Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The lack of a pre season and the international tournaments are catching up with him a bit. South Korea should give him the international break off.

He is being played in the wrong place. Should be played on the left to allow him to go at the RB. I thought he was switched there in 2nd half but caught off side and then subbed.

I’m baffled as to why his performance has dropped since Kane has returned.

Is he being asked to play a different role by Poch? Is he deferring to Kane more than he should?

He’s shooting less and I think he should be doing exactly what he was doing before Kane returned.

Is he being asked to play a different role by Poch? Is he deferring to Kane more than he should?

He’s shooting less and I think he should be doing exactly what he was doing before Kane returned.
Bit of both. When Kane was out he either played as the sole striker, or in a duo with the more classic target man in Fernando, which still allowed Son a lot of space to run in despite being part of a duo. Now that Kane is back they have not found their mojo again yet. So they end up in each others way. A quick solution would be to move Son out on the flank as someone suggested above and just have him work on the flanks and cutting in.

Lack of responsibility.

Instead of knowing he's the main man that we rely on, he knows we have Kane now - before, he would take responsibility and as practically our only forward would take that shot, would be a bit greedy. Whereas since Kane has come back, he's not our only forward, he doesn't necessarily have that responsibility to be the one we turn to to win us a game etc.

Lack of responsibility.

Instead of knowing he's the main man that we rely on, he knows we have Kane now - before, he would take responsibility and as practically our only forward would take that shot, would be a bit greedy. Whereas since Kane has come back, he's not our only forward, he doesn't necessarily have that responsibility to be the one we turn to to win us a game etc.

If we are playing a diamond midfield and playing two at the top, Son should just let it rip and do what he used to do instead of shirking from what he’s been doing.

Lack of responsibility.

I do think Sonny flourishes in knowing he can shoot on sight a little more than with Harry in the team but he'll soon pop one in and his little moment regarding Sonny will all be forgotten

I don't know why people are surprised though.

He goes through his purple patches every season and has done since he the 16/17 season.

16/17:
4 goals and 2 assists in his first 4 games.
No goals or assists for 4 games
3 goals and 4 assists over the next 13 games.
7 goals and 3 assists in the final 10 games of the season.

17/18:
No goals in the opening 8 games of the season
8 goals and 4 assist in the next 15 games
5 games without a goal or assist.
4 goals in next 2 games
Then only manages 0 goals and 2 assists in the final 8 games of the season

18/19:
0 goals and 1 assist in his opening 9 games
11 goals and 5 assists in his next 14 games.
0 goals or assists in his last 3 games.

--

In fact it's why he's so "underrated" amongst other fans and the media - because the hype builds up whenever he hits one of these crazy purple streaks only to then go quiet whilst Kane and others do their thing in the mean time.

I don't know why people are surprised though.

He goes through his purple patches every season and has done since he the 16/17 season.

16/17:
4 goals and 2 assists in his first 4 games.
No goals or assists for 4 games
3 goals and 4 assists over the next 13 games.
7 goals and 3 assists in the final 10 games of the season.

17/18:
No goals in the opening 8 games of the season
8 goals and 4 assist in the next 15 games
5 games without a goal or assist.
4 goals in next 2 games
Then only manages 0 goals and 2 assists in the final 8 games of the season

18/19:
0 goals and 1 assist in his opening 9 games
11 goals and 5 assists in his next 14 games.
0 goals or assists in his last 3 games.

--

In fact it's why he's so "underrated" amongst other fans and the media - because the hype builds up whenever he hits one of these crazy purple streaks only to then go quiet whilst Kane and others do their thing in the mean time.

I know he’s a very streaky player and I agree with you that it could be another rough patch for Son, but it’s the shot taken stat for the last 3 games which worries me.

I just hope it’s not a psychological thing, I want him to just keep shooting and get into positions that he’s been getting into.

Just do what you’ve been doing Son! No need to change just because Harry is back!

I know he’s a very streaky player and I agree with you that it could be another rough patch for Son, but it’s the shot taken stat for the last 3 games which worries me.

I just hope it’s not a psychological thing, I want him to just keep shooting and get into positions that he’s been getting into.

Just do what you’ve been doing Son! No need to change just because Harry is back!

I just checked his shot stats earlier in the season when he went 9 games without a goal:

8 shots across the 9 games. 0.88 shots per game.

And here are his stats from previous 3 games:

3 shots across 3 games. 1 shot per game.

Here are his stats from when he was our main man with Kane out injured:

14 shots across 3 games. Just over 4 and a half shots per game.

Meanwhile here are his shooting stats when Kane was fit before the United injury and he and Son were both playing at the same time between the Chelsea game (when he scored his first league goal) and the United game.

32 shots across 10 games.. 3.2 shots per game.

So it's either he revels in being THE GUY when Kane is out with the responsibility on him being the guy to win us the games or when he's on one of his purple patches, he shoots more meaning higher volume meaning the likelihood of more goals due to his excellent shooting technique.

I'd say it was a mix of being off form following a slight break in the league after the Leicester game and with Kane back we are no longer reliant on Son being the go to guy to win us games.

I believe Son is least effective when we play 3 at the back with Kane as the main striker. Looking back at some of the games we have won with both playing, it has been 4 at the back, with Son, Eriksen and Dele in behind rotating positions.

For the rest of the season, when Dele is back I’d prefer us to go back to 4-2-3-1. We’ve played our best football playing that formation this season.

We all know that he is a streaky player.

I was worried that our "mini break" would not help him at all, even though he needed the rest.

He, when playing well, needs to keep playing to maintain that form.

Hindsight probably

Back
Top Bottom