Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always been an athletic keeper he's not aging well IMO he makes less and less world class saves to cover up his gaffs. And he has a worrying habit of fucking up in big games. He's the worst of the current top 5 keepers and we should be looking at upgrading on him.

Lets not get TOO crazy, no one is taking Leno over Hugo. While I agree Hugo’s had a tough season, who are we upgrading too, realistically?

Hugo and the defence always lack a leader and solidity when Jan not around

No need to fucking sell him

I wouldn't sell him for lack of leadership.

I'd sell him and upgrade him. Like I said, if Poch desperately wants a keeper who is good with the ball at his feet, sign the guy who is one of the best in the World.

Plus you saw what he could do against us.

Lloris is fine if the margins for error are great. But his one or two mistakes with our current team have too much of an effect. Essentially I feel he is a top 6 keeper, not a top 4 keeper. I hope that makes some sense

He might clear his head, come back in the summer and really prove that he still has something left, but time is against him and his performances this year have not been good enough and his antics off the field did him no favours. Over the years he’s been brilliant, he’s not really brilliant anymore. He looked more Bobby Mimms tonight than anyone should.

Problem is the opposition and a blind man can see Lloris struggles and panics playing it out from the back, it just doesn't suit him. It's an obvious weak point that is regularly exploited. Either this part of his game needs working on, or we change our style, or swap to Gazza.

It doesn't just impact Lloris, you can see the nerves creeping into the entire defence. My old man used to say watching the warm up pre-game that Gazza always hoofed the ball to the coach but Lloris just pinged it anywhere. In this day and age building from the back is massively important. Everyone has a bad game, they are all allowed this without drawing too much criticism but he has the following issues:

- Is too quiet
- Gets caught back on his line so is slow coming out
- Poor distribution
- Looks a nervous wreck

Unfortunately these four issues above are apparent in a lot of games and it's hard to cover it up.

I really like the bloke and he has served us well. An upgrade would be huge cash and i'm not sure we would attract that player. Might be the most difficult position to fill. Saying that i'm a big fan of Gazza

Just my view of things but Lloris has looked increasingly frail and almost scared over the last couple of years and I think it's been the cause of our defensive decline as much as other variables like Toby's contract and our FB rotations and issues.

He does not look like a leader on the pitch anymore and I think that his nervous energy spreads from the back all the way to the top line.

I have loved Hugo and he's been a great servant, the drink driving was a low point admittedly but in no way reflects my feelings about him on pitch. His style of goalkeeping no longer suits our style of play and , obviously this is pure conjecture, but I genuinely think he looks lost out there these days. Like , visibly scared faces constantly.

I agree with those that say we should aim for Cilissen if he wants to leave Barca but there are plenty of other good GK's around and if we go relatively young most will be more accustomed to playing out from the back.

I'm one of his biggest supporters but last night he was poor.

Goal 1. He deserved better protection from Alderwiereld. However should have stopped the shot.
Goal 2. He can see what's going on in front of him rather then Trippier seeing what's happening behind him. He should have taken control of the situation and cleared the ball out and taken Trippier with it, if necessary.

Even having said all this he remains our number 1 keeper. Plays at the weekend without a doubt.

I'm one of his biggest supporters but last night he was poor.

Goal 1. He deserved better protection from Alderwiereld. However should have stopped the shot.
Goal 2. He can see what's going on in front of him rather then Trippier seeing what's happening behind him. He should have taken control of the situation and cleared the ball out and taken Trippier with it, if necessary.

Even having said all this he remains our number 1 keeper. Plays at the weekend without a doubt.

And there lies our biggest issue IMO to many players are selected even though they play shit in this team because we don't have any choice. Lloris knows he won't get dropped.even though he's been our second best keeper so what's the reason to play better? Same goes for Eriksen and Trips, both been poor this season but there ain't a back up for Eriksen and Poch seems reluctant to play Aurier despite IMO he's had a better season then Trips

And there lies our biggest issue IMO to many players are selected even though they play shit in this team because we don't have any choice. Lloris knows he won't get dropped.even though he's been our second best keeper so what's the reason to play better? Same goes for Eriksen and Trips, both been poor this season but there ain't a back up for Eriksen and Poch seems reluctant to play Aurier despite IMO he's had a better season then Trips

I agree about competition for places and have said so in another thread. He was poor yesterday, but for me remains number 1.

Wasn't at fault for the first goal, that was all on Toby. Was at fault for the second goal because of that God awful starting position and indecision when the ball is around 30 yards out.

Funny because I see it completely the opposite.

Toby got turned with a nice touch that can happen to anyone, but Hugo should not be getting beaten at his near post like that.

As for the second, I feel Trippier forced Hugo to come when he didn't need to. Granted Hugo's starting position wasn't ideal, but that ball was for the defender to deal with. Tripps signalling for the ball to run through to Hugo was a mistake, as was then trying to play it back to the keeper without knowing where he was.

Funny because I see it completely the opposite.

Toby got turned with a nice touch that can happen to anyone, but Hugo should not be getting beaten at his near post like that.

As for the second, I feel Trippier forced Hugo to come when he didn't need to. Granted Hugo's starting position wasn't ideal, but that ball was for the defender to deal with. Tripps signalling for the ball to run through to Hugo was a mistake, as was then trying to play it back to the keeper without knowing where he was.

Toby got turned because he has a weakness to a pacy player not taking him on the outside. Pedro hadn't even got control of the ball. By the time Pedro shot he was at the edge of the six yard box.

All Toby had to do was hold him up while Dav came across. Utter schoolboy defending by the modern day saint who cannot be blamed...

Toby got turned because he has a weakness to a pacy player not taking him on the outside. Pedro hadn't even got control of the ball. By the time Pedro shot he was at the edge of the six yard box.

All Toby had to do was hold him up while Dav came across. Utter schoolboy defending by the modern day saint who cannot be blamed...

Toby rushed in to close down the shot. Pedro takes one touch back inside and Toby flies past him.

It's difficult to know where to stop when a player is through like that, ideally you get between the player and the goal, but running in at pace it's too easy to be sent the wrong way as Toby was. Alternatively, you run in to hold up the player and he just carries on past you.

Toby rushed in to close down the shot. Pedro takes one touch back inside and Toby flies past him.

It's difficult to know where to stop when a player is through like that, ideally you get between the player and the goal, but running in at pace it's too easy to be sent the wrong way as Toby was. Alternatively, you run in to hold up the player and he just carries on past you.

Toby this season has one trick, whatever side of the pitch he is on, he invites the player to take him on the outside. That's fine if the player does that, but when they cut inside it makes Toby look foolish.

Last night Pedro didn't have control of the ball, stretched with probably the wrong foot to control the ball and still made a dick out of Toby. Had Dav made that sort of mistake it would have been because he was "Young and impetuous, and of course not good enough".

The other thing I should have added to my other earlier comment is that I believe Hugo will have to step down as captain. There aren't many managers who change captains and I feel Poch is too nice to do so. That is if he sees it as an issue in the first place (Poch). Which I doubt.

Back
Top Bottom