Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Also when eriksen and ndombelle play they go for the ball they free themselves and play as the link play forward , winks when does get the ball he play slow and with stress to find the safest pass a lot of the time back so no much of speed in the attack when he plays .

Meh. You're comparing someone deployed as a #6 to a #8 or a #10..... Apples and oranges.

Not his best game.

Not helped by Sissoko disappearing from central midfield from minute one.
to cover Aurier mainly, it looked tactical (wrong tactics ) rather than Sissoko disappearing for me. Either that or Moura was not doing as asked but it looked like he was asked to stretch the game rather than track back.

Got to stop thinking every youngish English player is gonna be the next Kane.

Vast majority will be lucky to be the next Tom Carroll.

Some have got to stop exagerating for strawman purposes too.

Thinking Winks is a decent player doesn't equate to declaring him world class.

Poor cunt's been played in a position that doesn't suit him for nearly 18months. Dispite this he has had more decent (or good) performances than bad (for club and country!); yet plenty of peeps wanna throw him on the scrap heap and call him "shit" and "champo".

Last edited:
Got to stop thinking every youngish English player is gonna be the next Kane.

Vast majority will be lucky to be the next Tom Carroll.

Equally, shouldn't we perhaps be even more concerned that Mr Sub-Carrol is keeping 120m worth of summer signings out of the team under 2 different managers now?

Esp. if were gonna take such a dismissive attitude towards homegrown players. What does that say about foreign talent?

Equally, shouldn't we perhaps be even more concerned that Mr Sub-Carrol is keeping 120m worth of summer signings out of the team under 2 different managers now?

Esp. if were gonna take such a dismissive attitude towards homegrown players. What does that say about foreign talent?
I'm not being dismissive of all homegrown players but realistically most ain't gonna make it at the top level.

Got a Jack Wheelchair feeling about him one decent CL performance and the hype train is off the rails.

to cover Aurier mainly, it looked tactical (wrong tactics ) rather than Sissoko disappearing for me. Either that or Moura was not doing as asked but it looked like he was asked to stretch the game rather than track back.

In possession
Serge: false#RW
Moura: false#10
Sissoko: #8

Out of possession
Serge: Retreating winger
Moura: False-RB
Moura: False#8
Winks: Both CMs.

Can you spell needlessly convoluted....?

He didn't get much help last night. The first 35 mins of the game our front 4 did absolutely nothing. At the same time Sissoko kept dropping right because Aurier is in no rush to get back home. The first time Kane and Co positioned themselves correctly, United played a ball up through the middle wich Winks was able to break, and we ended up scoring on that attack

Poor cunt's been played in a position that doesn't suit him for nearly 18months.

What is his best position? Not being snarky, genuine question.

He's not a DM, and he's not an attacking CM. He appears to be the luxury position of a 'ball recycler' in a midfield 3. I just don't think that works anymore.

What is his best position? Not being snarky, genuine question.

He's not a DM, and he's not an attacking CM. He appears to be the luxury position of a 'ball recycler' in a midfield 3. I just don't think that works anymore.

He originally came into the team as #8... Showed great promise on the basis or having the vitality to get up and down the pitch, an eye for vertical passing and a willingness to still get stuck in...

The traits you describe are the byproduct of coaching and positioning, not his actual attributes....

The worst part about Winks starting against United is the fact that he's a possession player. United's weakness is when they have the ball in their feet.

It's easy to say since we can't know for a fact, but Ndombele would have played such a different part with his creativity until he gasses, then Winks could have come in with the nature of the game.

The traits you describe are the byproduct of coaching and positioning, not his actual attributes....

I can't really remember him being that much of a marauding CM. For the last couple of years it's been Eriksen who's been doing that role. He's checked out know, but he really did run his bollocks off for last two seasons, picking up the ball and trying to drive it forward. Plus, we always had Dembele* to do that.

I don't think he has the skill set to do that anymore more. Coaching or otherwise. He is good at keeping an eye on those around him, finding space and maintaining possession as part of a 3. Just don't think we should be starting games with that mindset.

*I'm still maintaining that our greatest loss is not Poch, Eriksen or Levy's wallet - it's Dembele. He defined Poch's tenure.

So glad you decided to contribute to the discussion with something fresh and insightful..... Oh wait.

:pochrolleyes:

Oh ok then.

For ME, he's at his best when he acts as a metronome and keeps the ball ticking over when we're in a winning position. I think he's a very average player when the game is in the balance and he actually has to accomplish something dynamic.

Back
Top Bottom