Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, at the risk of sounding 'silly', who have we added?

Walker left - replaced by Trippier, then Aurier.

Dembele left - still not replaced

Llorente left - ditto.

Add in the catastrophic declines of Dier, Dele and Eriksen. I'm struggling to see where the building is.

Trippier was one of our best players, providing many goal assists.

Dembele replaced by Sissoko and now Ndombele.

Dier didn't decline, how was unwell and missed a season of football. He will return to form.

Eriksen was ourbest player last season and involved directly in 1in 3 of our goals. (that's a lot).

"stellar, club-changing signings" = massive movement of the goal posts on your part.
Sorry, no movement on my part. You quoted Wanyama, Sanchez and Lucas as quality signings. They're not. Wanyama shone for about two seasons at most. Sanchez and Lucas have been around for a couple of years and have hardly set the team alight.

I was expecting some signings rather than two windows when we brought no-one in.

I'd be very interested to see how Rodgers manages Leicester (a team close to where we were five years ago in terms of potential). I lay money he'll bring in 2/3 signings every window to reinforce, just as we should.

Instead, we are faced with turning over virtually every first team player (barring Kane who will probably be off to somewhere he can win things at).

Dejected... Yes. Any Spurs fan watching us over the New Year and yesterday should be.

I can see very few chinks of light.

Sorry, no movement on my part. You quoted Wanyama, Sanchez and Lucas as quality signings.

No; stop faking the 'news'..... I named them as further evidence of us attempting to improve our squad.

You accused us of ignoring the need to do so for FIVE YEARS.

Evidently you're not prepared to stand by your original statement.... I don't blame you.... It was silly.

I didn't say sissoko was a good replacement!!

But the club did invest 30m and 100k a week on a French international
This is spiralling off into the realms of fantasy!

So, in your book, a satisfactory replacement for Dembele would have been Boris Johnson on the basis that he has two legs and can breathe?

Dembele still hasn't been replaced. Certainly not by Sissoko. The jury's out as to whether Ndombele, lo Celso or Fernandes are replacements.

As for Dier...

You accused us of ignoring the need to do so for FIVE YEARS.
err, because we did ignore the need to re-inforce for FIVE YEARS. I asked who we'd recruited (27 you said) and noted that Wanayama, Sanchez and Lucas were 'successful' signings. They weren't.

The 'FIVE YEARS' refers to a time when we had a young team with potential (about FIVE YEARS ago). We did nothing for two windows on the bounce when we should have. That is the basis of what I was saying. Even those we have purchased in those FIVE YEARS have turned out to underwhelming.

Will you please stop twisting what others say to fit your bizarre versions of reality.

err, because we did ignore the need to re-inforce for FIVE YEARS. I asked who we'd recruited (27 you said) and noted that Wanayama, Sanchez and Lucas were 'successful' signings. They weren't.

The 'FIVE YEARS' refers to a time when we had a young team with potential (about FIVE YEARS ago). We did nothing for two windows on the bounce when we should have. That is the basis of what I was saying. Even those we have purchased in those FIVE YEARS have turned out to underwhelming.

Will you please stop twisting what others say to fit your bizarre versions of reality.

Bore off, you fraud.

This is spiralling off into the realms of fantasy!

So, in your book, a satisfactory replacement for Dembele would have been Boris Johnson on the basis that he has two legs and can breathe?

Dembele still hasn't been replaced. Certainly not by Sissoko. The jury's out as to whether Ndombele, lo Celso or Fernandes are replacements.

As for Dier...

Your original comment was 'Well, at the risk of sounding 'silly', who have we added? ' and then you stated that Dembele hadn't been replaced.

Sissoko was purchased to play midfield and cover for Dembele - which he did when Dembele left and was one of our best players last season. Was he as good as Dembele? - hell no; but find me another player in the transfer market that is.

Lets look at the last 5 years of midfield. Have we improved?

OLD: Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli, Holtby, Caroll, Onomah, Wanyama, Dier

NOW: Winks (academy), Skipp (academy), Ndombele, Sissoko, Fernandes, Wanyama, Dier

The "headline" stat I'm seeing everywhere is that this is the first time that Spurs have failed to score in three consecutive league games since the end of 2013 (just before Kane burst onto the scene). Although interesting and not particularly flattering, three games is also a terrible sample size. Those three goalless games could've occurred with reasonable probability at any time through shitty luck even with Kane (the probability would definitely be slightly reduced but maybe not to statistical significance).

The other stat I'm seeing is Spurs' record in the last six (seems to be league) games without Kane: W0 D3 L3. I don't like arbitrary, selection-biased cut-offs designed to generate maximally sensational stats but if you stretch it out to a round ten, you still get a pretty terrible W2 D3 L5.

If you count all competitions and go back 17 games without Kane - which is as much as I could be bothered to calculate manually - you get W4 D4 L9. That's the kind of sample size from which you can infer legitimate trends and patterns.

My question is: when do Spurs get better without Kane? I've been told by several people that this should be happening but it's not.

(And for that matter: why the fuck are a bunch of English people on Twitter happy that some random doctor quoted by trashy tabloids says Kane "might" miss the Euros? England supporters have even less reason to think we're better without him than Spurs' do. These kids think we failed to reach a WC final because of Kane when the reality is that we wouldn't have made a WC semifinal without him. Fuck, there are some total dangers out there in this world.)

Last edited:
Your original comment was 'Well, at the risk of sounding 'silly', who have we added? ' and then you stated that Dembele hadn't been replaced.

Sissoko was purchased to play midfield and cover for Dembele - which he did when Dembele left and was one of our best players last season. Was he as good as Dembele? - hell no; but find me another player in the transfer market that is.

Lets look at the last 5 years of midfield. Have we improved?

OLD: Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Stambouli, Holtby, Caroll, Onomah, Wanyama, Dier

NOW: Winks (academy), Skipp (academy), Ndombele, Sissoko, Fernandes, Wanyama, Dier
If you think Sissoko was bought to replace Dembele, then you need to seek help. Sissoko at Newcastle and for France was a winger (at best an attacking midfielder). In no way shape of form was he a replacement for Dembele - who has still not been replaced (as I said the jury's out on Ndombele, Lo Celso and Fernandes)

Your 'old' list includes players that left years ago. Your 'new' includes a loanee from last Thursday! It's rather like saying the replacement for Danny Blanchflower was Ryan Mason. Ndombele and Lo Celso were acquired last summer.

Your 'new' list includes two Academy players.

My point is (that you and your mate Airfixx) fail to grasp is that when we were at our strongest, we failed to reinforce (over and over again). 2 or 3 players EVERY transfer window.

It's quite simple. Now get a grip! Sissoko replaced Dembele...

Kane won't risk himself for 2-3 games end of season and will simply aim for the Euros

Safe to say he won't play again this season - absolute disaster

Kane won't risk himself for 2-3 games end of season and will simply aim for the Euros

Safe to say he won't play again this season - absolute disaster

I actually think the opposite - he will be desperate to get some game time before the tournament.

We need, for once, to do the right thing and look after him.

If you think Sissoko was bought to replace Dembele, then you need to seek help. Sissoko at Newcastle and for France was a winger (at best an attacking midfielder). In no way shape of form was he a replacement for Dembele - who has still not been replaced (as I said the jury's out on Ndombele, Lo Celso and Fernandes)

Your 'old' list includes players that left years ago. Your 'new' includes a loanee from last Thursday! It's rather like saying the replacement for Danny Blanchflower was Ryan Mason. Ndombele and Lo Celso were acquired last summer.

Your 'new' list includes two Academy players.

My point is (that you and your mate Airfixx) fail to grasp is that when we were at our strongest, we failed to reinforce (over and over again). 2 or 3 players EVERY transfer window.

It's quite simple. Now get a grip! Sissoko replaced Dembele...

You're a liar... Keep me out of it.

Back
Top Bottom