Have we signed Paulo Dybala yet?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Image rights schemes - third party ownership for example - are largely about avoiding tax and can be used in a limited way. Much like EBTs before them, over the past few years HMRC took a tougher stance and issued warnings and started investigations. I suspect people will start getting in trouble soon or have to treat their third party image rights income under personal income tax.

Edit: sorry, I didn't mean all Image rights schemes were not allowed, but Dybala's certainly is. I see your example was just an issue of his image being used without permission. Obviously image rights schemes are about "image rights" however that is defined by HMRC. It has largely been used to avoid tax as clubs pay a fee to a third party along side a player's wages. This fee is taxed at a much lower rate, allowing players to pay to avoid higher taxes on "image rights" income. I am sure HMRC would have had a few questions for Dybala...
Wasn't Messi and Ronaldo's tax troubles all to do with image rights payments?

Still holding onto the hope that we can get him in January. Would give us more time to negotiate image rights as well

Hope so aswell. I think the only fear factor up until 2nd September is PSG. I don't see Dybala going to Inter in a swap deal with Icardi, I think he respects Juve too much for that.

Apparently Dybala is being told he may be left out of Juve’s CL squad if he doesn’t find another club.

And yet, the rhetoric was that Juventus pulled out of the deal to sell him to us on deadline day?

If we were serious about signing him, Levy should do the fucking ground work now so that we can get him in January. If he’s not registered for the CL then he won’t be cup tied for the knockout stages should we get him.

I heard that Juve pulled out due to the image rights bollocks and PSG having a sniff late in the piece so Juve put us in the too hard basket. If the PL window was aligned then perhaps this wouldnt have happened but it is in the past now.

The cunts who have the image rights are the villians here. Not Juve...for once.

It's an interesting scenario - Juve have fucked up and got 6 players they can't even register for the coming CL season plus a huge wages bill .... that might mean a cheap Dybala sale to PSG, however for that to happen PSG need to shift Neymar and that could have a knock on effect with Pogba and even Eriksen. If Dybala isn't transferred, and isn't registered for the CL, he will be a near certainty to move in January ... can't see what's stopping us penciling an agreement now for January ... who knows maybe we have

It would seem logical for us to see if a 'pre agreement' can be signed in advance of the January window on the proviso that the image rights stuff gets sorted.

However, this needs to be done with caution as we may very well be out of Europe; and if our top 4 prospects are looking slim we will not want to have committed huge wages without a ECL income.

Is this still going? Let it go. If we'd have signed it would have been the start of the decline of us as a club.

The three best run clubs at the moment are us, City and Liverpool. What they have in common is signing players purely for what they bring to the pitch.

United, Woolwich and Chelsea bring other factors into the equation. I.E. That the player has a lot of twitter followers (Ozil) or will be good for the American market (Pulisic). And you could name any number of United players bought to increase shirt sales. Dybala is a name but not the player we need at all at the moment and it's a slippery slope if you start down that road.

Apparently Dybala is being told he may be left out of Juve’s CL squad if he doesn’t find another club.

And yet, the rhetoric was that Juventus pulled out of the deal to sell him to us on deadline day?

If we were serious about signing him, Levy should do the fucking ground work now so that we can get him in January. If he’s not registered for the CL then he won’t be cup tied for the knockout stages should we get him.
I think this "image rights" stuff may be more of a problem than just paying the money. It seems to be a huge amount in comparison to his income. There could be complicated restructuring arrangements which need to be put in place. I don't know though, it all seems a bit dodgy to me.

Is this still going? Let it go. If we'd have signed it would have been the start of the decline of us as a club.

The three best run clubs at the moment are us, City and Liverpool. What they have in common is signing players purely for what they bring to the pitch.

United, Woolwich and Chelsea bring other factors into the equation. I.E. That the player has a lot of twitter followers (Ozil) or will be good for the American market (Pulisic). And you could name any number of United players bought to increase shirt sales. Dybala is a name but not the player we need at all at the moment and it's a slippery slope if you start down that road.

We belong to the same group as the latter three:
Asian market: Son
American market: Yedlin
Poch loves Argentina: Gazzaniga, Foyth, Lo Celso, Lamela, (Dybala), Fazio
And most importantly (although I am not sure why), the N'-market: N'Jie, N'Koudou, N'Dombele

And most importantly (although I am not sure why), the N'-market: N'Jie, N'Koudou, N'Dombele

We absolutely bought Son the footballer, the South Korean thing is a bonus. Yedlin, maybe, but he was bought for peanuts and we moved him on quickly for a profit.

Can people just stop with this N'Dombele bullshit.

It's an interesting scenario - Juve have fucked up and got 6 players they can't even register for the coming CL season plus a huge wages bill .... that might mean a cheap Dybala sale to PSG, however for that to happen PSG need to shift Neymar and that could have a knock on effect with Pogba and even Eriksen. If Dybala isn't transferred, and isn't registered for the CL, he will be a near certainty to move in January ... can't see what's stopping us penciling an agreement now for January ... who knows maybe we have

Image rights wasn't the issue iirc . It's was agent fees which were about 15-20 mill. That's not going to change. Dybala won't come to Spurs now, the chance is gone. If anything it's Fernandes we might return to in Jan or next summer

Also Juventus' wage bill is bonkers, we have almost the same amount of revenue (north of 400 million euros), yet their wage bill is almost 3 times as high as ours (260 million euros gross versus our 90 million euros gross)

Back
Top Bottom