Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a bit of a cliche - but if he was German/Spanish and had broken into the first team of a top 4 Bundesliga/La Liga club from their youth ranks then we'd all be really excited to sign him.

Don't know about that - there are plenty of players in La Liga EXACTLY like him, literally dozens - yet if we signed them, you'd have a lot of people saying "WHO?" - it's great to have Winks at the club, because he's focused on improving. He is no where near the finished article and that's the promising thing.

I don't think he's even at the level of starting in big games for us, because right now he isn't a game changer or have the level to run a game, just basing that off the fact he hasn't bossed a game he's played in except Millwall, which were a League One team. He'll get there, and he'll take HUGE strides next season.

Winks set for extra-curricular work in bid to come back stronger 20 June 2017 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

WINKS SET FOR EXTRA-CURRICULAR WORK IN BID TO COME BACK STRONGER
Posted on 20 June 2017 - 14:58

Harry Winks has opened up on the season-ending ankle injury he suffered back in April, revealing that he’s using the off-season period to aid his quest to return to fitness for the new campaign.

winks_whl_730.jpg

The home-grown midfielder enjoyed a terrific breakthrough year in 2016-17, scoring on his first Premier League start in a five-goal thriller against West Ham, making his Champions League bow and playing 33 times before everything came to the cruellest of halts on April Fool’s Day.

With half-time approaching during our trip to Burnley, the 21-year-old went spinning off the pitch and damaged ankle ligaments. He wouldn’t play again before the end of the season.

Looking back on that afternoon at Turf Moor, Harry admitted: “As soon as I got the injury I knew it was quite serious. It was just my gut instinct and the pain I was in, it was something I’d never experienced before.

“I was there in the hospital, it was tough but it’s one of those things – I try not to think about that moment because it was a horrible day. Obviously the last few weeks of the season I had to miss and we had some big games as well – the FA Cup semi-final, the last game at the Lane, but when I look back on the season as a whole, I’m proud of myself, of what I achieved, in the sense that I played a lot of games and to achieve playing in the Champions League, FA Cup and to score in the Premier League, it was a great season for me.

“I’m really happy with that but most importantly, you can’t rest on that and I know that – I know I’ve got to keep working hard, keep improving. What’s happened has happened and the most important thing now is to kick on next season, forget about this season and look forward to improving and hopefully taking that step further.”

So how is Harry’s summer panning out as he works towards a return to action?

“I’m obviously still rehabbing and I’ll be in a good 10 days or so before everyone, just getting myself fit, testing my ankle and making sure it’s okay to go back into full training,” he explained.

“I’ve almost got a pre-season before a pre-season just to get myself fit so hopefully I can come back in the best shape I can possibly be in.”

Gotta love this kid...
Not only is he saying the right things... he sounds like he actually MEANS it.

He could be any of us talking... playing for the team he so clearly loves is the dream of ANY fan at ANY club. And he's OURS!
yes, Kane will get all the attention and plaudits 'cos of his goalscoring... but Winks has got all the hallmarks of a future Spurs legend.
Imagine the day where we have a truly homegrown Spurs spine coursing through our team :llorishuh: ...OK, defence, midfield and striker! They will not only compliment, but add to the young talent we have already.
We're we'll on our way to creating a dynasty....

Back
Top Bottom