Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think it was more an absolutely shocking effort by Solorth than a great save by Lloris but he made the save and didn't cost us.

I don't think it was a great performance and it wasn't the worst but something definitely seem a bit off with him lately. Almost shows how high our expectations are of him when he's kept 3 cleansheets in our last 5 league games and saved us 6 points within that time!

He was fucking awful today.

I love Lloris, but call a spade a spade. His ‘great saves’ were fired straight at him. A well placed traffic cone would have saved that late shot. He made some awful decisions and passes that put us in unnecessary trouble.

I’m putting it down to the weather conditions, but it’s a bit worrying. It’s like he’s gone completely off the rails after winning the World Cup. Personally I’d have Kane or Vertonghen ahead of him as captain.

Or Sissoko. Why not?

He kept a clean sheet ... what more can a keeper do?

Unquestionably he flapped at a couple, but his positioning was as always near perfection, great saves are fired 'straight at him' because he's in the right place ... he hardly ever gets beaten at the near post, Townsend tried hard enough, when faced with one on one's he makes himself huge ... good players missing the target is as much about the keeper cutting off the easy path to goal as it is about them missing ... how often does a player run around Hugo? or slip the ball through his legs?

His distribution does make you tremble at times, but as a team we play the ball through him all the time, it's just when he misplaces a pass it looks worse than when a CB does it ... needs to cut out the howlers but he's arguably still the best sweeper - keeper in the EPL still ....

He's not at his best no denying that, on and off field issues this year, but he's still one of the very best keepers in the world ... and a fantastic captain ...

He kept a clean sheet ... what more can a keeper do?

Unquestionably he flapped at a couple, but his positioning was as always near perfection, great saves are fired 'straight at him' because he's in the right place ... he hardly ever gets beaten at the near post, Townsend tried hard enough, when faced with one on one's he makes himself huge ... good players missing the target is as much about the keeper cutting off the easy path to goal as it is about them missing ... how often does a player run around Hugo? or slip the ball through his legs?

His distribution does make you tremble at times, but as a team we play the ball through him all the time, it's just when he misplaces a pass it looks worse than when a CB does it ... needs to cut out the howlers but he's arguably still the best sweeper - keeper in the EPL still ....

He's not at his best no denying that, on and off field issues this year, but he's still one of the very best keepers in the world ... and a fantastic captain ...

This...just this. Couldn't put it better myself.
I bet he's earned us hundreds of points and cost us only a handful so on behalf of hugo: fuck the haters.

He's our best keeper with years at the top in front of him.

A couple of shaky moments yesterday, but ultimately he won us the game (along with Foyth of course).

The traffic cone analogy is so ridiculous! So shots that are aimed directly at the keeper or "are at a comfortable height", no longer count as saves? What if he'd anticipated and gone done low to his left or right? Sorloth's shot would have gone in. Then we'd be having the '"he should have saved it" conversation.

Long may he stand between our posts!

The argument about whether he should be captain is another one. I'm not in favour of a 'keeper as captain.

tumblr_mq6luctKP21qbo81go1_250.gif

I noticed that whilst Lloris did not have the ball that much but he sent the ball long much more rather than risk a short pass to the defenders and risk being pressured into a mistake.

Save percentage isn’t a great stat. Different teams allow different types of shots.

Also, keepers that stay on their line will likely have a higher %. Sweeper keepers or keepers that come for crosses do not get credit for these plays with a save.

Save percentage isn’t a great stat. Different teams allow different types of shots.

Also, keepers that stay on their line will likely have a higher %. Sweeper keepers or keepers that come for crosses do not get credit for these plays with a save.
The best stat is probably an 'XG' at least this takes into account the quality of the shot. But it's really hard to quantify a 'keepers performance through numbers. If you are a 'keeper that plays for a team that presses high up the pitch well, like us, City, Liverpool etc... then that keeper doesn't face many shots. A team that sits deep might concede shots but they could be all be a low 'XG' as they could well be from outside the box.

Does it? Or does it just attempt to say how many goals should be scored from the place from which/circumstances under which a shot is attempted?
There are many models for expected goals but the algorithm should reflect on similar factors such as distance to goal, where the shot was taken, the body part used and the type of pass, if any, the player received. Were there opponents in the way? Were they close and how many? Was the chance a volley or was the ball on the ground?

Heading in a cross is generally a skill more difficult to achieve than shooting with a foot and will therefore have a lower value than one where the ball rolls perfectly into the path of an attacker.

It shouldn't solely be just from shot location for instance.

I have seen someone attempt to produce an XG for 'keepers, I might have posted it in Lloris thread that shows just how fucking good the man is and that included his errors that lead to a goal. But it was an algorithm created by a stats geek (well known one) but not adopted or taken up yet.

Thought the 2nd and 3rd goal were savable. Auba hit a good shot but the defender had the far post covered and aubamayangs hips were way open so it was clearly the near post he was shooting at. Hugo didn’t change his angle at all... think he wasn’t ready for the first time shot.

3rd one was a bit more unlucky but slooooooowly went into the corner.

Second goal was unsaveable in my opinion. It was an incredible finish from Aubamayang. One we'd have hailed as one of his best goals if Kane struck it.

I probably wouldn't blame him for the Lacazette goal either. It took a deflection off Dier which made it difficult for him.

He was let down by a very poor defence today.

Back
Top Bottom