Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

anyway - back to Sonny. I cannot believe the venom against one of our star turns last year - what else does the lad need to do to earn his 'spurs'? It's a shame that he has broke his arm, but hopefully he will be able to play relatively quickly, we need to pick up where we left off last season and Sonny more than played his part in our success.

anyway - back to Sonny. I cannot believe the venom against one of our star turns last year - what else does the lad need to do to earn his 'spurs'? It's a shame that he has broke his arm, but hopefully he will be able to play relatively quickly, we need to pick up where we left off last season and Sonny more than played his part in our success.

I think it's just a case of 'heads in the past'.

Up until maybe January this year, he had been inconsistent with form despite having came with high hopes - he hadn't forced his way into the starting XI, maybe still hasn't become a proper 'starter', and if he does start, it's in the place of some of the fanboy players.

After all, some will see that he's taken Lamela's place (despite him being injured) or Janssen's place (despite him being ineffective), or maybe even that of Eriksen or Dele etc.

Maybe, deep down, it is unintentionally because he's Korean. Plenty will, I'm sure, get upset at the suggestion, but I can't help but think if he was called 'Sonaldo' he'd be a universal fan's favourite.

I wouldn't worry about it, by the time they get back to training Son will be running I would have thought... maybe start the season in a Vardy cast (just made myself a bit sick).

There are some legitimate reasons to be less than convinced by Sonny. He's got some traits that I find worrisome. In particular he's not as tenacious, or capable in defence - that comedy "tackle" against Chelsea in the FA cup semi-final springs to mind. I think he can also be accused of dithering on the ball a bit - taking it too far, then getting dispossessed. Also, he's not very physical: easy to push off the ball.

Of course, he's clearly done some great things for us this season - especially stepping up when H was injured. He also tends to score really important goals: winning goals and game-saving goals. Plus, I expect he's told by Poch to run with the ball, and to stay up the pitch, which might explain why he's sometimes perceived badly.

I'm no Son-hater: He's been a great performer for us, and had a great season, albeit in the absence of Lamela and - for a prolonged stretch - Kane too. I'm in no rush to see him sold.

I have to say though, I'd prefer to see a fit Lamela starting games (where we had striking options) than Son.

Maybe, deep down, it is unintentionally because he's Korean. Plenty will, I'm sure, get upset at the suggestion, but I can't help but think if he was called 'Sonaldo' he'd be a universal fan's favourite.

He could be called Jimmy Greaves for all I care, but if he was as selfish and wasteful as he was when he first arrived he would deserve criticism. Thankfully he's upped his game since then and has become a team player with a great shot in either foot. You did call it, but the insinuation that his nationality has anything to do with it is unhelpful to say the least.

He could be called Jimmy Greaves for all I care, but if he was as selfish and wasteful as he was when he first arrived he would deserve criticism. Thankfully he's upped his game since then and has become a team player with a great shot in either foot. You did call it, but the insinuation that his nationality has anything to do with it is unhelpful to say the least.

Whilst it might not be an issue for you or the majority on here, there's an unfortunate pattern of "suggestive racism" in the Son thread that doesn't exist in any others.

Wasn't suggesting that all his critics are of that ilk, but it's blatantly an issue for a minority. It's quite rare to see racism in English football stadiums these days, but it's definitely still an issue when you factor in Asian players (again, a minority but far more than you see towards any other ethnic category).

Whilst it might not be an issue for you or the majority on here, there's an unfortunate pattern of "suggestive racism" in the Son thread that doesn't exist in any others.

Wasn't suggesting that all his critics are of that ilk, but it's blatantly an issue for a minority. It's quite rare to see racism in English football stadiums these days, but it's definitely still an issue when you factor in Asian players (again, a minority but far more than you see towards any other ethnic category).

Yes, I think that's fair. I was only making my position clear.

Yes, I think that's fair. I was only making my position clear.

No, that's fair enough.

There's definitely a bunch of Son 'fanboys' in this thread (and normally, they only reside in here) who I assume are South Korean, or similar. They seem to attack any critic of his as "racist" and assume that the only reason people don't rate him is because of that reason.

He's definitely justified some of the critics - earlier in the season he reminded me of Eriksen a couple of seasons ago, where he could play like an utter braindead chicken for 80 mins, then have a blinding 10 mins and be lauded as Man of the Match. He has developed beyond that point, and was very consistent at a high level all second half of the season I'd say - he just needs to make that more of a feature of his game.

(I think the Lamela comparisons are natural - he was very much like that during 2015/16. We'd not be talking about needed new players in those areas if both players can stay injury free and consistent)

Only 6 players scored more goals per mins than him last year and all of them were strikers from the top 7 clubs (Kane, Giroud, Sanchez, Lukkau, Auguero & Ibrahimovic!! A genuine two footed player, can play left or right AM or 2nd Striker (don't think he's a loan striker). There are few better players than him when running at the goal, he will lose the ball because he is on it a lot, he is always looking to take on the oppo, turn the defender, if he does lose it we invariably win it back within 5 seconds and our attacks go again, this is one reason why no other team scores as many goals as us. Here is a trick, I promise you it works, when he loses the ball count to 5 and see what happens!

Common perception is Mane is amazing and a player that got away, yet Son scored & assisted more goals than him in less minutes played! Hazard played over 1000 mins more than him and scored just 2 more goals and assisted 1 less!! De Bruyne scored 6 from from 35 games! Sane 5 gaols from 25 games!! He's outperformed all these players, yet people still wank over them and turn their noises up at Son.

Bit unfair to judge a player based on one attempted tackle against Chelsea (Moses dived), if we are going to do that let's keep it real and call out Alderwield for also doing the exact same thing (his player didn't dive, his tackled brought down the player). Also bit of a myth about his defensive duties, point me to another specific where he is poor? Could be more aggressive in the tackle maybe.

Only 6 players scored more goals per mins than him last year and all of them were strikers from the top 7 clubs (Kane, Giroud, Sanchez, Lukkau, Auguero & Ibrahimovic!! A genuine two footed player, can play left or right AM or 2nd Striker (don't think he's a loan striker). There are few better players than him when running at the goal, he will lose the ball because he is on it a lot, he is always looking to take on the oppo, turn the defender, if he does lose it we invariably win it back within 5 seconds and our attacks go again, this is one reason why no other team scores as many goals as us. Here is a trick, I promise you it works, when he loses the ball count to 5 and see what happens!

Common perception is Mane is amazing and a player that got away, yet Son scored & assisted more goals than him in less minutes played! Hazard played over 1000 mins more than him and scored just 2 more goals and assisted 1 less!! De Bruyne scored 6 from from 35 games! Sane 5 gaols from 25 games!! He's outperformed all these players, yet people still wank over them and turn their noises up at Son.

Bit unfair to judge a player based on one attempted tackle against Chelsea (Moses dived), if we are going to do that let's keep it real and call out Alderwield for also doing the exact same thing (his player didn't dive, his tackled brought down the player). Also bit of a myth about his defensive duties, point me to another specific where he is poor? Could be more aggressive in the tackle maybe.

I fucking love Son, end of. I find him a joy to watch and he scored so many excellent / crucial goals this season. Can't wait to see him back out in a Spurs shirt!

Back
Top Bottom