Home Opener (vs. Stoke), 15 Aug, 15:00 BST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dembele was immense. Mason was solid. Kane is vital to this team. We looked great until Toby's moronic mistake.

Collapsed like a pub team after 2-1. Davies had a rough game. Nabil and Lamela had awful sub appearances. We learn and move on.

The only time I have ever seen our defence actually drilled was under AVB but he obviously went in the extreme direction where the football became too negative. My concern is i dont see any defensive drilling or tactics under Pochettino
i agree with poch being weak defensively.
which is strange considering he was a defender

Each player reflected the entire team; moments of excellence combined with moments of baffling inadequacy.

The fact that in the end we might well have been grateful for a point is staggering considering the opening half hour but we gave Stoke far, far too many clear cut chances. Four times an unchallenged player fluffed an opportunity in our area...four!

Until we sort out our inability to defend we will continue to have matches like this.

That said, there was evidence of a very good side developing. Confident passing and moving. Mason and Kane were very, very good. In fact all players showed the good sides to their game and if Poch can emphasise that to the players it could/should generate confidence.

I'm also done with Lamela. I have wanted, hoped and thought that he was going to be a star player but he is so far out of his depth it is painful.

Is "happy clapper" the knee-jerk melts getting their revenge?

Is slagging off players but ending it with "I'd love for him to prove me wrong I'll hold my hands up" etc the justification for being a fair-weather fan?

dont u think some of the things people get called a melt for are really pathetic.
those accusers are so hard to debate with as they are so dramatic & over sensitive.

u dont know what criticism u can say without hurting there feelings & causing them to get angry at u.
its like dealing with an emotional teenage american girl.

i dont know what criticism u can say without offending the drama queens.
i wonder if these people are the same in real life. they cant handle any criticism.
it would make more sense if that were true.

how to put this?

we were terrible 2nd half. poch made some poor decisions. levy has let us down with incomings & we are very underprepared for this season. & lamela was poo.
what did u just say u melting bitch?!!!

i said...
we were average 2nd half. poch made some average decisions. levy could have done a lil bit better with incomings & we are a bit underprepared for this season. & lamela was average.
shut up u melting melvin.

sorry. i was just saying...
we were unlucky 2nd half & would have won if stoke were oldham. poch made some great decisions but hughes is tactically 1 of the best in the game . levy has done well with incomings. do u know how hard is to sign a player?!! its like eating a doughnut without licking your lips. & we have a good chance for top 4 this season. & lamela did his bestest. & he really influenced the game....next time it will be for us.

Toby was epic, it was a silly challenge and the ref was slightly cheeky to give the pen.

You cannot capitulate to that degree though. The rot is much deeper, and the tactics (LOL) cost us more than anything our defender did.
what about some of tobys long passes? superb.
now imagine him doing that to someone with pace out wide or upfront.
the occasional long quick ball can suprise there defence.

Toby was epic, it was a silly challenge and the ref was slightly cheeky to give the pen.

You cannot capitulate to that degree though. The rot is much deeper, and the tactics (LOL) cost us more than anything our defender did.

Don't get me wrong, Toby is already our #1 defender - it was just a silly tackle (as you say) and it kicked off the spineless capitulation. Wasn't out to make Toby the scapegoat.

You know they say it's a good sign when you play badly, but win...
what does it mean when you play well and draw?

i think im at the botom
Nah bro position is already taken ,bye all means join us in the bottom 3 .
boy-wearing-dunce-cap.jpg

Each player reflected the entire team; moments of excellence combined with moments of baffling inadequacy.

The fact that in the end we might well have been grateful for a point is staggering considering the opening half hour but we gave Stoke far, far too many clear cut chances. Four times an unchallenged player fluffed an opportunity in our area...four!

Until we sort out our inability to defend we will continue to have matches like this.

That said, there was evidence of a very good side developing. Confident passing and moving. Mason and Kane were very, very good. In fact all players showed the good sides to their game and if Poch can emphasise that to the players it could/should generate confidence.

I'm also done with Lamela. I have wanted, hoped and thought that he was going to be a star player but he is so far out of his depth it is painful.
Agree with this. Only thing I'd add is that we desperately need a leader on the pitch.

Dembele was immense. Mason was solid. Kane is vital to this team. We looked great until Toby's moronic mistake.

Collapsed like a pub team after 2-1. Davies had a rough game. Nabil and Lamela had awful sub appearances. We learn and move on.

Yep. I don't think we can blame the players. People zooming in on Jan for one of the goals: the floodgates were open due to Poch swapping a tiger for Erik. Then our shape was gone and the pressure was massive resulting in the bank 4 having to do too much. If Jans positioning was better for that one instance, the goal was coming anyway because they overpowered our midfield.

finally brought myself to watch the highlights.
The equaliser was a bit fo a cluster fuck but if you're going to blame any player it needs to be Eriksen and then maybe Vertonghen.

Peters gets the ball on the centre circle and Eriksen looks to press but realises the reast of the side are sat deep so back tracks, which is the right thing to do. Peters plays it to Ireland who exchanges a one two with Arnautovic. At this point Bentaleb move in to cover Arnautovic, but Ireland runs beyond Eriksen who, due to either fatigue, laziness or poor game awareness (or a combination of these) makes absolutely no attempt to track him, leaving Ireland in a 1v1 situation with Walker. The delivery is top notch to be fair. This is where Jan comes in, as if you watch he is no way near touch tight to Diouf which allows him to run in on goal freely. If he could have got hands on he might have been able to use his body to hold off the run.

http://www.footytube.com/video/tottenham-hotspur-stoke-city-aug15-365272?ref=wv_rel_mp
Skip to 5:40 if you can be bothered.

Long story short. Not Lamela's fault at all as he was no where near the play.

Back
Top Bottom