Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lol, Why are you so angry at them? Its normal for a country to use their star, especially if they are not stacked with class players. Messi and Ronaldo played most of their international until the recent World Cup. Plus, it's up to the manager no?

So were you ok or even happy maybe to see Son being used to the very last minutes of the game? what was it, 87th min?

2-0. Son with an assist for the second goal too.

That pretty much confirms South Korea will top the group, which means his next game is the round of 16 on the 22nd January which South Korea will likely win as they will end up playing the likes of Bahrain, Palestine, Kyrgyzstan, Oman etc. - his quarter final would then be 25th January where he'll play one of: Iraq/Iran/Qatar/Saudi Arabia.

Best we could probably hope for is Iran who are one of the better teams in the competition. If not, then hes likely to play one of Australia/Japan in the semi finals which could see them knocked out and he'll be home for the Newcastle game.

Assuming Iran will top their group too, Korea wont face them till the final.

So were you ok or even happy maybe to see Son being used to the very last minutes of the game? what was it, 87th min?

For all I know, Messi / Ronaldo played almost every game for their national side despite having more class players in the roster until the recent world cup.

We should give him a chance on corners.
Eriksen always seem to smash the ball into the first man.

Not against seeing us mix up the corner takers a bit, but I remember reading an article about corner techniques, and it explained Eriksen’s approach.

In a nutshell, there’s a much higher probability of scoring if you get the ball close to (and past) the first man, but achieving that is more difficult than just smashing it into the box.

Last edited:
We should give him a chance on corners.
Eriksen always seem to smash the ball into the first man.

Someone with Eriksen, both when passing and shooting, should be able to whip in a corner past the first defender 99 of 100 times. Or at least float it past. Yet, as you say, he hit the first man considerably more than half the time.

Which leads me to think it's a delibarate ploy. Not trying to hit the first man, clearly, but to hit RIGHT above the reach of the first man. Where that defender risks flicking it on dangerously; we get someone running across that defender to flick (which we usually try to do); or it just misses the defender with a lot of pace thus giving defenders behind very little reaction time.

There must be a belief with Poch or somewhere in the coaching staff that the positive outcome of a few of those coming off is greating than the combined outcome of a greater number of more floated corners.

Not against seeing us mix up the corner takers a bit, but I remember reading an article about corner techniques, and it explained Eriksen’s approach.

In a nutshell, there’s a much higher probability of scoring if you get the ball close to (and past) the first man, but achieving that is more difficult than just smashing it into the box.
Is the higher probability of scoring cancelled out by the difficulty to it get past the first man though?

How many players can consistently hit those kind of corners for it to be worth it?
Otherwhise the corner is just wasted.

:sonhmm:

Is the higher probability of scoring cancelled out by the difficulty to it get past the first man though?

How many players can consistently hit those kind of corners for it to be worth it?
Otherwhise the corner is just wasted.

:sonhmm:

From memory it was something like most corners floated or smashed into other areas of the box would be cleared, but very few would lead to a goal. Corners aimed close to the first man were more likely to be cleared, but the percentage of goals shot up if the ball gets past them.

I’ll see if I can find the article. It did seem to make sense. Essentially a hit and hope that almost certainly won’t lead to anything vs a precise cross that if it comes off has a good chance of leading to a goal.

From memory it was something like most corners floated or smashed into other areas of the box would be cleared, but very few would lead to a goal. Corners aimed close to the first man were more likely to be cleared, but the percentage of goals shot up if the ball gets past them.

I’ll see if I can find the article. It did seem to make sense. Essentially a hit and hope that almost certainly won’t lead to anything vs a precise cross that if it comes off has a good chance of leading to a goal.
I think that tends to be the casem the only problem is whether or not you have a player who can hit it past the first man enought times to be worth it.

That takes some serious skill and while I think Eriksen is an amazing passer i'm not sure he's quite good enough on corners for it to be worth it.
Now if we had someone like Pirlo taking them...

I hope Sonny wins the thing. It's important to him and he's important to us. Injuries have already fucked our season. Sonny's happiness and enthusiasm is infectious...I want him to come home beaming.
Yeah he might as well win it since he's gonna miss games anyway, will only give him more confidence also

For all I know, Messi / Ronaldo played almost every game for their national side despite having more class players in the roster until the recent world cup.

Granted the new Korean squad manager was desperate and felt the sure way to secure the game was starting Sonny, but he should have at least subbed Sonny out of the game as soon as Korea went up 2:0 in the second half. Everything will be fine and dandy until Son gets injured from being overworked.

Why didn't we request he stay back. Surely he's done enough for his country. 3 tournaments around a full league season!!? Military service would have been easier than that!!

There are also Korean fans unhappy that Son started and played as many minutes as he did. This new coach has started decently but is increasingly making some very odd choices. Time will tell but hopefully he has the sense to rotate a little better considering our first knockout match is against the mighty Bahrain. Granted the victory against China meant topping the group and getting the relatively easy side of the bracket, presumably meeting Australia in the semis.

This makes sense. Anything floated in (a relatively straightforward skill for any pro footballer), the keeper and defenders (usually giants) have the advantage. A floated ball has much less pace than one fired in. The person heading the floated ball has to generate the power.

Anything hit low and with pace (a much more difficult skill) over the first man only needs a touch to deflect it goalwards. I know it's frustrating seeing him hit that first blocking man, but the tactic seems to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom