Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just popping in to say how much I fucking love Harry Winks. Can not wait to see him have a full season with a proper centre mid next to him.
Nothing pleases me more than seeing a proper Spurs supporter pulling on our shirt and making the first team, their enthusiasm is a joy to behold. He's such a nice kid too.

Absolutely no coincidence in my view that we conceded significantly more goals with him playing at DM instead of Dier.
He provides no defensive shield at all, and as he doesn't provide any attacking threat whatsoever, really think he is a luxury player that we don't need in starting line up.
He wouldn't get into any of the other Top 6 sides, other clubs fans that look at things from a neutral perspective don't rate him and see him as our weak link (and yes I am including our full backs)
Really think he is the new Lamela, where we have blinkered supporters that use intangibles to back up what he brings to team, because the numbers just don't add up at all.
Take Champions League final, in 75 minutes we had 0 shots on target and 2 shots in total in 75 mins, then took him off and we dominated from then on, creating numerous chances, because we didn't have him slowing us down. In my view that is no coincidence, he keeps possession but in the main just by receiving the ball and passing it back to player he receives it from, slowing us down totally, and taking no responsibility. But many say he was our best player in the game. Just cannot work it out, thought the days of appreciating sterile possession went with AVB.

Absolutely no coincidence in my view that we conceded significantly more goals with him playing at DM instead of Dier.
He provides no defensive shield at all, and as he doesn't provide any attacking threat whatsoever, really think he is a luxury player that we don't need in starting line up.
He wouldn't get into any of the other Top 6 sides, other clubs fans that look at things from a neutral perspective don't rate him and see him as our weak link (and yes I am including our full backs)
Really think he is the new Lamela, where we have blinkered supporters that use intangibles to back up what he brings to team, because the numbers just don't add up at all.
Take Champions League final, in 75 minutes we had 0 shots on target and 2 shots in total in 75 mins, then took him off and we dominated from then on, creating numerous chances, because we didn't have him slowing us down. In my view that is no coincidence, he keeps possession but in the main just by receiving the ball and passing it back to player he receives it from, slowing us down totally, and taking no responsibility. But many say he was our best player in the game. Just cannot work it out, thought the days of appreciating sterile possession went with AVB.

Yet you previously wrote this about Dier:

Before Hazard's goal

And after it

Before Hazard's goal- presses high, can't win the ball for the 5th time and commits a clear foul -> immediately turns to the referee to complain instead of preventing a fast free kick, then when it's too late jogs back until Hazard eventually scores.

After this, Dier is high up the pitch but Chelsea win the ball and the counterattack begins. It's clearly a 3v2 situation in front of our goal, yet all the way back he jogs just like he did before Hazard's goal. But wait, Kante is close to Dier and also joining the counterattack, so maybe Dier is marking him? No. Kante appears in our penalty box, with Dier 2 meters behind him, still not giving a fuck and letting Kante shoot/pass or whatever that was.

It doesn't matter if Dier could have prevented these situations if he had ran at full speed, hell even if he was as fast as Sonny, that's not the problem. The problem is his mentality. It doesn't matter how talented he is if he doesn't put enough effort. Dier doesn't fix his mistakes. And doesn't seem to be bothered by this. Which makes me wonder how doesn't that contradict the philosophy behind this team, known for its harsh training and high intensity play, a team in which passion and hard work are more valued than natural talent and skill? Look at Sissoko. And what about the excuse that we aren't buying anyone because it's hard to find players who "fit the system"? How does Dier fit Poch's work ethic? If right now he was playing for any other team and performing like he did today (and we all know this is not the first time), I highly doubt Tottenham would ever consider buying him.

Can you actually tell us which of our players you don't think are shit, because you seem to think they all are.

BriPelli...
You are so very wrong. Winks is an integral part of this spurs side under Poch.

1) Under Poch, we like to pass at the back and invite teams to press us.

2) Wink has a high degree of accuracy in passing and he always wanted the ball.

3) As such, Wink becomes an outlet for us to bypass the opposition press (aka counter pressing).

4) for counter pressing to work, we need to have (1) an excellent dribbler or (2) an excellent passer to thread through ball into large spaces behind opposition defence.

5) Poch tried to improvise Sissoko into (1). But our play became predictable when Winks was injured last season. Sissoko (while very much improved) still has many aspects of his game that was unpolished.

6) This season, with Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele, opposition will find it difficult to prepare against us now.

Are you seriously breaking the game down into Winks contributing towards "attack" and "defence"....think modern football is a bit more nuanced than that.

Guarantee almost any other team in the top 6 would love to sign Winks. Name one other home grown, deeplying technical controlling player who's played in a champions league final? Both Chelsea and Man City have spent 55m + signing players to fulfil a similar role in Jorginho and Rodri.

Look at the midfields who have been dominant in recent times .... the Spanish midfield with Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Xavi etc . The German midfield of Kroos, Ozil, Schweinsteiger. They're all rhythm and tempo players, they control the pace of the match and whilst Winks may not volley in 25 yarders every week, he controls the tempo of our play.

Pretty sure Modric was still playing in Zagreb at his age.

BriPelli...
You are so very wrong. Winks is an integral part of this spurs side under Poch.

1) Under Poch, we like to pass at the back and invite teams to press us.

2) Wink has a high degree of accuracy in passing and he always wanted the ball.

3) As such, Wink becomes an outlet for us to bypass the opposition press (aka counter pressing).

4) for counter pressing to work, we need to have (1) an excellent dribbler or (2) an excellent passer to thread through ball into large spaces behind opposition defence.

5) Poch tried to improvise Sissoko into (1). But our play became predictable when Winks was injured last season. Sissoko (while very much improved) still has many aspects of his game that was unpolished.

6) This season, with Winks, Sissoko and Ndombele, opposition will find it difficult to prepare against us now.
Winks (and Sissoko) do divide opinions. But I agree with you.

Teams press very well thesedays and Winks manage it better than others such as Dier, Wanyama and Sissoko. When being pressed, his ability to keep possession is so vital

He is always looking to play forward.

Am excited about the Winks-Ndombele-Sissoko combo too. Not the most creative but so hard to break down. Ndombele and Sissoko will be so useful at both end (defending and pressing), while Winks control possession.

It wasn't really him going off that made thd difference it was Eriksen coming on

And the change in formation.

Winks was one of our best players before he came off. Hopefully it isn't an injury and he just thought perhaps Sissoko's engine was better suited the later the game went on.

Back
Top Bottom