Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If Dele and Son don't do the Top Gun high five to celebrate this season I will be sad.

Almost as hyped for the upcoming silly handshakes as I am for the goals to come before them

DEw1gXMVwAAnsTy.jpg:large

I thought we had two Son's for a moment

There are some legitimate reasons to be less than convinced by Sonny. He's got some traits that I find worrisome. In particular he's not as tenacious, or capable in defence - that comedy "tackle" against Chelsea in the FA cup semi-final springs to mind. I think he can also be accused of dithering on the ball a bit - taking it too far, then getting dispossessed. Also, he's not very physical: easy to push off the ball.

Of course, he's clearly done some great things for us this season - especially stepping up when H was injured. He also tends to score really important goals: winning goals and game-saving goals. Plus, I expect he's told by Poch to run with the ball, and to stay up the pitch, which might explain why he's sometimes perceived badly.

I'm no Son-hater: He's been a great performer for us, and had a great season, albeit in the absence of Lamela and - for a prolonged stretch - Kane too. I'm in no rush to see him sold.

I have to say though, I'd prefer to see a fit Lamela starting games (where we had striking options) than Son.
Sonny's not a defender or midfielder though, he is an attacker. Attackers are never good at defending.

This... Though the thing that bothered me the most was the few 1on1s that he bottled (as recently as first half of last season)...

His all round game improved massively in the latter half of last season... Bit like Lamela last season, this year could be a biggy for him.
He already had a big season. Let's hope he has an even better one in 17/18.

anyway - back to Sonny. I cannot believe the venom against one of our star turns last year - what else does the lad need to do to earn his 'spurs'? It's a shame that he has broke his arm, but hopefully he will be able to play relatively quickly, we need to pick up where we left off last season and Sonny more than played his part in our success.
The venom might be due to the fact that he is not European.

Only 6 players scored more goals per mins than him last year and all of them were strikers from the top 7 clubs (Kane, Giroud, Sanchez, Lukkau, Auguero & Ibrahimovic!! A genuine two footed player, can play left or right AM or 2nd Striker (don't think he's a loan striker). There are few better players than him when running at the goal, he will lose the ball because he is on it a lot, he is always looking to take on the oppo, turn the defender, if he does lose it we invariably win it back within 5 seconds and our attacks go again, this is one reason why no other team scores as many goals as us. Here is a trick, I promise you it works, when he loses the ball count to 5 and see what happens!

Common perception is Mane is amazing and a player that got away, yet Son scored & assisted more goals than him in less minutes played! Hazard played over 1000 mins more than him and scored just 2 more goals and assisted 1 less!! De Bruyne scored 6 from from 35 games! Sane 5 gaols from 25 games!! He's outperformed all these players, yet people still wank over them and turn their noises up at Son.

Bit unfair to judge a player based on one attempted tackle against Chelsea (Moses dived), if we are going to do that let's keep it real and call out Alderwield for also doing the exact same thing (his player didn't dive, his tackled brought down the player). Also bit of a myth about his defensive duties, point me to another specific where he is poor? Could be more aggressive in the tackle maybe.
spot on.

only things I would add - some of the goals he scores are out of nothing, belters from outside the box (and with either foot as you pointed out). Most of the goals he scored last season got us points (ie not the 4th and 5th in a 5-0).

His first season, I thought was pretty decent. But didnt stop people saying lets sell in the Summer. Madness.

I agree about the aggression in the tackle. I recall being at the Scumirates and being hugely frustrated when he didnt take the ball away from Cech when he slipped 20 yards out of the box. Seeing it later on telly didnt look so bad.

no way we could have challenged for the PL without Son last season with Kane being injured for those 2 spells. And who can forget his MoTM performance in the 2-0 v Citeh when theyd won their forst 6 matches and had already been crowned Champions? He absolutely ran that back 4 ragged on his own, and got an assist too.

Love the guy.

spot on.

only things I would add - some of the goals he scores are out of nothing, belters from outside the box (and with either foot as you pointed out). Most of the goals he scored last season got us points (ie not the 4th and 5th in a 5-0).

His first season, I thought was pretty decent. But didnt stop people saying lets sell in the Summer. Madness.

I agree about the aggression in the tackle. I recall being at the Scumirates and being hugely frustrated when he didnt take the ball away from Cech when he slipped 20 yards out of the box. Seeing it later on telly didnt look so bad.

no way we could have challenged for the PL without Son last season with Kane being injured for those 2 spells. And who can forget his MoTM performance in the 2-0 v Citeh when theyd won their forst 6 matches and had already been crowned Champions? He absolutely ran that back 4 ragged on his own, and got an assist too.

Love the guy.
The Emirates tackle I still don't think he pulled out, ball is always rolling away from him and therefore towards Cech, I appreciate it looks like he pulled out, but for me he was never favourite to get there. He will never be a big tackler, just like Eriksen, I can live with this so long as he is clever about how he challenges. Eriksen, for instance is actually a master in getting his toe on the ball to tap it away from the oppo, think Son can learn and benefit a lot from how Eriksen operates without the ball. Poch has got so many of our players to use their body position to good effect too, so again I expect him to get smarter with this too. There were signs of him getting stuck in against Woolwich, Oxlaide-Chamblin was bouncing off him a couple of times as I recall and often Woolwich doubled up on him where he drew and won fouls.

Last edited:
.........Neither is Poch you dumb fucking idiot.
No need for the swear words. Poch actually has European heritage, as many Argies do. But then again, I don't expect people of your ilk to know much about anything. Also, what does Poch have to do with Sonny in this instance?

If i'm honest he frustrates me a bit. Is a little too selfish for my liking, sometimes tries to take the World on for a goal when a simple knock-off would be the better option. Can't knock the contribution made last season and think he adds something different to the team but not one of my favourites... In times gone past pundits would always say a striker (I know he's a midfielder) needs to be selfish, to have that desire to score. I would say they also need the vision to see what is going on around them, quickly asses the situation and make a good decision. We're about the team and what we can collectively not individually achieve.

I would just end this by saying he is the we have running at speeds through a defence and has a sweet finish when he catches it right. He wasn't mega bucks and is a great option to have. Personally I would like another player of this kind in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom