Have we reached as far as we could go with the current set-up ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have we reached as far as we can go? Yeah, I think we have, but if we can stay at this level, we're a good shout for any cup we enter.

What I don't see us being able to do is become a 95+ point type side. As long as that's where you have to get to for a league title, I think we're out of luck.

It is an end of an era - For this squad at least.
5 years ago, we had one of the youngest team, with a few players in their prime, and a number of starlets.

Now that our starlets are in their prime, or moving into that phase, and our prime players transitioning into arguably their former glories.

The difference is that I think our current batch of regulars (Kane, Dele, Winks) have earned a bucket load of experience challenging for honors. Poch uphill battle is to replace the past peak players (won't name names) with a better crop of players with a higher ceiling than it was 5 years ago.

For that, it is exciting and equally scary, because we never know if they will live up to their potential.

Other than 2014, this is arguably the weakest team under Poch (of course injuries didn’t help). It’s a miracle he was able to get top 4 and reach a CL Final.

We certainly have a good foundation to build on but it’s going to take a few big signings to be a serious contender again.

We should change our style of play to just aim for players arms in the box and just let Kane take the pens

There's some truth in that. As VAR makes its presence known in English football, the teams that learn how to abuse it the most effectively will profit.

Yeah, we need to change things up a bit but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. This, after all, is the team (and formations) that has seen our best sustained period of on field success for 30 years - maybe 60 years. We still look insanely vulnerable in defence - no team leaves themselves as exposed in fullback and DM areas without the ball.

However, not enough praise has gone to Poch for addressing this in the CL final with wider positioning of our midfield 3. That raises the question of whether we can afford playing an attacking trio or quartet that is too often neutralised by deep defending.

To a point,yes.
A few signings are needed.We can't wing another transfer window ,and lets hope getting to the final isn't used to paper over any cracks.
We have the basis of a very good team.But it needs some investment,and to realise with lines ups "its horses for courses" I love HK and belive him to be one of the best goal scorers in the world,but he should have been on the bench Saturday night.

Yeh I tend to think once a player hits two years with their contract we offer them a new one and if not sell for highest value and try and get 2-3 players with the money. Woolwich have shown what happens when you piss about and Ramsey leaves for free.

Don't you think that's exactly what we have been trying to do with regard to CE & TA tho'?

To suggest we're happy to watch them wind their deals down or that it's by design is ludicrous.

Don't you think that's exactly what we have been trying to do with regard to CE & TA tho'?

To suggest we're happy to watch them wind their deals down or that it's by design is ludicrous.

Where did I say we are happy about their contracts winding down?

More about what you do when you hit the 2 year mark, do you sell for highest value or not.

I think our only chance is to match the price and get it done early. He bullied the Man City midfield in the CL games and was heavily linked with them and a few other clubs but all the reports are that we are the first ones knocking.

Any likely hold up could well be due to player or selling club holding out to see what other offers come in.

We can't hurry that which won't be rushed.

Where did I say we are happy about their contracts winding down?

More about what you do when you hit the 2 year mark, do you sell for highest value or not.

I didn't mean that you thought we were, but the question remains.... What else do you imagine would be going on here?

I didn't mean that you thought we were, but the question remains.... What else do you imagine would be going on here?

Personally if someone came in and say offered £100 mil for Dele and he was on 2 years and refused to extend I would accept. Club may look at it differently, just as we can’t thrown money around like City obviously if we sell a good player and get 2-3 good players as replacements overall the squad improves.

It's as much about Sponsors as it is about football.
AIA didn't agree to stump up £350m just because it's Tottenham.
It's the likes of Kane and Dele, wearing a Spurs shirt with AIA on it that gets that kind of deal.
If we sold those two and got some no name replacements in, AIA are gonna a be fuming.

Sad old state of affairs, especially when it seems that money doesn't get invested in the team anyway, so why should Poch care?

There seem to be a lot of these types of thread on here recently...

"Have we gone as far as we can...?"
"#BackPoch"
"Are we papering over the cracks...?"
"Do the players think they're better than they are...?"

...there's a definite underlying theme/tone to all of these....
...and not necessarily one from a Spurs perspective!

The FUCK is going on with some of our online support?
:kanehand:

Personally if someone came in and say offered £100 mil for Dele and he was on 2 years and refused to extend I would accept. Club may look at it differently, just as we can’t thrown money around like City obviously if we sell a good player and get 2-3 good players as replacements overall the squad improves.

Entirely dependent on receiving bids tho, of course.

Why is there so much faith in a manager that has won nothing? (I don't include the audi cup).

In other words, do we think Mourinho or Pep would have won the CL final last year with the same team? Possibly.

Back
Top Bottom