Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Harry was great v Soton and had a great 1st half but I was worried if he was physically able to complete 2 games. Spursidol Spursidol made the point of how tired the team would be after playing with 10 men for so long and I was particularly worried about Harry.
I am not blaming Harry for this defeat.

Harry was great v Soton and had a great 1st half but I was worried if he was physically able to complete 2 games. Spursidol Spursidol made the point of how tired the team would be after playing with 10 men for so long and I was particularly worried about Harry.
I am not blaming Harry for this defeat.

Yeah, totally agree. Certainly explains why we were fading in the last 20 minutes or so. Usually our strong point.

So glad this useless overrated justin bierber twat isnt playing today.

Guaranteed to win now.

What a silly comment, is he a DM, no but he is easily one of our best passers and plays his heart out. The club essentially has 3 number 8’s, Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks and therefore the team is unbalanced if they are all shoehorned in.

Do I think Dier is as good a footballer as Winks, no but he is a better defender positionally and adds better balance. We should play at least 1 DM.

What a silly comment, is he a DM, no but he is easily one of our best passers and plays his heart out. The club essentially has 3 number 8’s, Sissoko, Ndombele and Winks and therefore the team is unbalanced if they are all shoehorned in.

Do I think Dier is as good a footballer as Winks, no but he is a better defender positionally and adds better balance. We should play at least 1 DM.

Dier has many england caps. Winks can barely get into the squad

Thought he was poor today. He does one thing well - moving the ball across the midfield and keeping a good tempo.

But he has next to zero creativity. I think he’s quite limited.

Best thing was more of an England formation/selection point of view, we played a Ball player (Winks) with a more defensively minded player (Henderson), been calling for this for ages. We don’t need to have two non-baller holding players for 80% of the games we play.

I don’t care if it’s Dier, Stones, Henderson but it’s important to have Winks in there to play the ball. (Henderson isn’t a shit player, it’s more of a mindset than anything that’s the difference, reduce the mindset of two defensivley minded players and have just one).

He put up some fabulous numbers, sure against a pub side but you can only beat what's in front of you

Passes - 125 (1st)
Pass success 91% (6th)
Accurate passes 118 (1st)
Key passes 2 (=3rd)
Tackles 4 (1st)

Not sure why him and Kane both had to play 90 minutes when Rashford, Sterling and Barkley all got to sit out the last twenty ... Poch should be having a word.

and he finally got his goal last few mins thankfully at least!
I was cursing Southgate again for flogging kane unnecessarily at the time tho tbh.

Best thing was more of an England formation/selection point of view, we played a Ball player (Winks) with a more defensively minded player (Henderson), been calling for this for ages. We don’t need to have two non-baller holding players for 80% of the games we play.

I don’t care if it’s Dier, Stones, Henderson but it’s important to have Winks in there to play the ball. (Henderson isn’t a shit player, it’s more of a mindset than anything that’s the difference, reduce the mindset of two defensivley minded players and have just one).

Yet apparently Southgate is definitely not the answer and Poch is the best we can get

Yet apparently Southgate is definitely not the answer and Poch is the best we can get
You haven't heard anything negative from me about Southgate, just go to the England manager thread (or England thread) and I've supported his appointment from day one. And I continue to remain impressed with him, all be it frustrated with his insistence of not playing Winks (or another baller) next to a DM and instead playing with two out and out DM's.

I wouldn't go near him with a barge pole as a suggested replacement for Poch. I want to see evidence of his ability to improve players, something that I'm not expecting him to achieve while an International Manager (it's not in the remit). Managing players every day of the week compared to having them for a week or two a couple of times a year is night and day difference and something I don't recall as an identified ability when he was a Club Manager.

But as a club manager, his next job (if that's what he wants to do next) will require a steep learning curve, and probably a sacking before he is truly assimilated back into club management and during this time should be looked at for his ability to coach players and not just try to have them mimic the club teams managed by proven club managers like Poch, Guardiola and Klopp. The pressing drills, the philosophy and stylistc approach to the team, he will have to own and develop these, something he simply hasn't done or shown for many, many years.

Back
Top Bottom