Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess you can’t actually find anything then Borodin55 Borodin55 ?

Long story short he said there is something missing, but this is football and that can change quickly.

In other words, we are not in the title race now (see league table to validate Hugo) and shouldn’t entertain those questions, but things can turn and we should see where we are in April.

Nothing wrong with that at all, don’t get yourself worked up over headlines read the whole article first mate.

:harrysmile:

He said we can’t be expected to challenge for the title right now. Which is true. A team that can lose to Newcastle in the manner that we did is not ready to challenge. Perhaps if the leaders stumble we can get into the race later in the season if the team progresses well.

Delusional talk from our players about challenging for the title preceded both the defeat to Burnley last season that started our implosion and the defeat to Newcastle this season. The team needs to understand just how far away from the standard of Liverpool and City we are and stop talking about the title. We are already 8 points behind the leaders and will have to work incredibly hard on all areas of our game to end up with a smaller gap than last season.

Hugo is absolutely right to say we need to focus on winning games and being consistent, to challenge properly we will need to win 10+ games in a row at least twice in the season. We are a million miles away from doing that at this moment in time. We can talk about the title if by some miracle we are within touching distance in the final furlong. Both Klopp last season and Ranieri in the Leicester season purposefully avoided talking about the title, it can only make you look foolish when you are an outsider and put unnecessary pressure on the team. Just let the results do the talking.
Why did he have to say anything at all? Just all seems to be going a bit skew-whiffy at the moment.... and not just our captain.

So use the original quotes, sentences in full not taken out of context, and tell me which part is actually being negative towards the club.
The France goalkeeper said: "Liverpool and Man City have the experience and they are really competitive.
I think, at the moment, there's something missing from us. We will see later in the season because things turn very quickly in football.

He is implying the team is currently lacking in some way in comparison to our two main rivals. As I said earlier, why come out with this at all ? Why not post a statement that reads...
"We realise the result against Newcastle was disappointing for our fans but we have addressed the issues internally and we intend coming out all guns blazing as soon as the International break ends !"

As a supporter I want to be inspired and have my confidence restored by Poch and the team Captain. I want to look forward to the next match with optimism not concern.

You say we should not interpret his words in a negative or uninspiring fashion....well how come the media have not followed your example and decided to print :

Hugo Lloris says Tottenham are 'missing something' to win league (Sky Sports)

Hugo Lloris explains why Tottenham do not have a chance of winning the Premier League (Mirror)

Yes you can say they have twisted his words and turned it into something it's not and maybe you are right. My point is he shouldn't have opened his mouth and spoken those words to them in the first place.

The France goalkeeper said: "Liverpool and Man City have the experience and they are really competitive.
I think, at the moment, there's something missing from us. We will see later in the season because things turn very quickly in football.

He is implying the team is currently lacking in some way in comparison to our two main rivals. As I said earlier, why come out with this at all ? Why not post a statement that reads...
"We realise the result against Newcastle was disappointing for our fans but we have addressed the issues internally and we intend coming out all guns blazing as soon as the International break ends !"

As a supporter I want to be inspired and have my confidence restored by Poch and the team Captain. I want to look forward to the next match with optimism not concern.

You say we should not interpret his words in a negative or uninspiring fashion....well how come the media have not followed your example and decided to print :

Hugo Lloris says Tottenham are 'missing something' to win league (Sky Sports)

Hugo Lloris explains why Tottenham do not have a chance of winning the Premier League (Mirror)

Yes you can say they have twisted his words and turned it into something it's not and maybe you are right. My point is he shouldn't have opened his mouth and spoken those words to them in the first place.
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I am not willing to start having a go at our captain for one short sentence “there’s something missing”.

I get the school of thought that he doesn’t have to say anything at all, but what he actually did say I don’t find that negative to be honest.

I personally like the fact he is deflecting any questions that insinuate we see ourselves as title challengers. As someone else touched on earlier, all the big successful managers deflect title talk away from their teams to relieve pressure no matter how close they are.

The question posed to him was to do with Liverpool, city & the title. He answered it quite sensibly.

Look at the winks quotes a few weeks ago after the city game, he said liverpool and city need to be scared of us, what happens the next game? We lose at home to Newcastle.

I prefer my players deflecting for the moment, until our mentality proves to be less fragile. The winks quotes prove that.

I am not willing to start having a go at our captain for one short sentence “there’s something missing”.

I get the school of thought that he doesn’t have to say anything at all, but what he actually did say I don’t find that negative to be honest.

I personally like the fact he is deflecting any questions that insinuate we see ourselves as title challengers. As someone else touched on earlier, all the big successful managers deflect title talk away from their teams to relieve pressure no matter how close they are.

The question posed to him was to do with Liverpool, city & the title. He answered it quite sensibly.

Look at the winks quotes a few weeks ago after the city game, he said liverpool and city need to be scared of us, what happens the next game? We lose at home to Newcastle.

I prefer my players deflecting for the moment, until our mentality proves to be less fragile. The winks quotes prove that.

We will agree to disagree but there is no need to feed the scandal hungry football media any scraps at all. They are quite capable of creating their own sensational headlines. Hugo does little for the club when he is pandering to their appetites with statements like "there's something missing from us". They jump on such words like a pack of hyenas and come up with the notion he has stated he does not think we will win the league.
Defend him all you will but it shows a naivety beyond belief. I appreciate the language difference may cause him to be open to misinterpretation some times but on this occasion it offers no defence.

I too would much rather read 'fighting talk' (however optimistic) than hints at an early capitulation regarding a realistic title challenge being a distinct possibility.
Leave it at that.....:thumbup:

EDIT
Latest from the Sun
HUG 'N MISS Hugo Lloris admits Spurs are ‘missing something’ as skipper doubts title credentials

One football.com
Hugo Lloris claims Tottenham are 'missing something' for title push

Sportsmole
Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has conceded that his side are 'missing something' in order to launch a serious challenge for this season's Premier League title.

Daily Mail
Hugo Lloris insists Tottenham have no chance of winning Premier League because they are 'missing something'

See what I mean ?? Unnecessary and most unwelcome headlines for everybody concerned with the club to have to read.

Last edited:
We will agree to disagree but there is no need to feed the scandal hungry football media any scraps at all. They are quite capable of creating their own sensational headlines. Hugo does little for the club when he is pandering to their appetites with statements like "there's something missing from us". They jump on such words like a pack of hyenas and come up with the notion he has stated he does not think we will win the league.
Defend him all you will but it shows a naivety beyond belief. I appreciate the language difference may cause him to be open to misinterpretation some times but on this occasion it offers no defence.

I too would much rather read 'fighting talk' (however optimistic) than hints at an early capitulation regarding a realistic title challenge being a distinct possibility.
Leave it at that.....:thumbup:

EDIT
Latest from the Sun
HUG 'N MISS Hugo Lloris admits Spurs are ‘missing something’ as skipper doubts title credentials

One football.com
Hugo Lloris claims Tottenham are 'missing something' for title push

Sportsmole
Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has conceded that his side are 'missing something' in order to launch a serious challenge for this season's Premier League title.

Daily Mail
Hugo Lloris insists Tottenham have no chance of winning Premier League because they are 'missing something'

See what I mean ?? Unnecessary and most unwelcome headlines for everybody concerned with the club to have to read.
Fair enough.

Just difference in preference. For me the words of winks are a perfect example of what I don’t want at the moment.

The correlation between poor results and our players being too positive about the title race while talking up our chances is absolutely damning.

Every time we speak about it, we have a poor result. I could get you a detailed list if I didn’t need to nod off now.

So yes I take your point he doesn’t need to use those exact words, and we will leave it at that but I would rather Hugo’s quotes over the over optimistic unrealistic quotes that draw attention to us.

We are an outfit that seems to thrive under the radar instead of under pressure. Until the mentality changes (and I think that it will take a trophy to do that) then I would rather us stay under the radar and leave the fighting talk until we are champions of something.

For reasons like this I prefer our players just don't ever mention titles or trophies or pressure. It always seems to backfire.

I'm with Jay on this one, reading the actual quotes from the article they're really not that bad. And I have no problem with Hugo saying what he said.

People have got to stop feeding the beast and taking the media seriously. The headlines are just clickbait to get people into the page and the more people visit the more money they get. Journalists put a negative spin on things to get people riled up and arguing about it, which again generates more clicks.

I agree that all players shouldn't say anything at all.
1) it can be twisted by the media.
2) it comes back to bite us.
I don't really care what they are thinking, TBH, just give your all on the pitch, that's all I ask.

Well, if someone gets agitated by anyone saying that we have "something missing" compared to ManC or Pool... then you have some sort of issues :D

Sorry, but it would be borderline delusional - every small aspect of real world serves as a proof. May it be league table. May it be the very game against one of them where shots were 30-3. May it be our two weak performances against bottom half teams.

Saying that right now we DON'T have anything missing is as delusional as Wet Spam fans suggesting that their aim is top 4 this season etc...

Well, if someone gets agitated by anyone saying that we have "something missing" compared to ManC or Pool... then you have some sort of issues :D

Sorry, but it would be borderline delusional - every small aspect of real world serves as a proof. May it be league table. May it be the very game against one of them where shots were 30-3. May it be our two weak performances against bottom half teams.

Saying that right now we DON'T have anything missing is as delusional as Wet Spam fans suggesting that their aim is top 4 this season etc...
You are totally missing the point.I'm not saying it wasn't factual, but you keep your opinion "in house". Just look at the negative headlines it's caused. I've never once said I disagree with what Hugo stated...there was just no need to publicly declare it. Completely unnecessary.

You are totally missing the point.I'm not saying it wasn't factual, but you keep your opinion "in house". Just look at the negative headlines it's caused. I've never once said I disagree with what Hugo stated...there was just no need to publicly declare it. Completely unnecessary.

Nah, don't care.
Everyone with their eyes open can see it themselves... and media always finds something to stir shit around. So no harm done.

I'm with Jay on this one, reading the actual quotes from the article they're really not that bad. And I have no problem with Hugo saying what he said.

People have got to stop feeding the beast and taking the media seriously. The headlines are just clickbait to get people into the page and the more people visit the more money they get. Journalists put a negative spin on things to get people riled up and arguing about it, which again generates more clicks.
People could actually be bothered to read the article too, but I guess most get tiered having put in an enormous amount of effort in to read the headline, it's a big ask to expect any more than that.

Nah, don't care.
Everyone with their eyes open can see it themselves... and media always finds something to stir shit around. So no harm done.
If those headlines were posted up because of comments that Silva or Henderson had said about City or Liverpool we'd all be on here taking the piss and saying what a stupid thing it was to do.. no doubt their fans are currently doing that about us.
Oh I know you'll say "Don't care" and "nothing to worry about" but in my opinion it's not what your Captain should be saying to the media.
We shall obviously agree to differ on this.

Everybody seems focused on whether he should have said it or not. Nobody seems to be considering to which extent he said it on purpose. Knowing full well how the media would spin it.

Hugo is by all accounts a thoughtful and smart guy. A lot of these things may well have been said by Poch and Hugo in clear the air talks after Newcastle, but haven't hit home with some as we let momentum and a 2-0 lead slip against them lot.

For me Hugo is still a good choice as our club captain, but there's always that nagging thing with a keeper being captain. He, Poch, and we need other to step up to the plate as our outfield captains and leaders....leaders not leader. We need everyone to step it up 20% when things aren't flowing and all sunshine.

This is why I argued during the summer that I couldn't see us selling Lamela or Dier in a million years. Right now for me Lamela is the closest we have to an outfield captain. And that's just plain wrong. He's not our main guy, and shouldn't be a guarenteed starter. But he's the only one, I'm seeing running that extra mile, doing so extra hard, and getting scruffy, stuck in. When things aren't truly clicking. Everyone else seems to be passing the buck. Doing the bare minimum, while waiting for Kane to whack one into the top corner. Or Son or Moura to do something brilliant.

Everyone in our team needs to buck up their ideas. Hold themselves and each other responsible when matches are getting away from us. Newcastle wouldn't have happened to City or Pool. Not because they have more skillful players, but because they have more players who would absolutely have taken the game and their teammates by the ballsack if it had developed as it did. This is imo what he's saying is missing.

Hugo has just given everyone something to contemplate for a week and a bit, while they're away from the group. Something that's probably already been said internally. It's now been said for all the World to hear. And rightly so imho. Good on Hugo I say.

What every 'keeper is doing with goal kicks so far this season. At first, I just gave it a quick glance, then I realized I'm way too much of a nerd and I found it quite interesting.

EDsVRbQW4AEllJQ

What every 'keeper is doing with goal kicks so far this season. At first, I just gave it a quick glance, then I realized I'm way too much of a nerd and I found it quite interesting.

EDsVRbQW4AEllJQ

Binoculars required (and team names for ease of reading), but nice one....

So if you're aspiring to be like Livepool/City, your keeper should be hitting the oppo box then....

Back
Top Bottom