Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just don’t think the centre midfield partnership of Sissoko and Winks is good enough. Got to be the weakest partnership we have had in years. Great squad players no doubt, but they are both not good enough to be starting week in week out. We need to desperately sign a top quality defensive midfielder and partner him with NDombele in the middle. Give NDombele the freedom to roam forward.

It’s not. It’s nowhere near good enough. There’s zero invention between the two. They’re not going to do anything surprising. They slow the game down and let the opposition easily get into their defensive position.

Just don’t think the centre midfield partnership of Sissoko and Winks is good enough. Got to be the weakest partnership we have had in years. Great squad players no doubt, but they are both not good enough to be starting week in week out. We need to desperately sign a top quality defensive midfielder and partner him with NDombele in the middle. Give NDombele the freedom to roam forward.
It’s not. It’s nowhere near good enough. There’s zero invention between the two. They’re not going to do anything surprising. They slow the game down and let the opposition easily get into their defensive position.

The way forward until we can sign anyone has to be with the reintroduction of Dier.
Either Sissoko, Dier, Ndombele in a three man midfield, or Ndombele and Dier in a two, with the possibility of using Sissoko, Winks, Wanyama and Skipp.

The fact we are are struggling there when we have a group of CMs like that is criminal and people can say what they fucking want, every single one of those players (bar Skipp too early) would make an impact and either starting or squad at any club in the PL.

But we just throw them in the fucking bin. Magic my fucking arse.

The way forward until we can sign anyone has to be with the reintroduction of Dier.
Either Sissoko, Dier, Ndombele in a three man midfield, or Ndombele and Dier in a two, with the possibility of using Sissoko, Winks, Wanyama and Skipp.

The fact we are are struggling there when we have a group of CMs like that is criminal and people can say what they fucking want, every single one of those players (bar Skipp too early) would make an impact and either starting or squad at any club in the PL.

But we just throw them in the fucking bin. Magic my fucking arse.

I think Dier is the right call. Not sure what condition he is in and he does bring his own problems (being slow). But he can play DM and knows how to position himself.

I do want Skipp to get a chance though.

It's a very unbalanced partnership. Both guys are more 8s/box to box midfielders than defensive midfielders. So we end up with little to no defensive cover for the backline if we play both at the same time. Both would do better if partnered with a pure DM.

Moose and Tanguy seemed to do well together but I'd still want a DM in front of the backline to act as a shield.

I think Dier is the right call. Not sure what condition he is in and he does bring his own problems (being slow). But he can play DM and knows how to position himself.

I do want Skipp to get a chance though.
His condition is definitely the issue, I actually feel a bit for Poch as he probably wants to start Dier but he just isn't at the races. He doesn't have an alternative so has to keep playing Winks who isn't a natural in that role. Unfortunately Dier isn't going to get sharper unless he plays so it's a catch 22.

His condition is definitely the issue, I actually feel a bit for Poch as he probably wants to start Dier but he just isn't at the races. He doesn't have an alternative so has to keep playing Winks who isn't a natural in that role. Unfortunately Dier isn't going to get sharper unless he plays so it's a catch 22.
It's mad they don't give him and a few others minutes in the U23 games.

Think Winks is ok, however when played in the middle alongside Sissoko they offer not a great deal going forward. This wouldn’t be so apparent if the likes of Dele and Eriksen were playing well. Think our midfield pair should be N’Dombele plus either Winks or Sissoko

Very good point about Dele and Eriksen offering a goal threat when Winks and Sissoko don't.

The issue is Dele and Eriksen aren't offering any kind of threat goal wise and haven't for some time now. Dele ain't scoring goals, Eriksen ain't even trying to score goals, Winks and Sissoko? You'll be lucky to get a goal between them each season and the same applied to Dembele.

Based on our starting XI who actually scores goals in an 11 man team? Sonny and Kane! To be a top team yet only two of your players can chip in with goals is shocking. More responsibility required and both Dele and Eriksen need to get dropped ASAP. As for Winks, he should get rotated with Sissoko and Ndombele should be our main man.

It's mad they don't give him and a few others minutes in the U23 games.
The only one that I can remember from the first team to have been given u23 minutes under Poch was Janssen. And that was when he was actively exiled from the first team and not given a squad number.

Seems like Poch utilizes the same principle that he uses for not sending out youth players on loan.

Not to pile more shit on the man but it's a mistake.

Very good point about Dele and Eriksen offering a goal threat when Winks and Sissoko don't.

The issue is Dele and Eriksen aren't offering any kind of threat goal wise and haven't for some time now. Dele ain't scoring goals, Eriksen ain't even trying to score goals, Winks and Sissoko? You'll be lucky to get a goal between them each season and the same applied to Dembele.

Based on our starting XI who actually scores goals in an 11 man team? Sonny and Kane! To be a top team yet only two of your players can chip in with goals is shocking. More responsibility required and both Dele and Eriksen need to get dropped ASAP. As for Winks, he should get rotated with Sissoko and Ndombele should be our main man.

You know Dele scored against Watford, right? And was our most consistent goal threat during that rubbish match.
I know everyone thinks Lucas needs to be in the team all the time, but he hasn't taken his chances at all well THIS season.

Eh I disagree a bit, I think Dele is showing signs of coming around and Lamela who you didn't include has also been scoring. We should expect some output form Lo Celso when he is up to speed as well. Eriksen, point taken, he's been terrible. Ndombele has actually been a fairly decent goal threat as well, I think we are OK with playing a Winks or Sissoko in the midfield. The problem is when they are both playing though.

When Winks scored the winner at Craven Cottage, he did say that Poch has tasked him with scoring more goals and getting assists. And now he’s playing him as a sort of six again. So the comments that Poch is moving him around unfairly are valid.

I just think, regardless of Poch’s shenanigans, Winks is a seven out of ten player, at most.

When Winks scored the winner at Craven Cottage, he did say that Poch has tasked him with scoring more goals and getting assists. And now he’s playing him as a sort of six again. So the comments that Poch is moving him around unfairly are valid.

I just think, regardless of Poch’s shenanigans, Winks is a seven out of ten player, at most.
I think Poch is mismanaging him a bit, probably out of necessity. It's clear he's not a holding midfielder to me. Is he a good box to box? Not sure, but he hasn't really gotten a chance to show it one way or another.

Always said I saw him as a squad player for us and nothing more. He’s a good option to have and should play cup games, but he’s never in our strongest Xl and Poch the mug doesn’t get that. We need a true DM if we’re serious about competing.

Back
Top Bottom