Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair, I said this about Dembele but I just can't see Son ever leaving us.

He's never linked away. Doesn't seem like the kind of player the top clubs would sign, which surprises me considering his ability and his marketability.

He's 27 years old this year, contract until 2023 when he'll be 31 years old with no doubt an extension between now and then with him getting a huge pay-rise. He loves the club, loves the players he plays with, is loved by the players he plays with, loved by the manager, loved by the fans. On his way to becoming a Spurs legend.

What a player.

I'm repeating myself but I think Son feels a real love for Spurs because we allowed him to go to the Asian Cup (Edit - Asian Games), which South Korea won with Son as Captain giving him exemption from a 2 year spell in national service,

His previous club did not, but we did and he has 2 years of playing football at his peak - and had he had to do national service would he be as good after 2 years ? So its possibly that we've saved him his career as a top class footballer for quite a few years.

So Spurs have been literally life changing for him.

And if he's enjoying playing with the other players at the club, Spurs continues to play as one of the top PL clubs, and is being well paid......I think he'll want to repay Spurs for getting the rest of his career back by staying and playing for us.

Last edited:
I'm repeating myself but I think Son feels a real love for Spurs because we allowed him to go to the Asian Cup, which South Korea won with Son as Captain giving him exemption from a 2 year spell in national service,

His previous club did not, but we did and he has 2 years of playing football at his peak - and had he had to do national service would he be as good after 2 years ? So its possibly that we've saved him his career as a top class footballer for quite a few years.

And if he's enjoying playing with the other players at the club, Spurs continues to play as one of the top PL clubs, and is being well paid......I think he'll want to repay Spurs for getting the rest of his career back by staying and playing for us.

Good point!

Sooooonnn
Sooonnn will tear you apaaart again

I'm repeating myself but I think Son feels a real love for Spurs because we allowed him to go to the Asian Cup (Edit - Asian Games), which South Korea won with Son as Captain giving him exemption from a 2 year spell in national service,

I think a bigger masterstroke was offering him a contract when his national service thing was still on the table

Cannot fault the kid. So humble, so happy, so fucking world class. No one is at his level in the pl at the moment. Hazard off to rm over the summer to guarantee Chelsea will be as shite as Woolwich for years to come. Just delicious.

It was huge at the time, when Son got his gold medal and exemption. At this point it seems, well I need a bigger superlative than I can think of right now.

Not just in that we get have his contagious smile around for longer, but there's every chance that his upturn in form is not by chance. Or even due to the added responsibility with Kane and Dele out. Bit of a cliche but we do tend to forget that they're still human beings with real concerns just like the rest of us, no matter how much money rolls in for them.

Military will have been a huge mental burden with the clock just ticking towards it. That weight off his shoulders could easily have played a huge part in his upturn, and what we're seeing is not a fluke, but rather his true ability with 100% focus on football :sonlol:

First post here. New to the Spurs, watching since Son signed up, never heard of the Spurs before (sorry) but now a fan. It's interesting to read the perspectives of others across the pond as I'm a Korean-American living somewhere in the States. Since I'm fairly new to EPL football, I can't appreciate the magnitude of what Son has been doing as much as others. It's been exciting to anticipate goals before every match and watching him doing it but frankly, I'm surprised to hear talk of player of the year as there are other players at other clubs scoring goals too. I've watched him play for the Korean national team in their recent tournaments and as you all know, he hasn't been as productive as he is on the Spurs for whatever reason. The quality of his teammates has a lot to do with his own personal success I suppose.

As far flying under the radar goes because he's Asian, I'm not quite sure but he was deemed overrated in his first year around these parts, right? He's probably overexposed in Korea, I don't think the average Japanese or Chinese citizen is aware of him unless they're football fans and EPL fans in particular. The overwhelming majority of anything I read online about Son is through U.K. media outlets, English translated Korean newspapers, and just a little from ESPN in the U.S. I'm aware of the Korean flag waving and zeroing in on Asian spectators at Wembley during TV broadcasts and I wonder if that's for marketing reasons. In any case, exciting stuff for Son and the Spurs, I think others on the team are stepping up and being more aggressive knowing they don't have Kane to rely on. Visiting London and White Hart Lane is on my bucket list, COYS.

_105652139_sondad.jpg

Son, as in Woong-jung Son, the father.

I actually went to South Korea and Japan for 3 weeks at the start of this year. Son is indeed on many billboards and adverts in south Korea and one of their TV channels was showing reruns of all the spurs games where he scored pretty much every evening. Didn't see him anywhere in Japan mind. But the korean market is absolutely enormous. I wouldn't be surprised if he was banking silly money back home from endorsements alone. Plus I've never seen as much conspicuous wealth anywhere in the world as I have Seoul. Maybachs absolutely everywhere. Very cool country. And we've got the sexiest of them all.

I've been saying for a long time that we can cope without kane as long as this boy is fit and healthy. His energy levels, movement, finishing, two footedness, and composure is astonishing. I love him :paulinhobored:

It's interesting to see what the English fans think about Son and how he is underrated because he is Asian.

I live in Osaka, Japan (Went to college in the States and spent a semester in Korea) and while it is true that we don't have Son billboards here, Sonny is somewhat of a football hero in all of Asia. Japan and Korea generally hate each other on principle(though we also visit each other and influence one another the most at the same time). But even here in Japan, not many would secondguess the fact that Sonny is indeed one of the best players in the world at the moment.

As far flying under the radar goes because he's Asian, I'm not quite sure but he was deemed overrated in his first year around these parts, right?.
People often try and go down this route first without really thinking it through. It is a stupid argument without justification.
As for being overrated. I don't think he was deemed overrated, but he was incredibly frustrating to watch; one minute banging it in from 30 yards, the next running into the right back. He also would give the ball away quite a lot. In fact, I think many (me included) thought he just was not good enough.

Back
Top Bottom