Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He needs Richy back big time.

Left wing his best position. I’d actually put anyone in there at 9 to get him back in his most effective position. See newcastle at home for evidence.
💯 Son’s best position.

Any CF who can hold the play up and bring others in would be an improvement. Scarlett would’ve been that man yesterday as would Richarlison.

Johnson has been our best option for chances created. A decent CF (with Son following up from the left) would’ve finished at least a few of those chances.

As for defenders robbing Son easily as the ball is played up to him - we’ve leaked opportunities every time this has happened.

He needs Richy back big time.

Left wing his best position. I’d actually put anyone in there at 9 to get him back in his most effective position. See newcastle at home for evidence.

I won't dispute the fact that some games suit Son less at CF than others; but let's not lose sight of the LONG proven fact that he is just as prone to extended spells of bad form at LW.

Now we (the forum; not you and I) could go back and forth over what his best position is all day, but the "Son can't play CF" narrative is a myth.

Son @ CF at Spurs:
Apps: 97 / Goals: 50 / Asst: 24

Son @LW at Spurs:
Apps: 208 / Goals: 87 / Asst: 45

I won't dispute the fact that some games suit Son less at CF than others; but let's not lose sight of the LONG proven fact that he is just as prone to extended spells of bad form at LW.

Now we (the forum; not you and I) could go back and forth over what his best position is all day, but the "Son can't play CF" narrative is a myth.

Son @ CF at Spurs:

Son @LW at Spurs:

I didn’t say anything about his career form. But at the moment he’s ineffective at centre forward. Saliba and Gabriel won’t be losing any sleep against him playing there next match.

I didn’t say anything about his career form. But at the moment he’s ineffective at centre forward. Saliba and Gabriel won’t be losing any sleep against him playing there next match.

Sure, but you did say "I’d actually put anyone in there at 9 to get him back in his most effective position."

........Which is far more a reflection of wanting him at LW than it is an expression of what he can or can't do as a CF in the next match (if the replacement CF is a secondary concern).

Personally; I think if we're playing well and creating then Son be effective as a CF v the scum as they won't sit in. On the flipside; we could do what you suggest and I wouldn't expect much of an upswing in the creativity.

TLDR; we need to fix our wing and attacking MF play regardless of who's at CF.

I think the issue we’ve seen with Sonny the last few games is he’s just not effective as a CF against a packed defence when there is little time on the ball to pick a shot.

He doesn’t possess the physicality of a traditional CF in the Kane mould, and can’t outmuscle a CB.

When there’s more room up top he’s shown to be effective.

Problem with your argument is that will Richarlison be effective against Saliba or Gabriel any more than Son?

Son has scored many times against Woolwich because they play a high line. It would be foolish to drop him for Richarlison in a NLD.

He's a goal scorer, thats all.

Not a 9, not a 10, not a winger.
Like clockwork. Has a few good games as a no.9 then proceeds to play like dogshite for the next 5 games and gets moved to the wing and after a few games show he has lost yards of pace and the ball control of Bambi on Ice, his fanboys say he should be playing in the middle.

get that armband off him and give it to romero too. last bit of spursyness cut out from the club and given to someone who will run through a brick wall to win a game of football.

Son @ CF at Spurs:

Son @LW at Spurs:

There is also games and actual performances behind statistics, you know.

My biggest issue with his performance against Newcastle was not that he did not score.
It was the fact that every time he touched the ball, we lost it and twice it ended with Newcastle scoring.

This kind of gameplan does not work if there is no forward player that can keep the ball / or quickly play it forward in tightly packed areas. That is one of main reasons why Kulusevski was kept in the lineup, despite him not being much of a threat himself. He played as targetman on the wing. Now that there was no Richie nor Kulu, it was a ping-pong-play that ended in total collapse.

In that kind of formation playing Son as CF is detrimental for the whole team performance. And between his personal goalscoring record AND positive result for the team, I would pick... wait...let me think... good result.

Problem with your argument is that will Richarlison be effective against Saliba or Gabriel any more than Son?

Son has scored many times against Woolwich because they play a high line. It would be foolish to drop him for Richarlison in a NLD.

Why does it have to be one or another.

It is pretty obvious that Son is our most lethal finisher and I think he should play in NLD.
Play Richie up top, Johnson on one side and Son on another.

Timo is surely a nice fella, but we need goals from forwards. Not just someone who runs nicely for 15 minutes.

I feel that Son hate has gone way too far in the topic.

Yes, he had one of the shittiest displays in a Spurs shirt. He was utterly useless and also set in motion two attacks for Toon that ended in goals.

But ffs, it is at least 90% on Ange.
Anyone with 2 functioning braincells would have watched his previous games and make a conclusion that Son should not play with his back towards opposition goal as a target man. But somehow it seems that those last braincells inside the gaffers head were on vacation, and he changed nothing at all, despite Son being very poor with such task.

Even worse- I noticed Son dropping deep to collect the ball.
Literally - one of the most lethal finishers in world football, came to pick the ball up around half way line.

It is fucking criminally stupid. It is absolutely retarded.

Son is not Harry Kane version 2. Totally different players. Actually Kane dropping deep did work, but Son does not have the same attributes. So stop using him in that kind of way.
Keep your best finisher facing opposition goal, it is as easy as it can get in my view.

There is also games and actual performances behind statistics, you know.

My biggest issue with his performance against Newcastle was not that he did not score.
It was the fact that every time he touched the ball, we lost it and twice it ended with Newcastle scoring.

This kind of gameplan does not work if there is no forward player that can keep the ball / or quickly play it forward in tightly packed areas. That is one of main reasons why Kulusevski was kept in the lineup, despite him not being much of a threat himself. He played as targetman on the wing. Now that there was no Richie nor Kulu, it was a ping-pong-play that ended in total collapse.

In that kind of formation playing Son as CF is detrimental for the whole team performance. And between his personal goalscoring record AND positive result for the team, I would pick... wait...let me think... good result.

"I won't dispute the fact that some games suit Son less at CF than others"

....By a similar token; anyone disputing the fact that Son has played well in some games this season is being dishonest.

"I won't dispute the fact that some games suit Son less at CF than others"

....By a similar token; anyone disputing the fact that Son has played well in some games this season is being dishonest.

Yea, fair play to this part. But my worry is - he has been poor in the role against very different opposition. I mean let's not kid ourselves - ever since beating Villa, we have been poor.

But since then we have played Fulham, Luton, West Ham, Forest and Newcastle - teams that play different football.

OK I'd say all of them have played quite deep defense against us.
But here is the thing - any side with bit of foresight will. Cause it is the right way to demolish us. To play to our undenayable weakness while taking out our strenghts.

No surprise that in "Top-6-mini-league" we are on top (most points) - cause those sides play higher defense. But if I were Arteta and I would have belief in flexibility of my players, I would drop all lines few meters deeper, soak up the pressure, clog up middle of pitch and hit us on the counter. And it will be colossal bloodbath, 6:0 loss in derby at home. Lucky for us, managers like Klopp and Pep and Arteta are fixed in the way that they play (high tempo, high line, control the possession and tempo) which might give us a chance.

Why does it have to be one or another.

It is pretty obvious that Son is our most lethal finisher and I think he should play in NLD.
Play Richie up top, Johnson on one side and Son on another.

Timo is surely a nice fella, but we need goals from forwards. Not just someone who runs nicely for 15 minutes.
So you want to put our best goal threat on the left where he hasn't been great in a NLD??

I feel that Son hate has gone way too far in the topic.

Yes, he had one of the shittiest displays in a Spurs shirt. He was utterly useless and also set in motion two attacks for Toon that ended in goals.

But ffs, it is at least 90% on Ange.
Anyone with 2 functioning braincells would have watched his previous games and make a conclusion that Son should not play with his back towards opposition goal as a target man. But somehow it seems that those last braincells inside the gaffers head were on vacation, and he changed nothing at all, despite Son being very poor with such task.

Even worse- I noticed Son dropping deep to collect the ball.
Literally - one of the most lethal finishers in world football, came to pick the ball up around half way line.

It is fucking criminally stupid. It is absolutely retarded.

Son is not Harry Kane version 2. Totally different players. Actually Kane dropping deep did work, but Son does not have the same attributes. So stop using him in that kind of way.
Keep your best finisher facing opposition goal, it is as easy as it can get in my view.
He has actually been great dropping deep. He is second in the league in big chances created this season after Salah. He creates more than KDB /Odegaard/Bruno etc. for his teammates. He also has 15 goals and 9 assist to go with it.

I would say his teammates aren't the one capitalizing on his brilliance. Remember when Kane dropped deep he had Son to score the goals, no one else really did. If Kane didn't have Son we would be saying the same thing about him. If Son had a Kane or another Son level player on the wing we would be talking different.

Just for reference:
We created total of 60 big chances as a team 17 of those were created by Son.
Son has missed total of 4 big chances whole season.
Everyone else in the team missed 43 big chances combined.

Back
Top Bottom