If Only...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not that I want to moan or seem ungrateful or anything, and I first started thinking about this when seeing a blog, somehwere, about a this exact thing (plagarism, deal with it), but...

League Table since 1st Sep 2011

1. THFC P21 Pts 49 GD +26
2. MCFC P20 Pts 45 GD +32
3. MUFC P20 Pts 45 GD +26

Which I think we all know, however those first two games...with this team we have now, no Modric distractions plus Parker and Ade (for the Utd game at least), surely we might just have been able to get two draws in those two games? Not asking for miracles (ok maybe with our record at Old Trafford, but bear with me). Two draws in those two games and this happens...

1. MCFC P23 Pts 52 GD +37
2. MUFC P23 Pts 52 GD +32
3. THFC P23 Pts 51 GD +26

So we'd still have a few goals to make up but just look how tight that is!

Ok, we can always say "if this" and "if that" (like Stoke, Man City away against us or the Fulham win in our favour) but I'm not talking about incidents in specific games, bad decisions, "luck". I'm talking about the fact that a) the transfer window completely unsettled the side we had and we didn't seal the deals we needed until the last minute and b) we almost forfeited these first two games (Livermore & Kranjcar in CM at OT).

This is precisley why I hate the transfer window overlapping the start of the season - it won't change so we need to deal with it - but I think those two tables show even more how good this team is (ignore the shadow that represented us in August).

If we carry on the way we have since those first two games we should get pretty close to overhauling the top two and have a real shout, but if we'd have just shown a little more backbone in August, if Chelsea had of just fucked of and taken no for an answer and if we'd have done our business by mid-August. IF!!!

It doesn't escape me how much of an achievement even 3rd place would be for us, and there is plenty that could yet destabalise us, but is it wrong just to asked for that little bit more.

Two draws in August and we'd be a point behind, a draw and a win and we'd be top. If only

The thing that bugs me (apart from Stoke and Man City away which I'm STILL apoplectic about) ...if you take both OUR draw against Swansea, and Chelsea's last night... we BOTH get the same point in the same fixture... yet ours was so much harder to take becasue we were ahead for so long... whereas theirs was snatched from the jaws of defeat and therefore puts a positive spin on what was, after all 'only' a point!

I think I prefer OUR point, simply 'cos we know that (like Newcastle away too) we were 5 mins away from doing something not many teams had managed to... it SHOULD give us confidence, but there's that nagging feeling that we're still haunted by the curse of the late goal, (Man City being Exhibits A, B & C) and it may already have come back to bite us.

Back
Top Bottom