Ian Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Neil Sullivan was a step up from Walker, Robinson was a step up from Sullivan, that is how average Walker was. He proved it was possible for keepers to be lazy, he had the big house and page 3 girlfriend and never seemed too concerned about his own mediocrity. Keepers like Daines, Kendall and Mimms did not last long and Walker was no better than them.

Hated him and the fact he was spurs goalie. He was never fit to wear the shirt. The laughing when the seventh goal went in against Newcastle should of lead to an instant dropping.

The only memory I have of him is diving across the goal and catching the ball with both hands instead of the usual palming away. The whole team was of similar quality at one point
I still have a vivid memory of Ian Walker plucking the ball out of the air WITH ONE HAND up at the City Ground, Nottingham... having just replaced Erik the Viking due to injury!

Those around me cooed about flashes of Pat Jennings... and that we had finally found a homegrown GK worthy of comparison...

Seems he peaked too soon, as it turns out, that was probably his finest appearance in a Spurs shirt!

He was in goal from when I was 14 until I was 23. Fuck me, we've got it good these days.
He was in goal when I got my season ticket. Ah, those halcyon days, must have seen about 50 home wins in the entire 90's.

:ossie:

I really hope I'm wrong about that. I'm sure someone will check.

I really hope I'm wrong about that. I'm sure someone will check.

90's PL with home wins and total goals against (home & away)

92/93 - 11 Home wins, GA 66
93/94 - 4 Home wins, GA 59
94/95 - 10 Home wins, GA 58
95/96 - 9 Home wins, GA 38
96/97 - 8 Home wins, GA 51
97/98 - 7 Home wins, GA 56
98/99 - 7 Home wins, GA 50
99/00 - 10 Home wins, GA 49

:adesalute:

90's PL with home wins and total goals against (home & away)

92/93 - 11 Home wins, GA 66
93/94 - 4 Home wins, GA 59
94/95 - 10 Home wins, GA 58
95/96 - 9 Home wins, GA 38
96/97 - 8 Home wins, GA 51
97/98 - 7 Home wins, GA 56
98/99 - 7 Home wins, GA 50
99/00 - 10 Home wins, GA 49

:adesalute:

Fantastic. So some things ARE better than you remember.

Even the kit didnt rate him

walker.jpg
Starting to remember why I'm not so keen on the return of the logo shield....

Starting to remember why I'm not so keen on the return of the logo shield....
To be fair... PONY ruined it with that odd shape...
At least NIKE have returned to the original 1960's design!
I'm all for it personally...
The late '80s/early '90s re-design always looked a bit cheap and tacky to me anyway, after the glorious Le Coq Cockerel of the early '80s!!!

Every time Walker flapped or let in a shit goal, he'd sit or stand there with this gormless fucking grin on his face.

I wanted to run on the pitch and punch him so hard - letting a pathetic goal in is not fucking funny mate!

Back
Top Bottom