Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He came off the line to a ball Tanganga had covered actually creating the chance for city by taking himself and Tanganga out of the game. The centre halves did very well to defend the incident. You say 5 on 3, when the through ball was played in was 3 defenders against Sterling.
The move started with a 4 vs 3 in City's favour, Sterling was in advance of Marhez. Marhez then played the ball to Sterling (I don't know why as he would have been better to carry on his unopposed run, maybe because City are such a side team with their tactical fouling that he thought Aurier, who was trying hard to close him, might do the same on him, so he elected to pass early???). The pass wasn't clean and at no point did Sterling have it under control or even under his feet. In fact, Tanganga was now the favourite. 99/100 times that's the 'keepers ball, as he's the player with the view up the pitch, he would have shouted for it, claimed it, Tangagna didn't hear him and rather let the ball run he turned into Lloris's path. But I say again, that's Lloris's ball and were it not for Tanganga getting in the way he would have got to the ball.

The move started with a 4 vs 3 in City's favour, Sterling was in advance of Marhez. Marhez then played the ball to Sterling (I don't know why as he would have been better to carry on his unopposed run, maybe because City are such a side team with their tactical fouling that he thought Aurier, who was trying hard to close him, might do the same on him, so he elected to pass early???). The pass wasn't clean and at no point did Sterling have it under control or even under his feet. In fact, Tanganga was now the favourite. 99/100 times that's the 'keepers ball, as he's the player with the view up the pitch, he would have shouted for it, claimed it, Tangagna didn't hear him and rather let the ball run he turned into Lloris's path. But I say again, that's Lloris's ball and were it not for Tanganga getting in the way he would have got to the ball.

How the hell is this:

Lloris’s ball? There’s two defenders between the player with the ball and Lloris. It was a terrible decision.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

While we have always rated Lloris highly, the Frenchman has never really come across as much of a verbal leader on the pitch.

Having said this, since coming back into the side, we have seen him adding that to his game.

Shouting at his defenders to keep them well-drilled, coming out and claiming balls that he would ordinarily avoid, squaring up to Sterling and showing aggression and passion.

In the modern game, a keeper has to be strong, powerful, and aggressive when coming off his line. He has to give his defence confidence that he is going to catch or punch it away every time, or be ready to collect a ball over the top.

We are absolutely loving this louder version of Hugo, and long may it continue.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

While we have always rated Lloris highly, the Frenchman has never really come across as much of a verbal leader on the pitch.

Having said this, since coming back into the side, we have seen him adding that to his game.

Shouting at his defenders to keep them well-drilled, coming out and claiming balls that he would ordinarily avoid, squaring up to Sterling and showing aggression and passion.

In the modern game, a keeper has to be strong, powerful, and aggressive when coming off his line. He has to give his defence confidence that he is going to catch or punch it away every time, or be ready to collect a ball over the top.

He's always shouted. This is nothing new. You can hear him every single game. Can't stand how so many people rewrite history on players just to cover their arses when they have it wrong about a player. (I'm guessing that this fella is in that category).

He's always shouted. This is nothing new. You can hear him every single game. Can't stand how so many people rewrite history on players just to cover their arses when they have it wrong about a player. (I'm guessing that this fella is in that category).
You are right. I hear him shouting "Away!!!" and "Merde!!!" all the time.

There does seem to be something more aggressive about him since he has come back. Maybe Magic Mou has reinvigorated him?

You are right. I hear him shouting "Away!!!" and "Merde!!!" all the time.

There does seem to be something more aggressive about him since he has come back. Maybe Magic Mou has reinvigorated him?
Him getting into Sterlings face was most enjoyable.

But he has this in him, he's a notorious fierce competitor. I've had a little search for an article written on him before he came to us where this was detailed, typical I can't locate it. I've posted on here before his now-notorious outburst when he goes apeshit after losing a cup game when at Lyon. Then there was that "fuck you" to the Ajax player lying on the floor as he ran past him.

People don't use their eyes, make stuff up to suit a narrative that 'keepers can't be Captains. Let's not forget that he was also the choice of the players as well as the coaching staff.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

He is the skipper of the last World Cup winning team that says it all, he has gravitas!

I'll have some humble pie as well.

Gazza handled filling in well enough. but Hugo has shown since coming back why he is a world champion and a first choice GK.

Welcome back skipper.

Him getting into Sterlings face was most enjoyable.

But he has this in him, he's a notorious fierce competitor. I've had a little search for an article written on him before he came to us where this was detailed, typical I can't locate it. I've posted on here before his now-notorious outburst when he goes apeshit after losing a cup game when at Lyon. Then there was that "fuck you" to the Ajax player lying on the floor as he ran past him.

People don't use their eyes, make stuff up to suit a narrative that 'keepers can't be Captains. Let's not forget that he was also the choice of the players as well as the coaching staff.
People who say that keeper's can't be captains are those that pine for the likes of Terry Butcher, the let's 'ave 'em type who are always on hand with a military metaphor

People who say that keeper's can't be captains are those that pine for the likes of Terry Butcher, the let's 'ave 'em type who are always on hand with a military metaphor
I can understand why fans will gravitate to the chest beaters but this isn't leadership, it's just someone playing up to the camera's, playing the part of a Roy of the Rovers stereotype in order to get people to say what a great leader they are, and enforce the cyle.

Whilst the role of the Captain has certainly changed over the years, the role of a great Captain perhaps hasn't?? I think it's possible to trace similar traits and similar examples across different eras of the game. There aren't many of them around and to be fair we only really get to truly judge them as to how good a Captain they were when they have hung up their boots or moved from the Club, because we aren't at the training ground or in the dressing room. Hence the judgement is framed solely on the chest-beating and finger-pointing.

Personally, I don’t really want it to be a tub thumper, but I would prefer it to be (captan) a player who’s amongst the game, who is a good communicator and organiser who can effect those around him (instructively, motivationally etc) more easily than a player who is isolated from the game much of the time, like a keeper, or even a striker.

And I would prefer it not to be a player who has a track record of flapping under the pressure of big games (like Lloris did again in the WC final). Hardly the best captain’s example.

Goalkeepers shouldn't be captains, they should be allowed to lead from the back though.

Since it is supposed to be the captain who is the only player allowed to speak to the referee, how can he plead the case for a player in the opposition's penalty area?

Keepers are leaders, regardless of having an armband or not.

Goalkeepers shouldn't be captains, they should be allowed to lead from the back though.

Since it is supposed to be the captain who is the only player allowed to speak to the referee, how can he plead the case for a player in the opposition's penalty area?

Keepers are leaders, regardless of having an armband or not.
Your last sentence there is key I think, but not just for keepers, I'd rephrase it as "Certain players are leaders, regardless of..."

I've often cited an interview I saw with Xavi some years ago in which he said that the armband was irrelevent, it was a symbolic thing. The traditional captain's role - inspiring, geeing up a tired teammate and so on - was undertaken by different players as the spirit moved them.

In Spain for example it isn't seen as something of any real importance, here the talk is of the "capitanes" of the team - the senior players with the most weight in the changing room etc.

A very mixed bag from him tonight.

Should of came for the ball over/around Jan.
Poor parry for their goal, albeit after a good save.
Made a good save in the first with his legs after a deflection
Another good save from the header from 6 yards.

Obviously we don't know the reason, but it was a bit strange.

Poch would have played Gazza as our "Cup 'keeper"

he makes good saves but for a top goalie he doesn't seem to clear the ball into a safe area (pushing it wide of the goal)
one of his main weaknesses is his kicking, surely with his time off due to injury he should have worked on his goal kicks ?

Back
Top Bottom