Have we reached as far as we could go with the current set-up ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet another trophyless season and this is frustrating from the team that has promised so much until the final obstacle.
Poised to lose both Eriksen and Toby which would be ripping out a key player from our attack and defence . Levy needs to bring some changes in to take Spurs to the next level
1. Emergency revision of the salary cap and offer Toby a new deal meeting his demands that would hopefully change his mind and keep him for another 2 years
2. Los Celso needs to be priority#1 signing no matter what it takes. Very few players can replace Eriksen
3. Trippier's position needs to be upgraded and he needs to be moved on. Wan Bissaka is the best RWB in the country currently - sign him.
4. The side lacks pace compared to the likes of City and liverpool who have Mane, sterling,Sane,Mosalah etc. Pace is critical for counter attacks as well as to break down teams parking the bus. Pacy wingers need to be signed to give an added dimension to the team - we can't rely on Moura and Son's heroics to carry us through every single game. Lamela is useless and needs to be sold -even if he played in the final yesterday he wouldn't have made a difference given his attributes already shown
5. Wanyama is done. Need a reliable DM who can go toe-to-toe with the best and win the midfield battles - and push Sissoko for the spot . Ndombele!

Good points but regarding point 2 and based on last night and recent months Eriksen can easily be replaced.

Too many of our attacking players are guaranteed to play regardless of form and that needs to change.

For me it is a case of defensive midfield having no competition, right-back having no competition, and striker having no competition. Those are three areas we could target with World Class players and get rid of deadwood. The other thing is, a lot has been made about Poch and the glass ceiling. However, clearly there is at least one year of progression left if he has got us to a final twice and not won and two semis and not won.

I credit Pochettino for using all of his forward players, but I feel he used them incorrectly and it was a case of too many cooks. That said, all of the four or five or six he brought on up front were not firing properly. I feel we should target very specific areas like Klopp and Liverpool and come back stronger.

We have definitely reached the end of the line for this selection of central midfielders. Wanyama is physically finished and without Dembele we have nobody who has both power and poise in the centre. Sissoko is a trier but limited in every technical aspect.

We need to buy 2 energetic and technical CMs to refresh that area of the pitch, games are won and lost in the middle and we have not had the proper balance in there for the entire season. I don't believe our defense or attack need massive reinforcement, it's midfield that is making the whole team look bad.

Game was lost in the final third.

Again.

Same thing all season long, you can replace the RB, and you can sign Ndombele, and it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference last night.

Kane didn’t touch the ball and shouldn’t have been anywhere near the starting line up.
Eriksen was his usual average, Dele was yet again in division 3 form, and Son just didn’t have the space (because Kane was in it doing nothing)

We’ve gone as far as we can with this attack, that’s the most painfully obvious thing for me and has been all year. Poch needs to make some big decisions because last night he wasn’t prepared to call the shots that needed calling.

Winks off for Moura? Why not Dele?
Straight swap, done.

Tired off the names still getting free reign over the performers and that’s what’s killing this team.
Dele and Eriksen won’t be missed, and we will see far more improvement if we build our attack around Moura and Son, and get some replacement forwards in.

And yes, Trippier was all over the place, but like I said, put Wan Bissaka there if you want, you’re deluded if you think that will bring something out of Dele or Eriksen.

Depends on the level of ambition. Personally if Toby and Eriksen go then the below would re-energise us. Even with sales that about £150-200 mil of spending, don’t see it personally but think we might hit £100 mil or so net. We don’t have a choice as if we fail to go hard I have a feeling Poch will leave as he will think done as much as I can.

Wan Bisska (60 mil)
DM of quality like Rodri (60 mil)
Lo Celso (60 mil)
Ndombele ( 60 mil)
Sessegnon (30 mil)
Malcolm or Fekir or both (40-80 mil)

Sell

Trippier 25 mil
Waynama 10 mil
Toby and Eriksen (would rather keep) £100 mil
Janssen 8 mil
Llorentte free
Nkuoduo 5 mil

Game was lost in the final third.

Again.

Same thing all season long, you can replace the RB, and you can sign Ndombele, and it wouldn’t have made the slightest difference last night.

Kane didn’t touch the ball and shouldn’t have been anywhere near the starting line up.
Eriksen was his usual average, Dele was yet again in division 3 form, and Son just didn’t have the space (because Kane was in it doing nothing)

We’ve gone as far as we can with this attack, that’s the most painfully obvious thing for me and has been all year. Poch needs to make some big decisions because last night he wasn’t prepared to call the shots that needed calling.

Winks off for Moura? Why not Dele?
Straight swap, done.

Tired off the names still getting free reign over the performers and that’s what’s killing this team.
Dele and Eriksen won’t be missed, and we will see far more improvement if we build our attack around Moura and Son, and get some replacement forwards in.

And yes, Trippier was all over the place, but like I said, put Wan Bissaka there if you want, you’re deluded if you think that will bring something out of Dele or Eriksen.

Hard questions to answer for me in some ways.

Would Ndombele and Wan Bisska have changed the game in our favour?

Maybe, both are quick and in the case of Ndombele powerful who can break though the line very often which would have defiantly opened Liverpool up more so we would have probably had more chances with then on the pitch in terms of how the game dynamic would play out.

Winks off?

Very bad call from Poch, our best player other than Rose, should have been Kane or Dele subbed I agree there with you 100%.

Dele and Eriksen?

Both have had poor seasons and IMV are replaceable however our pattern of play would change. If Eriksen leaves and we get Lo Celso, Fekir and say Malcolm we would improve no question IMO and we would have proper competition for places.

Need to be ruthless with these players, they either want to be here or not. Bored of them pissing about over their contracts.

In turn the wage cap needs to be moved higher.

Toby is getting on, time to find a long term replacement

Hard questions to answer for me in some ways.

Would Ndombele and Wan Bisska have changed the game in our favour?

Maybe, both are quick and in the case of Ndombele powerful who can break though the line very often which would have defiantly opened Liverpool up more so we would have probably had more chances with then on the pitch in terms of how the game dynamic would play out.

Winks off?

Very bad call from Poch, our best player other than Rose, should have been Kane or Dele subbed I agree there with you 100%.

Dele and Eriksen?

Both have had poor seasons and IMV are replaceable however our pattern of play would change. If Eriksen leaves and we get Lo Celso, Fekir and say Malcolm we would improve no question IMO and we would have proper competition for places.

I’m fully up for a wholesale change in our style of play next year.
Failing a return to pressing, Id like to see players signed that can see us go 442 to be honest.

Flat back 4, a destroyer, a creative/holding mid, two wingers and two strikers (or at least an AM behind Kane)

Sick of our formation, sick of our backwards passing and hesitation, and sick of not having any shots.

We had more shots on target in injury time than the 90 last night. I think our first was Eriksens free kick on 85 minutes.
It’s no good being great on the ball in the middle of the pitch and own area.....we just aren’t threat going forward anymore until there’s 10 minutes left.

Need to be ruthless with these players, they either want to be here or not. Bored of them pissing about over their contracts.

In turn the wage cap needs to be moved higher.

Toby is getting on, time to find a long term replacement

Yeh I tend to think once a player hits two years with their contract we offer them a new one and if not sell for highest value and try and get 2-3 players with the money. Woolwich have shown what happens when you piss about and Ramsey leaves for free.

I’m fully up for a wholesale change in our style of play next year.
Failing a return to pressing, Id like to see players signed that can see us go 442 to be honest.

Flat back 4, a destroyer, a creative/holding mid, two wingers and two strikers (or at least an AM behind Kane)

Sick of our formation, sick of our backwards passing and hesitation, and sick of not having any shots.

We had more shots on target in injury time than the 90 last night. I think our first was Eriksens free kick on 85 minutes.
It’s no good being great in the ball in the middle of the pitch and own area.....we just aren’t threat going forward anymore until there’s 10 minutes left.

I think we are more likely to change to a more type Liverpool model, Son and Lucas are quick dynamic players, if we get one or two like that we could go down a hard press route that Liverpool use. Eriksen and Dele are not suited for that game type.

Poch also ideally likes a hard press which he used when we had a younger team, I just don’t think we have the players for it, if we did I think this would come back.

I think we are more likely to change to a more type Liverpool model, Son and Lucas are quick dynamic players, if we get one or two like that we could go down a hard press route that Liverpool use. Eriksen and Dele are not suited for that game type.

Poch also ideally likes a hard press which he used when we had a younger team, I just don’t think we have the players for it, if we did I think this would come back.

My issue here is that we did it first. Liverpool took our model and made it better and we gave up on it.

The Leicester season style of play is a distant memory for this squad, so we either pioneer something new (442 is so out of fashion that it would be new) or we continue to bauble along with no identity.

Some great points tbf, this squad is done. It lost 20 games this season. If eriksen wants to leave I'll drive him there myself. Never seen such a high profile player go missing in big games. Dele is a major worry. Looks every bit a league one player with flicks and farts. Agree, build around front 3 of son kane moura

Good points but regarding point 2 and based on last night and recent months Eriksen can easily be replaced.

Too many of our attacking players are guaranteed to play regardless of form and that needs to change.

100% this players like Kane and Eriksen and especially Ali have all been below par this year even when fit, and it's because they know they are playing no matter what. No surprise Son, Moura and Sissoko players fighting for there place with something to prove have carried us.

I understand Poch doesn't really have backups to both and it 100% needs addressing but I'm starting to fear Kane has a clause saying he plays no matter what he was 50% fit at best last night and it killed us was criminal he started and it's not the first time it's happened this year either.

Also on the note on Ali he has next year to prove himself to me or we should be looking at a replacement he had a fantastic year and a half no doubt but this is the second season in a row he's been very poor and struggles it seems to stay fit.

Like I said last night being CL finalists is a hell of a brick wall to hit...used to be qualifying for the Europa League was beyond us, then the top 4 was the impossible dream, we are making fucking great progress, we just need to find players with a bit more consistency in putting balls into dangerous positions in the box ...

I usually defend Eriksen to the hilt but it is probably best if he announces his departure sooner rather than later.

Agreed. I know he has good numbers this season but I think Eriksen has hit his ceiling here.

We need players that still play their best in big matches and we simply don’t have enough of those players right now.

Actually thought some or the build up play was good but not enough decisiveness or ruthlessness

Let's face it, we will be lucky if we sign one 50+ mil player this summer. Foyth will step into Davinsons spot, who will step in for Toby. Eriksen will be sold which will hurt badly but at least we won't have to keep playing Dele out of position anymore.

Levy's number one priority will be balancing the books as usual, and with the stadium payments to make, there won't be any grand rebuild, or massive retooling. Short of a miracle we remain in upper table limbo waiting for a mega money buyer, or several years for the stadium to be paid off.

Back
Top Bottom