Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harry Winks - Stats 18/19

Up until this season Winks from what I can see had only completed a full 90 minutes 18 times with our first team. 18 full 90 minute matches before this season where he's largely been asked to play a vastly different role to what he should be due to injuries etc. Yes he's 23 but we simply have to give him time and a genuine chance to gain that much needed experience in the right areas of the pitch in order to grow

23 years old is fuck all.

Carrick was 25 when he left us and he STILL wasn't appreciated for another few years after. FFS, he started just 20 games for England. TWENTY!

Winks has been let down by the personnel available. A fully fit and functioning defensive midfielder behind him, Dele Alli next to him and wing backs who like to burst forward, in which he can feed the ball too quickly and accurately and I am sure some fans will understand why he's in the team.

...infact, I wouldn't count on it.

YoU cAn OnLy Be RaTeD iF yOu ScOrE gOaLs iN mIdFiEld

Last edited:
Genuinely think most of the idiots who don't rate Winks are the same morons who didn't rate Kane because he looked lumbered.

If you can't see what Winks does for this team (ALL ALONE!), then I don't think football or this new Tottenham team are for you.

It's the same people who didn't appreciate Carrick until he left and won every trophy possible and the same people who thought we wouldn't miss Modric.

Agree with the sentiment on Winks but realistically you can't compare his stature at the moment to Carrick and especially to Modric, who all but the most myopic realised was a fantastic midfielder for us long before he downed tools and fled to RM. I'm hopeful HW can still improve and grow with us, as we've been privy to some strong performances this season from him.

What is there not to love about this lad he's another one of our own ?

While everyone's entitled to their opinions I am definitely siding with those that see his character , adaptability, willingness to learn and most importantly his ability to put this all together with genuine technical talent as way above him simply being another young prospect that doesn't make it.

Others have made the point and it is mentioned by Jenas in the article posted that he would excel in a midfield 3. I think he can play both at the base with two attacking players ahead in games where teams will pri the bus or further forward if we buy a pure destroyer.

I think he'll remain pivotal in the coming rebuilding of the squad either way.

Think last few games he’s had to play even deeper and at times as the only defensive midfielder so credit to him for that. He’s the only midfielder like him in our club at the moment and I want him to keep playing and doing well.

Still think we need another CM to compete with him though.

Agree with the sentiment on Winks but realistically you can't compare his stature at the moment to Carrick and especially to Modric, who all but the most myopic realised was a fantastic midfielder for us long before he downed tools and fled to RM. I'm hopeful HW can still improve and grow with us, as we've been privy to some strong performances this season from him.

I wasn't comparing his stature to Modric or Carrick - I was merely mentioning them two in regards to two players who were underappreciated until they left. Carrick more so, simply because he was only here for 2 years, in which we went from a club lucky enough to get in the European places to a team that dreamed about qualifying for the Champions League.

It's the same with Winks - because he isn't scoring goals or assisting (neither things Modric or Carrick tended to do) - he isn't entirely appreciated for what he is being ASKED to do. Central midfield is the hardest position to play, especially in the Premier League and he does his role very very well, better than most in fact and our results tell you the same.

Worth noting that Modric had 4 years of consistent game time at Spurs, whilst also playing 5 years of competitive football before that and Carrick had 5 years of Premier League experience before playing for us.

Winks hasn't even started THIRTY league games for us, yet he's performing at the high level he is. It's incredible really that anyone could write him off.

I wasn't comparing his stature to Modric or Carrick - I was merely mentioning them two in regards to two players who were underappreciated until they left.

Probably more appropriate to compare him to a similar level player rather than two of our best midfielders of the last 20 years though, or else you will have the Winks is sh!t brigade on your back : )

FWIW I agree with the rest of your posts. I think he could impose himself more on games, I don't see his lack of goals as the big deal here tbh. Dembele was a masterful player but hardly ever scored.

Probably more appropriate to compare him to a similar level player rather than two of our best midfielders of the last 20 years though, or else you will have the Winks is sh!t brigade on your back : )

FWIW I agree with the rest of your posts. I think he could impose himself more on games, I don't see his lack of goals as the big deal here tbh. Dembele was a masterful player but hardly ever scored.

I wasn't comparing him to Modric and Carrick in terms of ability - but then again, the 'Winks are shit brigade' seem to either have a low IQ or not aware of how football works, so I could see how they could get confused.

It's hard for him to impose himself on games when he has to hold his own in midfield with no cover - he should be judged on what he's been asked to do and that judgement should be nothing less than excellent. Next season is a HUGE year for him, as it's very very likely we reinforce our midfield and he'll finally have support.

I think he can defiantly reach Carricks quality, obviously not Modric’s but for his age his passing is outstanding, he has also improved his defensive game and just look how bad we looked in midfield against Woolwich when he wasn’t there.

For me already one of the most important members of the team. Will still need to buy in the summer though to add depth.

If he didn't come off related to his hip injury it looked like it was probably his groin. Back after the international break I would have thought.

If he didn't come off related to his hip injury it looked like it was probably his groin. Back after the international break I would have thought.
Maybe a bit of both. He looked to not be 100% mobile during the game so he probably soldiered through the pain and ended up getting a groin strain as well.

Dier in, Winksy out and the injury circus continues

Jorginho does what? Busquets? Henderson? Saul? Koke? Witsel? Verratti?

Some of the names.. OFC most of them are better than Winks, but you don't understand football if you think it's all about goals, assists or rough tackles typical DM does.
The very best quote I've ever heard about this position (I'm about to twist it here as it was actually said about Busquets the player, BUT IMO you can apply it to that position and a number of players as a true litmus test) is:

“You watch the game, you don’t see Busquets. You watch Busquets, you see the whole game.”

For Spurs fans imparticular who don't get what players role is in the team, they need to follow a player, not the ball, even if it's for one game.

But this particular talent spotter thought Kane should be in the Championship so his issues are clearly with his own footballing nous rather than that of the player.

The very best quote I've ever heard about this position (I'm about to twist it here as it was actually said about Busquets the player, BUT IMO you can apply it to that position and a number of players as a true litmus test) is:

“You watch the game, you don’t see Busquets. You watch Busquets, you see the whole game.”
That quote sums up Dele and Winks quite well IMO. Dele especially.

Harry Winks - Stats 18/19

Up until this season Winks from what I can see had only completed a full 90 minutes 18 times with our first team. 18 full 90 minute matches before this season where he's largely been asked to play a vastly different role to what he should be due to injuries etc. Yes he's 23 but we simply have to give him time and a genuine chance to gain that much needed experience in the right areas of the pitch in order to grow

Edit. I've just checked. Up until the beginning of this season Winks had completed a full 90 minutes for us in the Premier League 7 times. 2 full 90 minutes his first season, 5 last season. How people don't think there is room for him to improve I genuinely don't know.

rarely have I ever seen a player who needs to improve more

He made 92 passes today with a completion rate of 97% ... that's exceptional

Eriksen 51 passes and only 71% successful ... we missed Dele

Yes, but they are all safe passes, either sideways or back. Whilst I don't rate Winks, I appreciate his energy and skill level. What drives me mad about him is that he won't take the occasional risk. I can understand that of a 19 year old who has just broken through, but Winks has his feet under that table now. He needs to offer the team more than just holding the ball up.

PlAyEr WhO pLaYs To KeEp PoSeSsIoN kEePs PoSeSsIoN.. SeLl HiM

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

Back
Top Bottom