Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Winks is a good player, he runs his knackers off every game and is a good passer of the ball. I don’t have any problem with him being our first choice midfielder. But playing him as the deepest player in the diamond, just doesn’t work.

He was consistently dragged out of position in the second half leaving the back four with no protection against 1v1 situations which was worsened by the likes of Aurier who didn't bother to track back. So Gnabry had a field day. Winks is a good player and can be useful at distributing the ball, but he needs to be paired with someone more defensive minded who stays back all the time. He's never gonna be a DM. I don't know how Poch didn't see it last night, even an untrained eye like mine could see the huge spaces between defence and midfield due to Winks being dragged out of position.

Come on, don't kill the guy for that game.
It is absolutely PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that he was played in the wrong position and given wrong instructions!

Why the f*ck do we play him as lowest of the CMs / in DM position?!? HE IS NOT A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (no matter how many times bus-conductor says he is). And we had a defensive midfielder on the bench. Why not use him to shield our defense?!?

But no, Poch has to stick to his fantasy world that has nothing to do with reality anymore.

If we throw
- Winks under the bus because he can't play DM
- Sanchez under the bus because he can't play RB
- Sissoko because he is not adequate person to take the shot
- Alli because he has not enough pace to be a winger
- Ndombele because he is not defensive minded

Then who will we have left at the end of the day?!?
It is managers task to pick a tactics+gameplan and players who suit into it. Poch is just blindly pushing square pegs into round holes making so many of our players looking worse then they are.

So either we ship out Winks, Sanchez, Sissoko, Alli on top of Eriksen, Toby, Jan (whose contract end) on top of Wanyama, Aurier and Rose who are just not good enough... then who we have left?!?!
Or could we maybe get in a manager who would assemble our starting XI based on their strenghts not to blind and stubborn belief?!?

Come on, don't kill the guy for that game.
It is absolutely PAINFULLY OBVIOUS that he was played in the wrong position and given wrong instructions!

Why the f*ck do we play him as lowest of the CMs / in DM position?!? HE IS NOT A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER (no matter how many times bus-conductor says he is). And we had a defensive midfielder on the bench. Why not use him to shield our defense?!?

But no, Poch has to stick to his fantasy world that has nothing to do with reality anymore.

If we throw
- Winks under the bus because he can't play DM
- Sanchez under the bus because he can't play RB
- Sissoko because he is not adequate person to take the shot
- Alli because he has not enough pace to be a winger
- Ndombele because he is not defensive minded

Then who will we have left at the end of the day?!?
It is managers task to pick a tactics+gameplan and players who suit into it. Poch is just blindly pushing square pegs into round holes making so many of our players looking worse then they are.

So either we ship out Winks, Sanchez, Sissoko, Alli on top of Eriksen, Toby, Jan (whose contract end) on top of Wanyama, Aurier and Rose who are just not good enough... then who we have left?!?!
Or could we maybe get in a manager who would assemble our starting XI based on their strenghts not to blind and stubborn belief?!?
If he can't play dm what can he play?? He can't make through passes consistently, doesn't create chances, never scores, can't dribble

If he can't play dm what can he play?? He can't make through passes consistently, doesn't create chances, never scores, can't dribble
He is liable to take as many as 8 touches before passing the ball. He shouldn't be taking more than 2. He is absolutely killing our tempo in possession. The only type of pass he is comfortable playing is short, and on the deck, typically non-progressive. He can't play balls over the top, he cannot reliably switch the play, he rarely breaks the lines-it's awful stuff.

He can play a role of tempo-controlling CM (don't know how to phrase it better). Basically he could be either substitute to Ndombele, or to be addition to him if we play with 3 CMs. IF THERE IS DM included as well. But not without it.

Rough night.

But as we all seem to know (except Poch) is that he’s not a CDM.

Can’t blame him failing in his role anymore than Sanchez at RB

Winks is not a good DM, he is not strong enough in the tackle, he doesn't sense where the danger is going to be, spends too much energy shadow chasing the ball around our third of the pitch

Winks is a no 8 but Poch is trying to use two players at CM who are 6/8 hybrids, rather than having a dedicated no 6 (pure DM) - so Winks is being retrained in the 6/8 role.

Likewise Ndomebele has not been a no.6 at Lyon, and is having to learn the 6/8 hybrid role, and whilst excellent at his no 8 type role is also struggling a little on some of the defensive stuff.

With a CM 2 against Bayern there was simply far too much ground to travel - hence both being taken off after about an hour - bith were fine for the first 30-40 minutes.

IMO (and I said this before the match), against a top team like Bayern we needed a CM3, and preferably Dier being the third CM as he can cover the defenders and share the workload in CM.

So IMO its a Poch decision to play a CM2 which backfired - didn't help that Aurier required more than usual cover and that with that player having been sent off after 30 mins at weekend, the players that played the full 90 minutes at weekend were pretty shattered after 45 mins v Bayern, and in particular the 2 CM's

Last edited:
they were on him in a flash, he was obviously identified as the player to press, either because they felt he could make things happen or would fold under pressure. Wasn't his best game last night but he did look to be the focus of their attentions.

Makes me feel, if I can see it why can't the manager?

they were on him in a flash, he was obviously identified as the player to press, either because they felt he could make things happen or would fold under pressure. Wasn't his best game last night but he did look to be the focus of their attentions.

Makes me feel, if I can see it why can't the manager?
Whenever they pressed, he gifted them the ball in some very dangerous positions. We need Dier or some other midfielder back to help Sissoko/Ndombele. This Winks experiment like the Mason experiment has been a huge failure.

I think hes a tidy footballer with some talent and a whole lot of love for Spurs, but he isnt a DM. Metronome kind of player that needs a proper disciplined DM behind / next to him. Our old 4231 would work with him if we had a mobile DM, a non-broken Wanyama for instance.

Whenever they pressed, he gifted them the ball in some very dangerous positions. We need Dier or some other midfielder back to help Sissoko/Ndombele. This Winks experiment like the Mason experiment has been a huge failure.

Please don’t start with the silly bollocks. He got dispossessed once, as did Sissoko, Ndombele, Rose, Vertonghen - Aurier twice.

Bayern just pressed much better than we did.

Like Dier would be have been any better receiving the ball with two men up his arse 5 yards outside our box?

We need a proper 6, have done for a long time. Dier isn’t one.

Please don’t start with the silly bollocks. He got dispossessed once, as did Sissoko, Ndombele, Rose, Vertonghen - Aurier twice.

Like Dier would be have been any better receiving the ball with two men up his arse 5 yards outside our box?

I agree, Dier is not optimal, but I am at the point where we kind of have to.

Either we bring on a 442 and have a Sissoko and Ndombele in the middle and Lamela an Lucas on the wings or we play three or two in the mid and Dier is one of those options. With our weak as fuck FB play, we need some extra cover and although Dier is not ideal, he or Foyth are our only options.

What do you mean dispossessed once. He kept passing the ball to them repeatedly.

Winks has had numerous good games this season, so slating his only season based on this particular game is knee-jerking once again.

If we're gonna play three in the middle, I'd like to see Dier holding with Winks and Ndombele either side. It will bring out more of Winks' strengths and give us the cover our defence desperately needs. If we're not gonna buy a new DM, we can only hope Dier rediscovers his form from a couple of years ago.

Winks has had numerous good games this season, so slating his only season based on this particular game is knee-jerking once again.

If we're gonna play three in the middle, I'd like to see Dier holding with Winks and Ndombele either side. It will bring out more of Winks' strengths and give us the cover our defence desperately needs. If we're not gonna buy a new DM, we can only hope Dier rediscovers his form from a couple of years ago.
How convenient that everything you happen to disagree with is a silly, 'kneejerk' reaction, like our team underperforming for 10 months straight...

I love Harry, and yes it may be through rose-tinted glasses because he so obviously loves Spurs and I want him to succeed so much. But yesterday was painful to watch, he looked like a little boy thrown into the lion's den, lost count how many times he lost the ball or made a wayward pass. I hope the experience doesn't ruin his confidence, as I still believe he can make a valuable contribution to this team, especially if he is played in a position that suits him best.

Back
Top Bottom