Hoilett Spurs Bound?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes please. £9m is a little too much but I really rate this kid. Has been the one shining light at Ewood this season and would offer the perfect cover/competition for both flanks but in particular for Lennon who always needs that extra push.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...hoilett-to-bolster-europe-hopes-6267008.html?

Spurs want £9m Hoilett to bolster Europe hopes
Blackburn's 21-year-old forward has stalled on a new contract and is now a target for Redknapp

Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, is closing in on a move for the Blackburn forward Junior Hoilett in the January transfer window as he looks to strengthen his side in the chase for a Champions League slot. The Ewood Park club have all but given up hope of retaining their most valuable asset, who has thus far refused to sign a new contract despite being offered the chance to become one of the best-paid players in Blackburn's history.

Venky's, the Indian poultry concern which owns the club, yesterday confirmed that manager Steve Kean has agreed a revised contract at Ewood Park. It is believed the new terms increase the Scot's salary, although the 43-year-old – who has won just three of his last 26 games – would now be due less compensation should he be dismissed.

A statement released by the club read: "Following recent media speculation Blackburn Rovers FC can confirm a revision to manager Steve Kean's existing contract has been completed. An agreement made in the summer has now been formalised. Contrary to some reports there is no change to the length of the contract."

Blackburn's attempts to finalise a deal with Hoilett, the club's outstanding player this season, have been rather less successful. The 21-year-old Canadian had been offered a salary which would have made him one of the highest earners at Ewood Park, but talks have stalled over the club's desire to insert a release clause, reported to be as high as £18m, into the agreement.

Sources at the club have now privately admitting they are losing hope of persuading Hoilett, a youth-team product, to remain in Lancashire. Despite suggestions earlier this month that Blackburn would be happy to allow him to run down his current deal and leave on a free transfer this summer, it is thought Venky's would now prefer to recoup what they can.

Both Newcastle and Woolwich have been linked with Hoilett, but it is Redknapp who is believed to be the most enthusiastic suitor for the forward, capable of playing on both flanks and through the middle. The 64-year-old is keen to bolster his resources after seeming to lose faith both in Niko Kranjcar and Steven Pienaar, who has endured an injury-hit 11 months since moving to White Hart Lane from Everton last January.

Though Blackburn rate Hoilett as as valuable as Phil Jones, who they sold to Manchester United for £16.5m last summer, Spurs would not expect to pay that sort of figure for a player who could leave for nothing in six months' time. A fee of around £9m, though, could tempt an increasingly fatalistic Blackburn into a deal.

The Spurs goalkeeper Brad Friedel, meanwhile, has revealed he is keen to extend his stay at the club beyond the end of next season. "If you can keep yourself free of major injury and you want to keep playing, then you can play for a while, much longer than an outfield player could," the 40-year-old said.

"It can he done, if you want it – and I certainly do. I don't find it remarkable that a 40-year-old can still play. My body doesn't feel the way someone might think a 40-year-old should feel."

personally I believe this kid is better than Lennon, or at least has the potential to be a lot better than him in a couple of seasons. Nothing against Lennon who has improved his all round game a lot in the last 18 months or so but if we could get Hoilett for about £6m it would be a bargain, even if he does only have 6 months left. Has the potential to score and create a lot of goals.

Really excited about this possibility and I rarely get excited potential signings until they actually happen.

kushty said:
So did most of the country!

true. I still think Bentley was hard done by with regards to his form in the 2nd half of our top4 season when he was excellent. Then a half fit Lennon returned and walked straight back into the team and Bentley hardly played again. Much like Bassong. One of Redknapp's major downfalls really, keeping fringe players happy and fighting for a starting position but that's another thread.

neil-patrick-harris-naked-man.jpg

Is he an attacking midfielder, winger or what? Seen him play a couple time & he's growing into a pretty good player but do we need another midfielder? At least sell on a few before taking that on. Wish Levy would just pull the trigger sometimes on getting rid of people.

I think he'll play on flanks and would be a fantastic addition to our squad.

Also I disagree about Harry losing faith in Niko.Bollocks.Niko is a good player but that is only when he doesnt play on the flanks.That is when his true potential is realised.I think Harry's aware of that.

Anurag Jo said:
I think he'll play on flanks and would be a fantastic addition to our squad.

Also I disagree about Harry losing faith in Niko.Bollocks.Niko is a good player but that is only when he doesnt play on the flanks.That is when his true potential is realised.I think Harry's aware of that.

Have to agree. Niko isn't going to provide the competition we need on the right wing. Hoilett can, so it's a different situation.

Arry being clueless when it comes to rotation will cast a shadow of doubt over potential signings like this one, but Lennon's absence this season showed us how shit we are on the right, despite having about 50,000 midfielders on the books.

Still, it does beg the question, would Hoilett be another Bentley?

Well, yeah, he could outrun Bentley... but if we brought him in, then Droopy froze him out until Lennon gets injured, relies on him until Lennon gets fit, then freezes him out again before sending him on loan to Bluewater as a David Beckham lookalike or whatever... same shit, different player!

Back
Top Bottom