Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Always love a Winks celebration pic...
EJl8TLAW4AA_SMT

Wish WE could see it more often.

Last edited:
In my view -he's been put in the wrong position for his skillset - for us and England - he is brilliant at taking the ball, turning and clipping or driving a pass forward. That's not the job of the defensive mid that he's had to play so much - so he seems boring because he sprays them left and right and it's frustrating to watch. I think that because he can do so much, various managers (ours of course) have put him in a role that suits them but doesn't suit him. Maybe also, what's going against him may be that formations at the moment don't call for a player bang in the middle of the park - which is where I see him.

Of course he's not going to blow anybody's socks off - but I remember going to watch Real Madrid for the first time years ago - and I was mesmerised by Zidane - not by his trics - but how the play seemed to follow around him. I still reckon Harry Winks can play that role. But to ask him to be the defensive blocker (Makelee) or the Number 10 (Dele) is not fair on him.

I'm very happy he's shown a bit of what he's capable of with this England match - but hope he'll be played to his strengths for us and England in the future.

So maybe we could reassign Eriksen to parking duty for West Ham and try Winks in that role.
Keeper
Defenders
Ndombele - Sissoko
LoCelso-Winks-Son
Kane

Well done to the Harrys (both of them). Can we please see more of the same in your other white shirt?

I've always thought that Winks MAY have more in him than simply a defensive screen role. On the back of yesterday's showing, against average opposition, then it may be borne out.

We need to be careful going overboard on the back of a single performance but the manager should consider playing him a little further forward (in the role that Sissoko was originally bought to fulfil). Maybe in the post Christmas FA Cup game(s)?

It also potentially frees up a DM position for Skipp?

Anyway Sissoko vs Rice and Noble - can't wait!

Winks better as an 8 than as a 6.

Who knew!?

Just played him in a more natural position, 8 in a CM3, not fucking 6 or CM2.

Not rocket science really.

Yep. All true.
Winks as 8 > Winks as 6

At the same time Winks at 8< Ndombele & Lo Celso at 8
And quite honestly Winks at 6 < Good enough 6 for our aspirations

Now he might be best option for 6 in our team now, but he is not good enough 6 for our team if we want to aim higher.
He might be good enough 8 for our team (if there would be proper 6 alongside him), yet there are better options at 8 in our team now.

So - like others have said it - a squad player. But rarely a starter.

Yep. All true.
Winks as 8 > Winks as 6

At the same time Winks at 8< Ndombele & Lo Celso at 8
And quite honestly Winks at 6 < Good enough 6 for our aspirations

Now he might be best option for 6 in our team now, but he is not good enough 6 for our team if we want to aim higher.
He might be good enough 8 for our team (if there would be proper 6 alongside him), yet there are better options at 8 in our team now.

So - like others have said it - a squad player. But rarely a starter.

I don’t disagree with any of that, in fact I’ve repeatedly said the same.

The trouble with that though is, do we trust Poch to use Lo Celso as an 8, and will Poch ever have the common sense to play NDombele and Lo Celso as 8’s with a proper 6 in between them in a 433.

The trouble with that though is, do we trust Poch to use Lo Celso as an 8, and will Poch ever have the common sense to play NDombele and Lo Celso as 8’s with a proper 6 in between them in a 433.

Seems a lot of fans see GLC on the right wing.... Not sure why..... Surely he's an 8 or a 10 depending on formation.

#8s: TN, GLC, HW, MS
#6s: ED, OS

Like any of them or not it should be pretty obvious what's in our ranks.

He won’t. Lord knows why.

He must think it too rigid, or failing to get the best out of Harry.

The trouble with that though is, do we trust Poch...

Let me stop you right here :D answer is "no" :D

I doubt he will use them like this. I think he does not understand that Winks is not a good nr 6 and we have no other good options in team for that position either.

Though if we'd play 4-3-3 like this, it would give much more flexibility and also more use for Winks. Against stronger sides we could use Ndombele + DM + Winks (as semi DM). But hey, I would not get carried away with such speculations until Poch holds the seat...

Back
Top Bottom