Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When we brought Sissoko in, I thought the big positive is that we'd have some cover for Dembele at CM.

As it turns out, Poch has only been playing Sissoko on the wing so far (though this is in part to bed him in gently) and I've gotta say - against 'lesser' opposition, I think Winks could be superb rotation instead for that CM spot next to our holding midfielder.

Yes, it was against Gillingham, but his vision and passing was excellent. If he can resist getting pressed off the ball by Premier League opposition, then his time is coming.
Hell, I'd expect him to replace Dembele after around 75 minutes against Middlesborough.

If he can resist getting pressed off the ball

1. Needs to control his temptation to shoot from range. A few times tonight he was gearing himself up for a long 30 yard shot then thought better of it
  2. Needs to keep distance between him and a player pressing him in the prem, they're likely to out muscle him, forcing him to lose the ball in dangerous areas
  3. Needs to add a crossfield pass/long range passing to his game

Other than that I barely see any issues in his game. He's a little terrier.

He's fine at carrying but it isn't his main weapon imo. While moose takes 10 blokes on and beats them all on his own, winks plays one-twos to get past opponents. Different styles but both equally effective.

He's not far off that level tbh. Considering his age too...

Like others have said, Winks will be the next big thing from the academy imo.
I agree that he is going to be one hell of a footballer, but it's so hard to say who is going to go on to be the best the big thing.

Winks, CCV, Onomah, Edwards and even guys like KWP and Harrison have genuinely elite, top-tier PL potential and every one of them could end up the best of the bunch.

Exciting times.

Finally! It was only a matter of time before someone made a Winks highlights reel for the Gillingham match.

Some excellent direct passing on show there. What impressed me in the summer was his improving physique on top of those well known attributes such as passing und skills. He looks a very good player, was surprised that he didn't play more last season, but he looks more than ready for more involvement this year!

Promising!

jimmyriggle jimmyriggle eanN17 eanN17 I particularly liked this pass...

AVNeWIKfD7joc.gif

I am much, much more excited about Winks than I am Edwards at the moment. Edwards has huge potential but Winks has already shown he is ready in my view, he's got exceptional passing ability and vision. I really think he looks something special. It's Winks that everyone should be raving about.

I am much, much more excited about Winks than I am Edwards at the moment. Edwards has huge potential but Winks has already shown he is ready in my view, he's got exceptional passing ability and vision. I really think he looks something special. It's Winks that everyone should be raving about.

Agree about Winks, although I'm excited about Onomah, Winks, Edwards, Carter-Vickers and Walekr-Peters! There is a lot of promise coming through, and below these guys there are still more to come!

It's only natural considering Edwards position. It's the same with people raving over Messi but they should be raving about Xavi or Iniesta.

In the short term, I completely agree.

Edwards acting as a lightning rod for hype is a good thing. Let the others fly under the radar.

I fully imagine Winks will be getting regular time off the bench by the close of this season.

Dier and Dembele are questionable. Wanyama and Winks might actually be our pivot.
Noted. I just watched the pre-match press conference with Poch and I didn't realise Dier, Rose, and Dembele were all slightly uncertain for this match.
I'd rather save Dembele for Tuesday night if he's not feeling 100%.

And, of course, we must consider fatigue going into the Manchester City game next weekend.

It's only natural considering Edwards position. It's the same with people raving over Messi but they should be raving about Xavi or Iniesta.
That video montage of him reminded me of iniesta a lot. The quick feet and then perfectly waited, long passes. If he's even half as good as iniesta then he will be amazing

Back
Top Bottom