Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo has been a great servant™️ to the club but it's hard to argue that he hasn't been a huge distraction since France's WC win. The DUI, the howlers, the quotes about fans tempering expectations, the articles about his DUI and how his personal life has affected his play, etc.

Hugo will be 33 in January. I'm fairly convinced that Gazzaniga isn't good enough to be Spurs undisputed #1, but he now has a chance to take a huge step in his career. Lloris and Gazzaniga are both on contracts through June 2022 (per Transfermarkt)... not sure what that means for transfer dynamics but if I had to bet I'd wager that Spurs sell Gazzaniga for peanuts next summer and buy a top tier GK. All depends on Paulo's performance over these next months but we seem to lose whenever he plays, similar to Vorm before he was demoted to #3.

To be fair we've lost 17 times in 2019 (more than any other Premier League club) so maybe I have some confirmation bias against Gazzaniga. We are going to need for him to overachieve like the rest of Spurs have. 🙏Inshallah 🙏

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Lloris is still a sublime shot stopper and his distribution is underrated, compared to some of the shit you see from most PL keepers he is miles ahead when it comes to passing the ball.

We all know he is prone to errors but he has always been like that, it’s nothing new. To buy a proven keeper who is better than him would cost £70m, we are not going to spend that on a keeper. We need to keep lookout for a young talent who can come in as his future replacement, I’m not convinced Gazzaniga is good enough.

Lloris is still a sublime shot stopper and his distribution is underrated, compared to some of the shit you see from most PL keepers he is miles ahead when it comes to passing the ball.

We all know he is prone to errors but he has always been like that, it’s nothing new. To buy a proven keeper who is better than him would cost £70m, we are not going to spend that on a keeper. We need to keep lookout for a young talent who can come in as his future replacement, I’m not convinced Gazzaniga is good enough.
Gazzaniga isn’t the answer IMO. He is better with the ball at his feet though. Hugo gets through his fair share of passes though but I think he’s a tad ponderous, doesn’t move it fast enough which means defender receives ball under more pressure.

I’m a bit of a stuck record but I’ll say again, the other so called best ‘keepers in the world right now are also making errors, in some games way more than Hugo, the only difference is the attacking team hasn’t scored as a result of them! I watch Edderson & Allisson make big errors almost every game just the oppo not scoring off them is the difference.

Most interesting about that is the amount of shots he's faced.

But then, that is what makes the GK position difficult to quantify. I've been MotM after conceding 4 goals, which only makes sense when you know I made 20+ saves and the scoreline could have been horrific!

The thing with Lloris is that he no longer an exceptional keeper, or at least not as unique as he once was when he played on the edge of his area and our defense were pressing on the halfway line. Hugo plays in his box now and is as fallible as any other keeper out there. Sure, his shot stopping is still excellent, distribution from hands is great, his distribution for feet not so great, and as someone finally said, gets beat at his near post too often!!

...and that he gets beaten at his near post too often.
:thumbup:

With that said, I don't think he's easy to upgrade, there's no-one in the Prem I'd particularly prefer. I don't know much about foreign leagues and a YT vid of some saves isn't going to convince me of anyone, especially considering the debate is in regards to Lloris' decision making, distribution etc. I could put together a video of equal or better saves that Lloris has made in the last 12 months yet we're still all talking about moving him on.

Personally, I feel the best time to make a decision on Lloris is when we know what he's like once he's physically recovered. An injury like that on a keeper could really affect him psychologically and I don't know how Hugo will deal with it. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll know whether both he and Gazzaniga are capable of playing at the level we need.

Most interesting about that is the amount of shots he's faced.

But then, that is what makes the GK position difficult to quantify. I've been MotM after conceding 4 goals, which only makes sense when you know I made 20+ saves and the scoreline could have been horrific!

The thing with Lloris is that he no longer an exceptional keeper, or at least not as unique as he once was when he played on the edge of his area and our defense were pressing on the halfway line. Hugo plays in his box now and is as fallible as any other keeper out there. Sure, his shot stopping is still excellent, distribution from hands is great, his distribution for feet not so great, and as someone finally said, gets beat at his near post too often!!

:thumbup:

With that said, I don't think he's easy to upgrade, there's no-one in the Prem I'd particularly prefer. I don't know much about foreign leagues and a YT vid of some saves isn't going to convince me of anyone, especially considering the debate is in regards to Lloris' decision making, distribution etc. I could put together a video of equal or better saves that Lloris has made in the last 12 months yet we're still all talking about moving him on.

Personally, I feel the best time to make a decision on Lloris is when we know what he's like once he's physically recovered. An injury like that on a keeper could really affect him psychologically and I don't know how Hugo will deal with it. Hopefully by the end of the season we'll know whether both he and Gazzaniga are capable of playing at the level we need.
Statistically, he's a better 'keeper today than the one that played sweeper 'keeper!!! I can't find it now but read an article a few months ago that was going on about the location of 'keepers, and within the piece they spoke about Lloris, the player that sweeped up behind his high-line defence. They now showed that his average position had changed dramatically, as he's moved further back. This came in line with an increased number of save percentage!

There is still very little "keeper data that's used appropriately, if at all. Right now it's was it a goal or not and on that is where the judgement is being made. As XG is being collated it's still a surprise that this isn't applied to goalkeepers as a form of measurement.

Sorry what the fuck are you talking about?!

Back
Top Bottom