Has anyone else had enough?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

FA Cup final day was brilliant.

I watched it every year from about 1970 to around the early 1990s without fail. I genuinely cannot recall the last time I watched it. Haven't watched a League cup final since ours in 2008.
Indeed it was.
I remember my mum use to make several big plates of sandwiches and then go out shopping,as she loved the fact it was as so quiet. My dad had a mate round,me and my older brother several. My dad and brothers lot drinking cans of beer me and my mate/s drinking coke(we rarely had it my house as kid, apart from Christmas this was probably the only time). Curtains drawn at quarter to 3 to keep the sun off the telly and that was us until the end. Brilliant memories.
I hate the way the cup final has been allowed to be down graded.
I remember cup final it's a knock out on the morning of the final as well. Seem to recall a version of mastermind as well one year. Must have been one of Woolwich were in as the bloke was asked a question and the answer was spurs and he answered "that mob up the road".
The FA Cup final was a major event in many many households back then.

Stating the bleedin obvious but football changed with Sky and the PL. Tottenham Hotspur is not a football club, it's a business, a brand, out there to make the owners money. And it's the same with most of the "top" clubs in Europe. Players, with the odd exception (Harry and Harry for example) have no real loyalty anymore. Christ, I remember John Pratt crying as he walked of the pitch at Villa Park when relegation was all but confirmed. Can you imagine Eriksen doing that?
Oh and Poch in BTW for now anyway

Prophetic thread from Mensa Mensa , your perspicacity serves you well

Cheers Mick, I just couldn’t see us getting up off the canvas in a league with 2 dominant teams and deep down everyone in squad must know they would never get to a CL final again

To go for the league cup after the Lord Mayors show is a tough sell

When I went to Southampton game and been asking my yid friends at home, people including family were going 7/8 times a season minimum are now not even turning on the TV this year

The numbness is everywhere, we can sit on this forum for eternity blaming everyone at club but it’s all done and dusted

Football? - completed it mate

Sorry if I will get a bit waffly, but I am Italian :pochbye:

Yes, I am Italian (actually, since a few years ago, I am British as well) and I have moved here almost 18 years ago (I had never thought it would have happened, but I couldn’t say no to some opportunity that came up in my life)

I am 52, I support Torino, and since the late 70s I have become also a Spurs supporter… I may expand on this on another thread about foreign supporters (Ossie, Hoddle, Steve Archibald, the 1982 Le Coq Sportif centenary kit, the colours, the instinct I have always had about this club, even from far in a time when it was so precious to watch an English game) … It started as “Ok, definitely my club in England are Spurs”… but soon became much more than that…Why Spurs? Why not Forest or Liverpool or other clubs?

Because to me football is about poetry, intensity and emotion.. it’s about passion and beauty in different forms… it’s about “US and them”… it’s where my tribal instinct goes (it certainly doesn’t want to go into politics, religion or other shit like that)… In Spurs I have always seen all this , as I have always seen this in Torino (although before moving to UK I had lost a bit of passion on that, and it’s a lot to do with modern football, but not just… however, this is not the thread to talk about that). (Nothing to do with the fact that both teams have an animal farm on the badge :harryhmm: )

I don’t deny that one of the many reasons I accepted the proposals to move here was Spurs. I remember the first time I went to the Lane (the 0-2 defeat against Chelscum , when Mido got sent off)… I remember the heart thumping for the emotion… while I saw the stadium in reality fir the first time, when I got into the stands… For different reasons, I don’t go to more than 3-4 games every season, but every time I watch spurs (even on telly) I still got the heart thumping

The Bayern game was my first time at the new stadium, and I feel exactly that buzz, even more for the novelty (I must admit that when I saw the new Park Lane stand my jaw dropped… I have never seen anything with more intimidating potential

The game is shit these days, football is broken and there is a lot of gentrification and dilution of intensity … but I still love it , because I still connect with the way I feel it, to the point that I can almost ignore every modern part of it… The other thing that is happening is that I very rarely watch any other club playing (it has to be by chance while being in a pub)

I have often come to this forum to lurk, as there is an awful lot of good stuff. I love listening to the stories of people who have supported this club from much longer than me and much more closely ( I just name a few, sorry for all the others: Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor , Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman , Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 )

For some reason, now that we are in this shit moment I feel even closer to this forum… It’s a way to feel closer to what we are even when I cannot go to the Lane, and maybe it’s a way to throw some of my positive energy into it

What happened last year, in particular losing the CL final , hasn’t killed my passion at all… It was very painful to lose it for a day or two , of course, but I have always felt very relaxed about that game: to me that was a gift, one of hundreds that I got from this manager and squad… I was always relaxed and I always am, even in this shit moment, for two reasons:

• I just know that we are (very slowly and with some very painful spell) heading into winning everything, and we will do in our style
  • I have never expected to achieve what we have achieved in this generation… I have always seen this as a step forward… and quite a wonderful one!

How do I feel about Spurs now? I feel that whatever happens it’s time to bite the bullet and go through a couple of years of painful rebuild … This has happened in the past and we have always moved forward from that… I am not discussing here what manager I want to be at the helm or other things; there are other threads about that

But yes, generally speaking the football circus is pretty shit these days, and it will probably become worse)

COYS!!!

Over the years I've considered jacking it in on a few occasions but sometimes, in the most unlikely circumstances, the defiance and siege mentality steps in. Was at the game yesterday and one of those moments occurred. 3-0 down to Brighton and then 'Tottenham Till I Die' starts up (which lets face it only usually gets sung in times of trouble) and you realise there is actually no other place i'd rather be. Win, lose or draw its with you for life.

This is was you get from two transfer windows in which one you sign absolutely fuck all and two you sign two good players even though you need to strengthen multiple positions.

I want them all out starting with Levy and ENIC. This is on their hands.

Bore off.... This isn't the Poch/Enic out whinge thread.... Can't you drones save that shit for EVERY other damn thread?

It's no coincidence Liverpool & city got new owners & are now flying. Unless we change owners we will never get there.

You too.

I think what I hate the most about our situation now is how much time I invest into Twitter and opposition forums etc. I hate other fans ‘bantering’ us as much as I hate losing itself.

I guess it would be easier to just not go onto twitter, not get involved in the cesspit that it is! It works both ways though, Dt, and troopz and moh etc are guys that I hold a genuine hatred for.

I’m a nice person, genuinely. I don’t hate anyone! But football is so tribal that I love seeing those guys suffer when Woolwich lose etc.

Equally then you have united fans, who despite how utterly shit they are started a thread on red cafe about ‘how many of our players they’d take’ considering our demise.

It’s all heightened by the fact that with this rise over the last few years the biggest indicator tha we’re a big club now is all the attention we get! Durham on talksport sticking the boot in everyday.

I love football, what i’ve Realised is that I immerse myself in it so much that when we lose it affects all the aspects I read etc.

Indeed it was.
I remember my mum use to make several big plates of sandwiches and then go out shopping,as she loved the fact it was as so quiet. My dad had a mate round,me and my older brother several. My dad and brothers lot drinking cans of beer me and my mate/s drinking coke(we rarely had it my house as kid, apart from Christmas this was probably the only time). Curtains drawn at quarter to 3 to keep the sun off the telly and that was us until the end. Brilliant memories.
I hate the way the cup final has been allowed to be down graded.
I remember cup final it's a knock out on the morning of the final as well. Seem to recall a version of mastermind as well one year. Must have been one of Woolwich were in as the bloke was asked a question and the answer was spurs and he answered "that mob up the road".
The FA Cup final was a major event in many many households back then.
I used to have all my Spurs friends round, lay on a buffet, watch the build up and the game, and then go over the park and have a game ourselves. I think one year it was the same as Eurovision, and we had a sweepstake on the winner. Happy days.

Yes, I am Italian (actually, since a few years ago, I am British as well) and I have moved here almost 18 years ago (I had never thought it would have happened, but I couldn’t say no to some opportunity that came up in my life)

I am 52, I support Torino, and since the late 70s I have become also a Spurs supporter… I may expand on this on another thread about foreign supporters (Ossie, Hoddle, Steve Archibald, the 1982 Le Coq Sportif centenary kit, the colours, the instinct I have always had about this club, even from far in a time when it was so precious to watch an English game) … It started as “Ok, definitely my club in England are Spurs”… but soon became much more than that…Why Spurs? Why not Forest or Liverpool or other clubs?

Because to me football is about poetry, intensity and emotion.. it’s about passion and beauty in different forms… it’s about “US and them”… it’s where my tribal instinct goes (it certainly doesn’t want to go into politics, religion or other shit like that)… In Spurs I have always seen all this , as I have always seen this in Torino (although before moving to UK I had lost a bit of passion on that, and it’s a lot to do with modern football, but not just… however, this is not the thread to talk about that). (Nothing to do with the fact that both teams have an animal farm on the badge :harryhmm: )

I don’t deny that one of the many reasons I accepted the proposals to move here was Spurs. I remember the first time I went to the Lane (the 0-2 defeat against Chelscum , when Mido got sent off)… I remember the heart thumping for the emotion… while I saw the stadium in reality fir the first time, when I got into the stands… For different reasons, I don’t go to more than 3-4 games every season, but every time I watch spurs (even on telly) I still got the heart thumping

The Bayern game was my first time at the new stadium, and I feel exactly that buzz, even more for the novelty (I must admit that when I saw the new Park Lane stand my jaw dropped… I have never seen anything with more intimidating potential

The game is shit these days, football is broken and there is a lot of gentrification and dilution of intensity … but I still love it , because I still connect with the way I feel it, to the point that I can almost ignore every modern part of it… The other thing that is happening is that I very rarely watch any other club playing (it has to be by chance while being in a pub)

I have often come to this forum to lurk, as there is an awful lot of good stuff. I love listening to the stories of people who have supported this club from much longer than me and much more closely ( I just name a few, sorry for all the others: Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor , Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman , Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 )

For some reason, now that we are in this shit moment I feel even closer to this forum… It’s a way to feel closer to what we are even when I cannot go to the Lane, and maybe it’s a way to throw some of my positive energy into it

What happened last year, in particular losing the CL final , hasn’t killed my passion at all… It was very painful to lose it for a day or two , of course, but I have always felt very relaxed about that game: to me that was a gift, one of hundreds that I got from this manager and squad… I was always relaxed and I always am, even in this shit moment, for two reasons:

• I just know that we are (very slowly and with some very painful spell) heading into winning everything, and we will do in our style
  • I have never expected to achieve what we have achieved in this generation… I have always seen this as a step forward… and quite a wonderful one!

How do I feel about Spurs now? I feel that whatever happens it’s time to bite the bullet and go through a couple of years of painful rebuild … This has happened in the past and we have always moved forward from that… I am not discussing here what manager I want to be at the helm or other things; there are other threads about that

But yes, generally speaking the football circus is pretty shit these days, and it will probably become worse)

COYS!!!
Think you've expressed what most of us feel pretty darn well.
Football is so commercialized now, but when a game is actually taking place, all the side show gets kicked into touch, and all you want is to win the game.

I used to have all my Spurs friends round, lay on a buffet, watch the build up and the game, and then go over the park and have a game ourselves. I think one year it was the same as Eurovision, and we had a sweepstake on the winner. Happy days.

I used to have a FA Cup curry 🍛 day

I would cook 👨‍🍳 and everyone else would bring the booze

Times like 1981 would last until the early hours
Everyone sleeping where they fell!!

Mrs B’s full English in the morning for the more stronger stomachs
Not mine sadly

Great times to be a Spur

Think you've expressed what most of us feel pretty darn well.
Football is so commercialized now, but when a game is actually taking place, all the side show gets kicked into touch, and all you want is to win the game.
I don't know how it was in the old days here, but I still enjoy a couple of pints in the pub before the game, fans chanting and all that ... Much different from drinking inside the stadium, Wembley style

COYS!!!

Nice post. Cheers.

I don't know how it was in the old days here, but I still enjoy a couple of pints in the pub before the game, fans chanting and all that ... Much different from drinking inside the stadium, Wembley style
I just get to Tottenham a bit earlier so I can meet friends in the pub first, then meet any TFCers who are around in the Dispensary, works for me.

Back
Top Bottom