mistakes are the most obvious ones but I think it's quite clearly a mentality issue because in important moments and in important games players all over the pitch are consistently making these mistakes.

From horrible finishing, sloppy conceding of the ball in the midfield to calamitous own goals like last night's... it's all in their heads.

100% mate.

It is so blindingly obvious.

Not that I am saying this is a good thing but I remember ending the season happy for us to finish with a positive goal difference.

We're better off in terms of points compared to last season and *almost* in the quarter final of the champions league after completely shitting the bed last season.

We are improving, expectation will grow with this and we will outgrow the capabilities of some players. These are growing pains and nothing more, I'm not going to let two bad results change how I feel about my team.

Seeing comments like we have no identity, we're shit, we are bottlers, Poch needs to fuck off to Man United.

Just get a fucking grip, if anyone is mentally weak it's some of the fans here. Just get behind the team or fuck off. It's simple really

Everyone that played in the world cup needs to be assessed. Look at Pickford FFS... FFS. turned from Shilton to Taibi in a matter of months.

It's not mentality or bottle

It's lack of quality.

More quality = less fuck ups
Less quality = more fuck ups

Better players make less costly mistskes over the course of a season & teams with more quality can compensate better for their mistakes

We have no budget and are 3rd. Poch is doing excellently and the team are overachieving.

It's really that simple

I dont agree, because you could say how many games have we "fucked up" by not scoring enough...do we need more quality up top? Dele, Kane, Eriksen and Son all didnt do enough to beat Utd, DESPITE Trippiers fuck up.

Why is missing sitters considered less costly than random poor passes to the oppo?

Kane and Dele score, no one remembers Trippier giving the ball away 90 yards from our goal, simple as that.
To say we dont lack a winning mentality is fairly absurd. Not enough quality?

Over the last few seasons we drew away at Barca and Real, destroyed Real at home, spanked Liverpool, drew at Juve, spanked Utd 3 or four times, spanked Chelsea three or fours times, beaten Dortmund three times, won a CL group of death and finished above every single one of the top 6 including City twice.

But we lack the quality to beat Leicester at WHL, or West Ham, Or Wolves or Burnley, or throw away 2-0 leads at the Bridge, and let Woolwich come back with ten men at home?
Or win a semi final against teams we beat in the league? Come off it

We dont have a squad that can win the FA Cup?

We are scared to fail, but that just makes us scared to win. No leadership, no bollocks, no self belief when push comes to shove

I put a lot of these so called mistakes coming to light down to my belief that when we have control of a game, we are very content chipping away for large durations on end waiting for our moment. I've seen us run the pace of a game for 30 minutes + without mustering an opportunity at goal. The longer we have our patches of dominance and don't do more with it, the more chance the other team will get a sniff through a slip or a goal against the run of play or even turn the tide and begins to take the onus.

For me what's more important isn't cutting out mistakes, some mistakes that can be brought on by going 1-0 down after dominating possession whilst lacking penetration or punch but to make the most of when we have large spells with the ball. We seem very happy in possession and I think we become a little complacent in these moments. When you've got the ball for 20 minutes, don't do anything of real significance with it but are happy passing it, moving, playing nice and neat and then a sudden you make a dodgy pass or are pushed onto the back foot it harms the team. For me it's more about taking advantage in spells of possession more frequently as opposed to ironing out silly little errors. Errors sometimes cannot be helped but what can be adjusted is the mindset when we have control of the game.

Teams will always get opportunities against you, you've got to make sure the games out of reach when in control of things before that occurs

Back
Top Bottom