Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think (cba to check stats) that Lloris has one of the best pass completion percentages amongst gks in the league. But when he does miss it is not uncommon that it is horrible, like against Sweden. The fact that you can only remember one does not mean there was only one. But he's been better this season than previous years in that regard.
For me the pass completion percentages for goalkeepers are a tad irrelevant as many of those passes are made without being pressed and therefore are probably some of the easiest passes to make which is why I just took an overal amount i.e more times you do something the more likely a error will occur, even though as a percentage it will be very low. Also The passing stat might not reflect the style of play, Schmichel's passes are to a forward most of the time (Vardy or Marhez I believe was his most "successful").

I love playing out from the back, I love how we move the oppo around. If a keeper is pressed into an error there is a risk but there is little talk about a goalkeeper hoofing it up field for that to result in a goal some 10 passes latter, the watching public don't associate that had the keeper retained possession the goal wouldn't have been scored.

I disagree with the suggestion that Lloris isn't with an elite team. He is. Runners up in the premier league, champions league next season and comfortably in the top 10-15 clubs in Europe for value, brand or whatever other metric you want to use. If that's not 'elite' then I don't know what is.

I think (cba to check stats) that Lloris has one of the best pass completion percentages amongst gks in the league. But when he does miss it is not uncommon that it is horrible, like against Sweden. The fact that you can only remember one does not mean there was only one. But he's been better this season than previous years in that regard.

I love the guy but I could point to a number of games where he (and others) put the tram under pressure by poor selection of passes out from the back or clipped balls which sailed over the fullback for a throw.

Much worse kicking this season than previously.
Would I swap him though? Absolutely not

Who would you have instead?

If given an unlimited supply of money with anyone willing to join us? Plenty.

As it stands I'd keep Lloris, because he's proven to be a great goalkeeper and he's saved us a lot more than he has cost us. Like most goalkeepers.

But it's a pointless question, because asking other fans the question. Chelsea fans will say they'd prefer Courtois, Man Utd fans say they'd prefer de Gea, Juventus fans will say they prefer Buffon, Barcelona fans would say they prefer ter Stegen, Bayern fans will say they prefer Neuer, hell even Woolwich fans will say they prefer Cech etc. - does that make them all better than Lloris? or is it just pointless replacing solid goalkeepers who are at the club already?

Quite a hilarious reaction from most on here when it's well known Lloris' kicking is shit - yet when he does it for FRANCE.... fucking France, when no one on here is even fucking French is hilarious.

Last edited:
sammyspurs, Arthur Wensleydale, Tomo, Jenny Talia, Schmood Spurs, Mockers, Norwegian Jim and even Guido have all said Lloris' kicking/distribution is horrible on this very forum, yet most of the time have got an agree.

I get a host of people disagreeing. Funny old game. Not surprising though considering who disagreed.

Last edited:
I don't care who thinks De Gea is better - whatever keeps him in the shop window and Hugo out...
:llorishowudoin:

I'm fine with this because morons won't think Lloris is world class. We're happy with him at Spurs, thank you very much, fuck off.

This and This

Lloris has a problem kicking sometimes whoopdy doo........least conceded goals in the PL last two seasons.

As has been pointed out, let Twitter decide that Lloris is shit, and in a few weeks the fake news will have become the new truth. "TOTTENHAM NEED GOALKEEPER TO MOUNT SERIOUS CHALLENGE".
Oh well poor us, stuck with Hugo.

Meanwhile the brilliant De Gea can fuck off to a proper club where he doesnt have to play with the likes of Jones and Blind in front of him.

HUUUUUUUUUGOOOOOOOOOO

This and This

Lloris has a problem kicking sometimes whoopdy doo........least conceded goals in the PL last two seasons.

As has been pointed out, let Twitter decide that Lloris is shit, and in a few weeks the fake news will have become the new truth. "TOTTENHAM NEED GOALKEEPER TO MOUNT SERIOUS CHALLENGE".
Oh well poor us, stuck with Hugo.

Meanwhile the brilliant De Gea can fuck off to a proper club where he doesnt have to play with the likes of Jones and Blind in front of him.

HUUUUUUUUUGOOOOOOOOOO

Whilst I agree with everything you've said - didn't you once say Lloris doesn't suit our system and that we should go forward with Vorm?

:llorisunsure:

Whilst I agree with everything you've said - didn't you once say Lloris doesn't suit our system and that we should go forward with Vorm?

:llorisunsure:

I did indeed, at a time when we had abandoned our pressing and were simply giving the ball back to Lloris to keep possession. For a slow, possession based build up from the back, I would still go with Vorm for his distribution is second to none.

The Spurs that we have seen the last months, ruthlessly going forward, where we go for 15 minutes spells and I forget we even have a keeper, then Lloris is number one. A world class stopper and the ultimate last line of defense.

Id like to see Vorm used more, but Hugo is by far first choice and could play for any club on the planet.

Hugo's best attributes as a keeper are shot stopping, which is fine by me.
He may not be he best dribbler, passer, but he's got better. The amount of practice they put in controlling rapidly incoming passes with every part of body except hands and passing the ball into the small nets with Jimenez must do something.
I think it's more of a character thing. Hugo always seems to be nonchalant 'I've got this' when he could be a little more direct.
Sometimes he acts too cool and takes one touch too many.
Didn't one of the best coaches in the world say he wouldn't criticise his players for making mistakes that lead to goals if they were giving 100%

As for the Leicester game, that goal was a comedy of errors.
It actually was a great sweep from Lloris and unlucky that the ball ricocheted and landed where it did. If it would have gone safe we would be saying how fantastic Lloris did.
It then was mis kicked again with that ndidi shot and took another deflection into the path of an unmarked chilwell. And Wasn't it Dier who fell over on the line.

That's absolutely embarrassing from Lloris. There is a reason he's with us and not one of the elite. That's the reason.

...but, but he doesn't play for your team... he plays for Spurs!
Unless ArseAnal/Man Utd/Man City/Chelsea (or whoever it is that you support) are planning to make a bid!

sammyspurs, Arthur Wensleydale, Tomo, Jenny Talia, Schmood Spurs, Mockers, Norwegian Jim and even Guido have all said Lloris' kicking/distribution is horrible on this very forum, yet most of the time have got an agree.

I get a host of people disagreeing. Funny old game. Not surprising though considering who disagreed.

Posters disagreeing with you???????

:dembelelol::eriksenlol::levylol::sonlol::walker-scream::wanyama:

:pochbye:

I did indeed, at a time when we had abandoned our pressing and were simply giving the ball back to Lloris to keep possession. For a slow, possession based build up from the back, I would still go with Vorm for his distribution is second to none.

The Spurs that we have seen the last months, ruthlessly going forward, where we go for 15 minutes spells and I forget we even have a keeper, then Lloris is number one. A world class stopper and the ultimate last line of defense.

Id like to see Vorm used more, but Hugo is by far first choice and could play for any club on the planet.

Strangest thing is, I see Vorm as being far better than anyone Pep would try and buy (his 'style' of keeper), and would suit their system as he's always come across as a sensible keeper with good distribution and excellent all-round abilities. He'd do very well at your Barcas or Reals. Much better than Bravo or Valdez imo.

Where he falls down, in my opinion, and where Lloris excels is not just the "Peter Schmeichel" effect that Lloris has (command and presence), but he doesn't suit the 'sweeper keeper' style of play.

I do really like Vorm though, and he's been outstanding this season just gone.

Piss off, clueless mug

tumblr_ne4t0zuq541rey868o1_500.gif

It's 'cos they're all Spurs fans... it can't be too hard to work out why, can it?

...i'm joking, obviously... :sonpoint::walker-scream::pocheyes:
I can't say 100% that they are all Spurs... but I'm pretty sure they are!

I rate you as a poster Totti Totti , but sometimes you don't can't yourself. Like pretending to be some kind of victim, it doesn't suit you well.

I gave you an disagree on that post. I don't click on that button just because I disagree. When I do the post is attention seeking, provocative and one looking for reactions. Like yours.

Back
Top Bottom