Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Binoculars required (and team names for ease of reading), but nice one....

So if you're aspiring to be like Livepool/City, your keeper should be hitting the oppo box then....
Strange how it came out so small on here??

Obviously, it's a really small sample size (4 games & don't forget that Alisson is injured and Adrian is playing in his absence) and it's basically saying so few teams have been able to force even a goal kick out of either of them. But it's what annoys me a lot about the narratives around Ederson and Alisson. They do fuck up a lot, especially when you think on percentage terms, yet everyone says they are the best 'keepers in the World!!! Edderson is good however with the ball at his feet, I acknowledge that.

What caught my eye was with Lloris, when he goes long it's almost always to our right, (very left-footed kicking) same with Rui Patricio, whilst Adrian favours the left (a right-footer). de Gea, a 'keeper who's distribution is far worse than Lloris op'ts to go down the middle when going long.

When Van Gaal was United manager there was a very clear tactic from goal kicks that Fellaini would vacate the midfield and drift to the wings to provide De Gea with diagonals which the big guy won the flick on or brought it down with his chest.

De Gea's short passing is not impressive but he can ping a stationary ball 40-50 yards as good as anyone. Hugo on the other hand seems to always want a moving ball hence we take some real risks around our own box but sometimes it pays off.

Strange how it came out so small on here??

Obviously, it's a really small sample size (4 games & don't forget that Alisson is injured and Adrian is playing in his absence) and it's basically saying so few teams have been able to force even a goal kick out of either of them. But it's what annoys me a lot about the narratives around Ederson and Alisson. They do fuck up a lot, especially when you think on percentage terms, yet everyone says they are the best 'keepers in the World!!! Edderson is good however with the ball at his feet, I acknowledge that.

What caught my eye was with Lloris, when he goes long it's almost always to our right, (very left-footed kicking) same with Rui Patricio, whilst Adrian favours the left (a right-footer). de Gea, a 'keeper who's distribution is far worse than Lloris op'ts to go down the middle when going long.

It isn't about the goalkeeper's preference, or what foot they use imo. It's about the manager's instructions based on who's there to flick it on or knock it down.

Patricio has Doherty/Traore on the right, plus Dendoncker starting right among the CM's, plus Jimenez mostly having his starting position more to the right. Compared to Jonny, Moutinho, and Jota on the left. Would be insanity hitting anything at height to the left!

Adrian has Robertson and Mane on the left, vs TAA and Salah. Again just following the logic option.

Hugo almost always sees Sissiko pull towards the right when it looks like going long, and despite a mix on the frontline so far this season, if you had to place someone, then Moura has mostly started right-ish and is a better option than Son/Eriksen on the left.

It isn't about the goalkeeper's preference, or what foot they use imo. It's about the manager's instructions based on who's there to flick it on or knock it down.

Patricio has Doherty/Traore on the right, plus Dendoncker starting right among the CM's, plus Jimenez mostly having his starting position more to the right. Compared to Jonny, Moutinho, and Jota on the left. Would be insanity hitting anything at height to the left!

Adrian has Robertson and Mane on the left, vs TAA and Salah. Again just following the logic option.

Hugo almost always sees Sissiko pull towards the right when it looks like going long, and despite a mix on the frontline so far this season, if you had to place someone, then Moura has mostly started right-ish and is a better option than Son/Eriksen on the left.
Without a doubt, there will be some kind of instruction behind it but I absolutely do not by into Moura is a better option than Son. I'd argue Moura is the worst option of the two, he can't/doesn't hold the ball up, he's good at running at the oppo (as too is Son) but unless they are either both supported by other players they aren't going to look to run in behind when Hugo goes long, they will look to hold up the ball until there are numbers to support an attack hopefully with an overload.

A number of other factors might be a play, and that's what the oppo are doing to Hugo, it's not something I've looked at regarding Hugo, so can't say specifically but to flip it just for a second, we always have someone put the oppo 'keeper under pressure to make them kick it and hopefully go long (so we can look to win the 2nd ball), when we do this watch our players bend or angle their run as they approach the keeper, they close off one side inviting the 'keeper to kick to one side, maybe the oppo is also doing this to us?

All in all, it's a way too small data size after 4 games but it still intrigued me at how already there were very big differences in some cases.

Without a doubt, there will be some kind of instruction behind it but I absolutely do not by into Moura is a better option than Son. I'd argue Moura is the worst option of the two, he can't/doesn't hold the ball up, he's good at running at the oppo (as too is Son) but unless they are either both supported by other players they aren't going to look to run in behind when Hugo goes long, they will look to hold up the ball until there are numbers to support an attack hopefully with an overload.

I did say this

It's about the manager's instructions based on who's there to flick it on or knock it down.

You'll rarely find space and time in the PL to - from a goal kick - to run in behind (unless it's Edinson kicking, maybe) or bring it down to hold it up. It's all about winning the first ball in the air and taking it from there.

Is it your serious claim that Son is better aerial option than Moura?

This season Moura 1.7 aerial duals won per 90, behind only Jan, Toby and Sanchez. Son on 1.0

Last season Moura 2.1 per 90, behind only Jan. Son on 1.1.

And Moura with four headed goals, combined this and last season. Most of anyone on our team. Son on zero.

I did say this

You'll rarely find space and time in the PL to - from a goal kick - to run in behind (unless it's Edinson kicking, maybe) or bring it down to hold it up. It's all about winning the first ball in the air and taking it from there.

Is it your serious claim that Son is better aerial option than Moura?

This season Moura 1.7 aerial duals won per 90, behind only Jan, Toby and Sanchez. Son on 1.0

Last season Moura 2.1 per 90, behind only Jan. Son on 1.1.

And Moura with four headed goals, combined this and last season. Most of anyone on our team. Son on zero.
Moura is our best header of the ball, end of. But going long doesn't mean the ball is on his head.

Moura is our best header of the ball, end of. But going long doesn't mean the ball is on his head.

We'll just have to disagree then. Ideally it doesn't mean that, but in reality it does imho. Pinging balls into feet or space from a goal kick to, at least, the halfway line is hard skill for any goalie. And it's a much riskier proposition, than choosing where we're deemed to have the best chance of winning a header, when the primary goal for Poch is always to retain possession and build again. The first has to be pinged precisely for our attacker not to be outmuscled or even whacked in the process, while the second can float longer with our attacker having time to adjust the jump.

I don't know which teams it is, you're seeing letting our most dangerous man with the ball at his feet in Son just run free on receive a goal kick, without it being highly, highly contested. And that's if Hugo can even hit it there in the first place!

Last edited:
We'll just have to disagree then. Ideally it doesn't mean that, but in reality it does imho. Pinging balls into feet or space from a goal kick to, at least, the halfway line is hard skill for any goalie. And it's a much riskier proposition, than choosing where we're deemed to have the best chance of winning a header, when the primary goal for Poch is always to retain possession and build again. The first has to be pinged precisely for our attacker not to be outmuscled or even whacked in the process, while the second can float longer with our attacker having time to adjust the jump.
The option for Hugo to go long only presents itself when there is nothing on short. Because we've gone long doesn't mean we are trying to flick the ball onto a runner behind their defence, we play with one man up top, so chances are he's up top on his own, especially as our first option is to playout it's likely Son/Eriksen/Moura/Lamela/whoever are all a good +10m deeper to support the defence in playing it out initially.

So when Hugo has chosen to go long it's to an isolated forward, if he's supported by another player, I'd bet they are far apart ergo not close enough for a flick-on or a lay-off and run behind. Whoever it's gone to will be looking to hold it up rather than play for a flick-on/lay-off. As you rightly say we are primarily looking to regain possession of the ball, and therefore NOT flick it on.

One thing the graphics didn't show was the accuracy of those kicks, so we don't even know if they are indeed finding another Spurs player, but despite Lloris's kicking is quite poor, I do believe he has one of, if not the highest, long ball accuracy rates (approx 70%???) in the league (that stat, if I've remembered it correctly is from the year Liverpool bought Allisson and I posted an excellent article written that supported this in this thread somewhere).

Hugo does panic when closed down.

Here is a visual representation...

p7pMr6.gif

Embarrassing from our fucking club captain. Said it before and some ppl here criticized me for it but i'll keep saying it again, Hugo is simply not captain material. Motivation required at all times from the Captain whatever he thinks. Good goalie, but hes too negative to be a proper leader. About time to hand Kane the captaincy without doubt or even Jan/Toby.

Oh for fuck sake, why is he talking to the press again?! Someone tape his mouth up please!
:pochfacepalm:
Those are not the words our club captain should be saying.

I know it's a free country and all that, but our players and management need to have their gobs taped up.
They should be more like Daniel Levy, he doesn't give interviews and only rarely expresses his thoughts through Spurs official channels.
Or take up Kate Moss' mantra - never complain, never explain!

Last edited:
Embarrassing from our fucking club captain. Said it before and some ppl here criticized me for it but i'll keep saying it again, Hugo is simply not captain material. Motivation required at all times from the Captain whatever he thinks. Good goalie, but hes too negative to be a proper leader. About time to hand Kane the captaincy without doubt or even Jan/Toby.
Yeah because Kane doesn't say a word to anyone at the club, he just turns up in his car and fucks off, you must share this view, no?

Hugo simply saying what most people on here think.

Little old plucky Spurs with the same budget as Kettering Town shouldn’t be winning finals and getting there is the best we can expect and we should talk about it for all eternity

Hugo simply saying what most people on here think.

Little old plucky Spurs with the same budget as Kettering Town shouldn’t be winning finals and getting there is the best we can expect and we should talk about it for all eternity

Just a slight difference between what the general public may or may not think in a Spurs football forum and what the Captain of the Tottenham first team says to the media ...don't you think ?
In French it's called 'diplomatie' , in English 'diplomacy' but 99 times out of a hundred across the world it's referred to as common sense.

Just a slight difference between what the general public may or may not think in a Spurs football forum and what the Captain of the Tottenham first team says to the media ...don't you think ?
In French it's called 'diplomatie' , in English 'diplomacy' but 99 times out of a hundred across the world it's referred to as common sense.

Yeah I think it’s silly view and even sillier for him to air it

In the same interview quoted above Hugo also opened up about if he would finish his career with us. To which he said "most likely not". He sees himself as having plenty of years left in him and is open about having an adventure in the states once he is done with us.

How long is his contract? Can we expect a change between the sticks in the near future or not you think?

In the same interview quoted above Hugo also opened up about if he would finish his career with us. To which he said "most likely not". He sees himself as having plenty of years left in him and is open about having an adventure in the states once he is done with us.

How long is his contract? Can we expect a change between the sticks in the near future or not you think?

Back
Top Bottom