If we don't buy adebayor then what happens?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BernardMatthews

“Wildly offensive and ill informed”
Since he's arrived the impact he has had on the team and the supporters has been huge. Does anybody give a shit he once played for that lot?

Confidence high, all can see he's an improvement on crouch, but we have him on loan and we cant afford his wages.

So what next? It's a long time away granted, but worth a bit of discussion. If we get CL and he scores more than 20 goals is he worth breaking our wage structure for?

I think it would be worth it, assuming that substantive progress is made on NDP. If serious moves are made there, think it would be fine to break wage structure a small bit as a statement of intent. You'd still have to talk Ade way, way down, though. If Spurs broken the wage structure to a significant degree then the other players are going to expect more, too. The positive is that very few clubs can afford Ade's wages. He's run the circuit of clubs in the EPL, and all the top clubs have extremely settled strike forces (unless Andy Carroll keeps underwhelming). It's like his choices are Spurs, or impress enough that Real Madrid has another go at him. There's no doubt that's where he really wants to be, but it's an awful long shot to pin ALL your hopes on a move to one specific club. Especially when they didn't extend his loan or exercise their option to buy.

He's a mercenary through and through, and wages are incredibly important to him, but I just don't know that I see it happening. I think he's gonna blow away the EPL this year but still his wages awfully limit him to a very few select clubs, many of which he's already played for and been passed over. All we can hope for is that he enjoys his playing time enough that he'd rather take a paycut to 110k a week and keep playing, instead of taking 170k a week kicking the ball around with Citeh's youth squad.

Wishful thinking, probably. If he keeps playing like he has been, I think he'd be well worth breaking the wage structure. Especially since I've heard so many warnings about his terrible work rate, I've been blown away by his off the ball movement. We didn't see that with ANY of our strikers last season. I've thought all along that a prototypical big man up front would really unlock the team's potential. Someone who can muscle the defense around and present a genuine attacking threat, holding up play as well. We didn't see that last season at all and as a result it looked like opposing teams focused on covering Bale and VdV. After all, why bother covering Pav or Crouch?

The exception to this might be Leandro. If we make a move for Leandro in the Jan. window and he looks to be in good form, doing all of those things that I just mentioned, he'd likely be a much more cost effective alternative to Ade. Still, we'd need to pick up another big man, unless Harry Kane starts growing by leaps and bounds. Thank god Leandro just got injured for 6 weeks. He's been on such a tear I'm worried we'll be priced out of the move.

Oh well, what the fuck do I know?
/rant

I think while 'what happens if we don't sign Adebayor' is a pertinent question, an even more pressing one might be 'what happens if we don't sign another striker in January'.

I think he will have one more year at City when his loan here expires. They will surely want to offload him, you'd think.

If we get into the champions league, he'd be stupid not to take a pay cut and sign for us. He's not at the beginning of his career anymore and must realize that he's moved around a bit too much and needs to settle for a few years. Also, he must know that his wage is not the market value and is inflated. No other club in the world would pay him 170000 a week and city don't want him any more.

Admin Admin - Ade is with City until July 2014

He's a mercenary and I can't trust in him not to go renegade like he has done in the past and turn his back when he's bored. We can't match his wages and I'm not sure I'm comfortable breaking the wage structure for him (even offering 110k is a considerable hike and @Virginaspur is also absolutely correct when saying all the other 'top' players will want the same and the knock on effect may become financially obstructive, pissing off more players than pleasing Adebayor).

Champions League is all important to get that top top player. They'll come for less wages if playing in the CL. Trying to get someone without that means they will want huge wages we shouldn't be paying. NDP and Champions League could bring glory years but we need both.

I'd love to get Leandro but looks like we missed the boat there. Agreements with Inter or not, I fear he is gone to Real for a huge price leaving us, well fucked.

I've never seen anybody react so badly to a poke in the eye. Don't think he touched the ball on the last 30mins.

He's had two and half games. Bit hasty to think about signing him on a permanent deal. I'd revisit it at the Xmas...

roman_280x390_957464a.jpg

Flav said:
I've never seen anybody react so badly to a poke in the eye. Don't think he touched the ball on the last 30mins.

He's had two and half games. Bit hasty to think about signing him on a permanent deal. I'd revisit it at the Xmas...

I agree.Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

He's been great for us, but he's thrown the toys out of the pram for the last 2 prem clubs he played for. Then again, he's not really got any competition at Spurs, so he may not need to.

If he's willing to take a pay cut, or like thaydan said, Citeh subsidise his wages then I can't see it happening.

From what I have seen, I'd take another loan option. He's not going to go anywhere else without taking a pay cut, so he is resigned to maxing out current contract. Plus over the years I've consistently seen strikers at many clubs do well on loan and then tail off the minute they sign a perm contract.

Damiao / Negredo in Jan to replace Pav, worry about Ade in the summer (after all might have a new manager by then).

I hate to say it but I am just waiting for him to act a drama queen over something and ruin all the good work he's done. Its just too good to be true otherwise.
Watching the game on Saturday I thought that he was showing his petulant side already with the eye thing. Saying he wanted to wear an eye patch is hilarious, I was watching a stream thinking 'what is he doing?' 'oh great here we go again' an Woolwich fan text me saying 'its only matter of time, he loves a bit of drama'

I'm worried we have all our eggs in one basket with him, if he gets injured were in trouble, and I just cant help feel sooner or later he is going to do something stupid/fall out with someone.

Then again, he is fucking good and it really is amazing how much better we can play with someone playing up front who doesnt stand around waiting for something to happen, someone who actually gives defenders multuiple things to worry about.

Just imagine he played against Woolwich with an eye patch and scored. It would literally be the funniest thing ever.

seeing that picture of pav reminds me of why we must sign him up.

if he lost interest and was shit for the rest of the season he'd still be better than pav.

Back
Top Bottom