Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gary Neville - one of the few pundits I respect- reiterating what many of us have said here already. Wink is unique for an English player and has a high level of technical ability. For the style of football England want to play, the future English midfield has to be built around him.

Those Spurs fans that can’t see the ability of Winks seem to have no understanding of football. They probably thought Modric was a shit player because he didn’t score or assist either whereas Clint Dempsey was world class for his goalscoring exploits, esp at Fulham. Superficial understanding of football with no focus on technical ability is why the England national team has been in the dark ages up until very recently. With the FA finally adjusting kids football to focus on smaller pitches and technical skills, the future looks a lot better. Like Neville said, the team needs to be based around players like Winks and Foden and not donkeys like Henderson and Delph. ( Ok he didn’t mention the bits about Henderson and Delph being donkeys but Ive read between the lines)

NEVILLE:

“Look at the midfields who have been dominant in recent times in international football. The current French midfield - Matuidi, Pogba, Kante, with Griezmann dropping in. The Spanish midfield with Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Xavi. The German midfield of Kroos, Ozil, Schweinsteiger. They're all rhythm and tempo players, they control the pace of the match.

"Gareth doesn't have the players at his disposal. Harry Winks is a must moving forward; he was outstanding in the Champions League final, and looked a different level.”

Gary Neville - one of the few pundits I respect- reiterating what many of us have said here already. Wink is unique for an English player and has a high level of technical ability. For the style of football England want to play, the future English midfield has to be built around him.

Those Spurs fans that can’t see the ability of Winks seem to have no understanding of football. They probably thought Modric was a shit player because he didn’t score or assist either whereas Clint Dempsey was world class for his goalscoring exploits, esp at Fulham. Superficial understanding of football with no focus on technical ability is why the England national team has been in the dark ages up until very recently. With the FA finally adjusting kids football to focus on smaller pitches and technical skills, the future looks a lot better. Like Neville said, the team needs to be based around players like Winks and Foden and not donkeys like Henderson and Delph. ( Ok he didn’t mention the bits about Henderson and Delph being donkeys but Ive read between the lines)

NEVILLE:

“Look at the midfields who have been dominant in recent times in international football. The current French midfield - Matuidi, Pogba, Kante, with Griezmann dropping in. The Spanish midfield with Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Xavi. The German midfield of Kroos, Ozil, Schweinsteiger. They're all rhythm and tempo players, they control the pace of the match.

"Gareth doesn't have the players at his disposal. Harry Winks is a must moving forward; he was outstanding in the Champions League final, and looked a different level.”

Gary Neville....lol

How some on here cannot see how good he is is totally beyond me-I've had the same convos with people over the years about Modric and Dembele as well, the 'what does he actually do' argument lol
Takes all sorts but without sounding like a twat I suppose but theres definitely different tiers to understanding and watching the game.

I am so excited to see how he develops with a class player or two beside him in midfield-look at what he has had to work with in his real breakout season like!

I've said it before - he seems to be able to improve at each level he is tested at. You'll never know that until they get the chance. With Winks, I think it's down to his work ethic. I imagine he trains like an absolute demon, every day is an opportunity to get better, faster, fitter, cleverer.

Whenever he's been fit, and match-fit too, then I've never seen him outclassed. He's played really well against the likes of Madrid, against Barca (when others went AWOL), against Citeh in the CL QF, in the CL final when he hadnt played for weeks.

We miss him more than Kane, as stated by someone else. (not saying that he's better, it's that we haven't got other good options when he's missing).

Winks, Sanchez, Dele and Kane are the archetypal (young) modern footballers in their respective positions...

We'll do well to keep all four, as that's one hell of a spine to build a team around!

I love the kid. Proper ‘heartbeat’ player. Does the simple looking things really well, maintains tempo. We are lucky to have him...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but can’t really fathom the criticism he receives from our fan base.

England could’ve done with him receiving the ball into midfield the other night rather then Delph and Rice looking the other way

NEVILLE:

Always feel more confident play up from the back with Winks around

Much as I dislike West Ham fans... they also seem to recognise 'one of their own' when they see one...

Mark Noble may be a poor man's Harry Winks... but at least West Ham fans know when they're onto a good thing with him...

He's about as good as they're gonna get... AND a West Ham fan to boot...

We've got a Spurs supporting QUALITY midfield general in the making... SOME Spurs fans should be MORE than grateful for what we've got!

Much as I dislike West Ham fans... they also seem to recognise 'one of their own' when they see one...

Mark Noble may be a poor man's Harry Winks... but at least West Ham fans know when they're onto a good thing with him...

He's about as good as they're gonna get... AND a West Ham fan to boot...

We've got a Spurs supporting QUALITY midfield general in the making... SOME Spurs fans should be MORE than grateful for what we've got!
images

Back
Top Bottom