Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The one positive note of todays game. Didn't look to be effected by his injury and seemed to a have a good burst of pace in him. One for the goal and another when he got through on the keeper to see the keeper smother it after his first touch.

Compared to when he returned after his last lengthy lay off when he looked off the pace for awhile it's a good sign.

90 mins under his belt before chavs and Woolwich can only be a good thing.

Didn't look like he had been away for over a month.

Shame we lost on his return though after winning 4 on the bounce without him.

I feel like, when Harry comes back it has an impact on how Son plays, is that just me?

Son seems less dynamic because Harry is taking up a lot of different positions and it impacts how Son plays.

We need to find a way to have them both playing but not getting in the way of each other.

I feel like, when Harry comes back it has an impact on how Son plays, is that just me?

Son seems less dynamic because Harry is taking up a lot of different positions and it impacts how Son plays.

We need to find a way to have them both playing but not getting in the way of each other.

Another striker is always going to step up when another one is out (which Son has done).

But we can't forget the form Son was on before Kane's injury, in the previous 9 games before Kanes injury:

Played: 9
Goals: 8
Assists: 4

It was just a bad day at the office for him today - Burnley having a lot of men behind the ball didn't help, that's for sure. I was a bit surprised that Son didn't shoot more though, especially from distance considering his ability, he only had 1 shot today

Another striker is always going to step up when another one is out (which Son has done).

But we can't forget the form Son was on before Kane's injury, in the previous 9 games before Kanes injury:

It was just a bad day at the office for him today - Burnley having a lot of men behind the ball didn't help, that's for sure. I was a bit surprised that Son didn't shoot more though, especially from distance considering his ability, he only had 1 shot today

I actually think that Poch made a few mistakes in terms of subs as well, after Kane had scored to make it 1-1.

Taking Winks off was a mistake and I do believe that Kane, not Son, should have been subbed off as Son in his current form has earned the right to stay on and try to win the game for us.

I think Moura for Kane and Llorente for Foyth whilst pushing Llorente up top and having Son in behind him would have been more effective.

That way Winks is still on the pitch providing defensive cover.

I am not the manager however and I am probably wrong in my assessment, it’s easy to say after the fact what should and should not have happened.

But I do truly believe Winks should have stayed on.

I actually think that Poch made a few mistakes in terms of subs as well, after Kane had scored to make it 1-1.

Taking Winks off was a mistake and I do believe that Kane, not Son, should have been subbed off as Son in his current form has earned the right to stay on and try to win the game for us.

I think Moura for Kane and Llorente for Foyth whilst pushing Llorente up top and having Son in behind him would have been more effective.

That way Winks is still on the pitch providing defensive cover.

I am not the manager however and I am probably wrong in my assessment, it’s easy to say after the fact what should and should not have happened.

But I do truly believe Winks should have stayed on.

To be fair, Winks was subbed off before we even equalised - but yes, Pochettinos subs were just puzzling. It was like he was playing Football Manager and decided to just throw on every attacking option possible in Llorente, Lamela and Lucas to try and get something from the game.

Problem was, by bring in Llorente on meant we needed to cross the ball and crossing the ball against Burnley is simply playing to their strengths.

I'd have kept Kane and Son on but Lucas should have been the first sub on and he should have come on for Foyth and we should have gone to a 433. That would have continued to give us control in midfield but also allowed us pace either side of Kane.

It was his "off-day" for sure but you can't really blame him for getting only a few or no shots in. This team almost always had been played around Kane. You can notice in today's game that everyone, including Son, was trying to create a chance for Kane. I'd rather see Son make some risky shots though.

Hey guys, just a random Korean dude here. My English is not that great but I'll try my best to express what I think about Kane. Kane is a fine striker and there is no doubt about that. However, I do think he's very greedy when it comes to scoring a goal. The whole players are playing as if it's for him not for the team which is wrong. I know he had been a top scorer for last few seasons but looking at his stats, especially how many time he attempts to shoots, is not impressive. That's why a lot of Korean people think Kane is not or can't be one of the best strikers in the world. He's just too selfish and greedy. No hate for him just my opinion. Thank you.

Kane scored, but his presence changed the whole dynamics of our play. Poch gets a poor rating from me for bowing down to internal politics and change a winning tempo.

Someone said Kane's performance was the one positive during the press conference to which Poch answered and I quote: "That shows that the most important thing is the collective. We won with other players. You can win or you can lose."

So he understands, that the team without Kane was not necessarily better in terms of quality but we won games and are no longer are the "Harry Kane team" We should have won with or without Kane. The team as a whole failed us.

They all seemed to think they could rely on Harry for goals. Or their job was just to provide chances for him. But Harry was often tracking back deeper so when there was no one near or in the box but themselves the first thing they seemed to check was where Harry was. For God's sake. I don't think Son attempted more than 2 shots the whole game. No shots from outside the box. How dreadful.

Poch will figure something out. Kane is our best player and always produces but we should try to outgrow that Harry Kane team mentality. It's not sustainable for us.

It ia little more than just a bad day at the office for Son not being effective. Rose had about 5 times he could passed to Son or dribble down for cross. I think Rose passed to Son maybe 1 time out of the 5 ? Can't be doing too much when you never get the ball. Why did Rose not pass to Son? Probably part due to the game instruction from Poch because he made the decision to start Kane and wanted it to work. It didn't.

Just posted something similar in the Burnley match thread, but here's my take on E & S's anonymity yesterday...

How would you feel if the past month you were winning games and the formation was clearly working w/ S & FL up top, but then as soon as K comes back, the gaffer relegates you back into supporting role to help K score? Is that really a way to win games?? Change what was clearly working just b/c your star players should be given the spotlight upon his return?

I obviously don't know for sure whether E&S wanted to screw over Poch for the sh*t formation against Burnley, but it's certainly not a way to treat your players who've been contributing big time in really important matches...

and to those people who say E&S were handing the ball off to K for K to do all the work and not being more dynamic as they've been the last month, do you actually think that was their choice/decision or in their control? anyone can see the gaffer's vision for the burnley match was to make K have a hero's welcome by making lots of shots and that the win should be on K's shoulders... clearly that plan went to sh*t b/c 1) he underestimated Burnley, 2) he overestimated K's ability, and 3) he didn't give due credit to players who were performing spectacularly w/out K the last few weeks.

Like I have posted before, Kane should've made a transition into the team as a sub. It was a complete change for the entire team at such an important game suddenly. I think most of us expected him to play maybe 20-30min in place of Llorente. At this point, I don't know if we have no proper strategy against teams like Wolves/Burnley or Kane/Son is working against defensive teams.

Just posted something similar in the Burnley match thread, but here's my take on E & S's anonymity yesterday...

How would you feel if the past month you were winning games and the formation was clearly working w/ S & FL up top, but then as soon as K comes back, the gaffer relegates you back into supporting role to help K score? Is that really a way to win games?? Change what was clearly working just b/c your star players should be given the spotlight upon his return?

I obviously don't know for sure whether E&S wanted to screw over Poch for the sh*t formation against Burnley, but it's certainly not a way to treat your players who've been contributing big time in really important matches...

and to those people who say E&S were handing the ball off to K for K to do all the work and not being more dynamic as they've been the last month, do you actually think that was their choice/decision or in their control? anyone can see the gaffer's vision for the burnley match was to make K have a hero's welcome by making lots of shots and that the win should be on K's shoulders... clearly that plan went to sh*t b/c 1) he underestimated Burnley, 2) he overestimated K's ability, and 3) he didn't give due credit to players who were performing spectacularly w/out K the last few weeks.
In a way I disagree but I see where you’re coming from as well.

I disagree because I think Kane was the only impactful outfield player which shows how great of an individual player he is. Also, it’s not like we were playing great football while Kane was gone either, we just constantly were able to grind out wins near the end of matches. Imo, 2nd of Dortmund was the time I thought we looked brillant. I believe Totti mentioned in the previous page, Son’s stats from however many games to Kane’s injury were brillant so it’s like they’re incapable of playing well up front together.

What I will agree with, in the last 60mins, having seen how well Burnley were setup defensively we reverted to “The Harry Kane Team”, where we tried forcing everything to Kane. We missed the ‘erratic’ Sonny yesterday, the guy who can be frustrating with his questionable shots but at the end (like the last few weeks) comes up with a goal. I knew it wasn’t his day when he had gotten away from the Burnley player after a bad touch, had acres of space in front but elected to pass into the box instead of getting a shot off.

I agree with you on that we should've probably subbed Kane on later in the second half instead of starting him but as I've said earlier the reason why we lost seemed to have more to do with how we were set up which made Harry's integration into the team made a lot harder.

I don't think Eriksen and Son were actively trying to sabotage the game in retaliation. But I think their mentality regressed a bit and felt less responsibility for sure. Compare Son from the last few games, who seemed to think that everything was on his shoulders, to Son during the Burnley game. He didn't take a shot often enough.
Eriksen, well he hasn't been in form quite some time. Then he moved down to our midfield to work more defensively which we know, is not the best way to play him, not against a physical team like Burnley.

So I think it's just accumulation of everything gone wrong, from how we were set up to Poch's choice of subs. But this Harry Kane mentality and loss of chemistry on the forward line definitely played a factor a bit, but it wasn't the main reason or the only reason why we lost.

Some people were criticizing Poch for bowing down to the pressure and starting Kane but if he was indeed bowing down to the pressure, he would've started Kane in the CL game v. Dortmund as Poch said Kane was already feeling ready that time. I think he simply made the wrong decision because that's what he thought was the best way to go. He obviously took this game quite seriously and was quite nervous about it.

His impatience showed when he started making odd subs, uncharacteristically for him and it went downhill from there. Our players, similarly, didn't seem to know what was going on. Son was stuck in tight alleys, barely any service to him, the few times he dribbled into the box, he either tried to pass it to Kane or when Kane wasn't there he just passed backwards. Our wingbacks, were the main culprit in my opinion, who just kept on hoofing the ball back to Burnley players. Those godawful crosses. Compare them to Verts' fantastic crosses from our last game.

Then there were Winks and Sissoko. I like them both but they aren't creative type players, let's be honest.
Basically, we lacked pace, creative outlets - not from our midfield nor from our wingbacks, no control, no chemistry, we also had regressed mentality, a liability in our defense in Foyth. The list goes on....

IF we set up the team with Llorente and Son up then I think we would've started the first half with a much faster tempo with counter attacks. We wasted the first half at such a slow tempo and eventually played into their hands.

Hey guys, just a random Korean dude here. My English is not that great but I'll try my best to express what I think about Kane. Kane is a fine striker and there is no doubt about that. However, I do think he's very greedy when it comes to scoring a goal. The whole players are playing as if it's for him not for the team which is wrong. I know he had been a top scorer for last few seasons but looking at his stats, especially how many time he attempts to shoots, is not impressive. That's why a lot of Korean people think Kane is not or can't be one of the best strikers in the world. He's just too selfish and greedy. No hate for him just my opinion. Thank you.
Your English is better than Scott.

Welcome.

Back
Top Bottom