Huddersfield (H) 03Mar - 15:00KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A textbook example of why chasing stats is utterly meaningless. I’m very glad with Poch’s attitude today:

"We don't think too much about the past," said Pochettino when asked about the club's longest unbeaten run for 51 years.

"Of course, that is a very good stat but for me football is tomorrow - it's not yesterday."

Nice tee shirt slogan right there. Maybe underneath a split screen of Poch and Wenger.

Some spurs fans really pissed me off today slagging some of the players. We are on a good run of form right now winning our games, our players should not be facing abuse because they made a few mistakes. We aren't Woolwich Fan TV, so cut that sh*t out, it is not helpful or productive.

Just checked, it included 5 0-0s, 5 1-1s and a 1-0, there were two Cup replays, we actually played Wimbledon 5 times...a league game, 2 FA Cup games and 2 legs of a League Cup Semi, there was 6 goals in those games and that included a 3-0 cup replay...We started in 12th and ended up in 11th...

I was there for the famous cup win against Wimbledon! That was our equivalent of beating Madrid back then! Iversen was Kane before Kane was cool..... kind of

Another cracking result today, well pleased with it. And the gate of 68,000 is well impressive, but what happened?
Looked up online Monday and the match was sold out! Not to worry I went Wednesday night, struggled to get there as no trains running from Dartford, two buses to North Greenwich and the tube from there, 2 and a half hours but I got there.
Looked for tickets Thursday and they are on ticket exchange with a £ 7.50 premium? Sod that!
We need a better system in place, if people can't make a game, why do those that can have to pay the premium. We could have had thousands more at the match if the system was fairer!

So another 'easy' game safely negotiated .... and that's despite Huddersfield doing 'the best we can do' according to their manager ....

Posted before the game that Huddersfield would 'give it a go' and indeed they tried .... setting up with a back four and two wide players was designed to allow them to break forward, a goal on the break was their aim ....

BUT

This is the new Spurs, a side that can adjust to any opposition tactics, within twenty minutes it was clear that Huddersfield far from 'breaking forward' were being forced to play six across the back and still struggling to stop us getting in crosses .... a brave tactical change from their manager made little difference .... trying to 'crowd' Dembele would seem a good plan, all it did was drag an extra player out of position, Dembele just beating two players rather than one most of the time ....

Being able to play out the second half at 80% yet still maintaining 75% possession, who saw that coming three years ago ....

Juventus are a class above Huddersfield but if we play to our strengths they won't even get close .... COYS

Last edited:
Some spurs fans really pissed me off today slagging some of the players. We are on a good run of form right now winning our games, our players should not be facing abuse because they made a few mistakes. We aren't Woolwich Fan TV, so cut that sh*t out, it is not helpful or productive.

Great post...
Social media deadjobs also at it, attacking Dele, Sissoko in particular.

Undefeated in 17 games, is something to behold, yet we have a small minority that want to " discover " fault in any game.

Pathetic really. Job done, as per usual ( we can say that nowadays ), and exciting times ahead. Just get behind the Club ffs, and stop the "buts" , " Ifs' and "Should haves".

Thought Dele was superb yesterday. Controlled the tempo, found good space and payed the right passes.

When he gets his head down and doesn’t throw himself about he really is one of the very best. More of that please Del-Boy.

Bit late on my take in the game but here goes...

Crowd/tickets:

All a bit strange. Like a poster above I thought this was looking like 75000/80000 going by the available seats left - I’m a bronze member and left it late before getting tickets for me and my boys.

Lots of tourists and possible first timers. Feel a bit conflicted over this as we can all see our fan base growing (at the expense of our nearest and dearest neighbours). However, as my 14 year old pointed out (he was apoplectic) there were so many people up and down throughout the whole match (late in; early for HT; hotdogs; merchandise; sweets; leaving early - gone by 70 minutes FFS)...

All led to a slightly flat atmosphere.

On the pitch:

Routine - in a very heartwarming way. I’ve been going to Spurs for the best part of 40 years and have rarely known us to do ‘routine’ - in an assured, comfortable in our own skin, confident and business as usual sense. And it felt great.

No poor performers. Sonny the undoubted MoM. Big shout to the unflappale centre halves; Dier (who must be knackered and running on adrenaline) ; Dele who looks to be leaving his early season funk behind; and Kane (whose hard work can only be appreciated watching him live).

Lastly: given our ascent and the now ‘routine’ nature of games like this I’d like us (the fans) to match our squad and manager by staying classy. No need for Gooner-style meltdowns; no need to single out individual players for ad hominem attacks (who we all know aren’t quite good enough) - keep giving them our support.

Enjoy games like today’s. Wednesday night won’t be anywhere as ‘routine’ as today. I’m nervous now on Sunday morning. Fuck knows what I’ll be like by kick off. I know I want to be part of a glory glory night shared with and inspired by the players, the manager and the fans...

COYS

Bit late on my take in the game but here goes...

Crowd/tickets:

All a bit strange. Like a poster above I thought this was looking like 75000/80000 going by the available seats left - I’m a bronze member and left it late before getting tickets for me and my boys.

Lots of tourists and possible first timers. Feel a bit conflicted over this as we can all see our fan base growing (at the expense of our nearest and dearest neighbours). However, as my 14 year old pointed out (he was apoplectic) there were so many people up and down throughout the whole match (late in; early for HT; hotdogs; merchandise; sweets; leaving early - gone by 70 minutes FFS)...

All led to a slightly flat atmosphere.

On the pitch:

Routine - in a very heartwarming way. I’ve been going to Spurs for the best part of 40 years and have rarely known us to do ‘routine’ - in an assured, comfortable in our own skin, confident and business as usual sense. And it felt great.

No poor performers. Sonny the undoubted MoM. Big shout to the unflappale centre halves; Dier (who must be knackered and running on adrenaline) ; Dele who looks to be leaving his early season funk behind; and Kane (whose hard work can only be appreciated watching him live).

Lastly: given our ascent and the now ‘routine’ nature of games like this I’d like us (the fans) to match our squad and manager by staying classy. No need for Gooner-style meltdowns; no need to single out individual players for ad hominem attacks (who we all know aren’t quite good enough) - keep giving them our support.

Enjoy games like today’s. Wednesday night won’t be anywhere as ‘routine’ as today. I’m nervous now on Sunday morning. Fuck knows what I’ll be like by kick off. I know I want to be part of a glory glory night shared with and inspired by the players, the manager and the fans...

COYS
Great post.
:adethumbup:

snowing when I got past Swindon and thought I’d have to spend the night in the car :pochshock2:

Hi Chuckle - I'm working in Oxford on Weds and need to drive in from the west and park up somewhere sensible, not something I've done before. Is Uxbridge tube a sensible option?

I was with one first timer (12). One second timer but first time at Wembley (29) and one lapsed regular attender and first time at Wembley (52).

Despite the freezing weather, shit public transport (2 hours to get there and 3.5 hours to get home) and 45 min queue to get back to Wembley Park they all loved the day.

None wanted to leave before the final whistle and my bother in law, to his credit, refused to buy his 12 year old a half and half scarf (bought her a Spurs one instead). Teaching her right from wrong early on!.

As much I hate Wembley, it has made attending Spurs games much more accessible and will do wonders for making sure kids and future fans don't get tempted by the dark side.

snowing when I got past Swindon and thought I’d have to spend the night in the car :pochshock2:

Hi Chuckle - I'm working in Oxford on Weds and need to drive in from the west and park up somewhere sensible, not something I've done before. Is Uxbridge tube a sensible option?
I know you're not asking me, but:

Yes because it's on two train lines (met and piccadilly) plus easy to reach from central line (train to w.ruislip, u1 bus to uxbridge) or the national rail (train to w. ruislip or denham, bus to uxbridge). South or west ruislip also good options as you can get in on the national rail (it's like one stop to wembley stadium) then get back on the central line (waiting for national rail on the way back is a real pain - takes ages in my experience so far). I live in Wycombe and that's usually how I get in.

Back
Top Bottom