Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It wasn't like he was lighting the place up. His last 5 games played, he scored 2 goals. 1 was a pen against Norwich. So 1 goal against Brighton from open play in those 5 games. Not exactly breathtaking.

yes, need to put everything in perspective... doubt the results in recent games without kane would be much different with kane playing to be honest. also, we're missing sissoko and ndombele right now. it's not all about kane.

Even when Kane plays and is ineffective,he still is a focal point of which Son, Lamela ,Lucus ect can integrate with.
Kane creates space for others and its returned by movement by deeper players shifting up the pitch at speed.
Our trouble over the years have been when Kane isnt playing well there is no replacement anywhere good enough to come on and change the game. Kane and Spurs are the victims of Kane and Spurs success in many ways, so maybe spending a shit load of money on a very good striker to challenge Kane could be the answer..but it could also backfire.

Probably not worth £200 mill now?..
So Real, Barca, PSG, Juve, City etc etc can now pick him up for £80m. He could go to somewhere where he'll win something rather than Europa league campaigns and scrapping it out with the likes of Everton and West Ham.

It's still our loss!

We turned down five years ago the opportunity to build a team around Kane, Lloris, Eriksen, Son, Dele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose but deliberately decided to ignore the opportunity.

5 years on Kane is probably looking at the state of the current team and thinking "Hmm".

So Real, Barca, PSG, Juve, City etc etc can now pick him up for £80m. He could go to somewhere where he'll win something rather than Europa league campaigns and scrapping it out with the likes of Everton and West Ham.

It's still our loss!

We turned down five years ago the opportunity to build a team around Kane, Lloris, Eriksen, Son, Dele, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose but deliberately decided to ignore the opportunity.

5 years on Kane is probably looking at the state of the current team and thinking "Hmm".

Isnt that in fact the team we actually did build around him 5 years ago? .....The team that's now on the decline?

:kanehand:

Isnt that in fact the team we actually did build around him 5 years ago? .....The team that's now on the decline?

:kanehand:
Yes, the team that we pointedly refused to re-inforce (Dembele, Llorente anyone?) over several windows.

Instead we got signings such as Janssen, Nkoudou, N'jie, Aurier and increasingly Lucas Moura, and I'm staring to think maybe even Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon (who have been injured and/or underwhelming)?

We're now pinning our hope on a loanee, Fernandes!

Don't worry Jack Clarke has been recalled from Leeds!

Yes, the team that we pointedly refused to re-inforce (Dembele, Llorente anyone?) over several windows.

Instead we got signings such as Janssen, Nkoudou, N'jie, Aurier and increasingly Lucas Moura, and I'm staring to think maybe even Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon (who have been injured and/or underwhelming)?

We're now pinning our hope on a loanee, Fernandes!

Don't worry Jack Clarke has been recalled from Leeds!

Please spare me all that jive.... You said we didn't build a team around Kane 5 years ago.... That's bollocks.

Please spare me all that jive....
No idea what you're talking about. Please explain in English.
Five years ago we had a core of a team (in their early/mid 20s) to build on. We don't any more.
We have a shiny stadium and world class training facilities, but a team that is troubled by Watford, Southampton, Norwwich, Brighton, Middlesborough etc etc.

No idea what you're talking about. Please explain in English.
Five years ago we had a core of a team (in their early/mid 20s) to build on. We don't any more.
We have a shiny stadium and world class training facilities, but a team that is troubled by Watford, Southampton, Middlesborough etc etc.

Stop 'sound biting' and just own your original dumb statement.

Which part of the statement is 'dumb'.

From my perspective it's all factual.

For starters, Toby, Son & Dele were part of us 'building' a team around the core of quality that Poch inherited 5 years ago.

To say we've ignored the need to add to that for the last 5 years is silly (being polite here).

For starters, Toby, Son & Dele were part 'building' of the team we built around the core of quality that Poch inherited 5 years ago.

To say we've ignored the need to add to that for the last 5 years is silly (being polite here).
Well, at the risk of sounding 'silly', who have we added?

Walker left - replaced by Trippier, then Aurier.

Dembele left - still not replaced

Llorente left - ditto.

Add in the catastrophic declines of Dier, Dele and Eriksen. I'm struggling to see where the building is.

Well, at the risk of sounding 'silly', who have we added?

Toby, Dele & Son for a start..... Wanyama, Lucas, Sanchez etc. Get your calendar out; think of your "5 years comment" and it should become a bit clearer.

Poch brought in 27 players in total apparently. To say we ignored our squad for 5 years is indeed silly.

Alderweireld and Son joined in the summer of 2015, Dele, early 2015 - just outside my 'five year' statement. Would it make it any better if I changed that to '4 years'?

This isn't about calendar dates, the point I'm making is that we've not re-inforced from the core of a very good, young team with potential, citing 'stadium' as the reason.

Pochettino may have brought in 27 players (I can't be bothered to check) but how many are still with us, ever played for the first team, or were duds?

You're citing Wanyama, Lucas and Sanchez as stellar, club-changing signings? Well our respective bars are set at very different heights! How do you explain Janssen, Nkoudou, Aurier etc?

Alderweireld and Son joined in the summer of 2015, Dele, early 2015 - just outside my 'five year' statement. Would it make it any better if I changed that to '4 years'?

Not really; it would just be highly selective on your part as whether you like it or not they represent us adding to the pre-existing core that Poch inherited.

Their signings constitute part of the fabled "project".

The point I'm making is that we've not re-inforced from the core of a very good, young team with potential, citing 'stadium' as the reason.

Pochettino may have brought in 27 players (I can't be bothered to check) but how many are still with us, ever played for the first team, or were duds?

You're citing Wanyama, Lucas and Sanchez as stellar, club-changing signings? Well our respective bars are set at very different heights! How do you explain Janssen, Nkoudou, Aurier etc?

Wanyama was regarded as having improved us massively.... Sanchez was an expensive player seen as future world-beater... Lucas represented a move for quality depth to upgrade on a player like Njie or GKN who didnt live up to the anticipated level.

"stellar, club-changing signings" = massive movement of the goal posts on your part.

If you're gonna heavily revise your original claim then similarly I can just as easily revise my retort.....

I'll say this tho; if you were anticipating a stream of big money, "stellar" signings during the stadium build it's no wonder you're so dejected.

Back
Top Bottom