Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jesus, somehow I missed the super slow-mo that shows that Kane's "miss" was actually an amazing save from the keeper. However, I doubt it'll shut up the Liverpool and Man U trolls who seem intent to slag him off.

Have fun in your echo chamber!
I am sorry but Kane is overrated: 3 goals against the mighty Panama (probably the worst team ever to be at a world cup), 2 goals against mighty Tunisia and one goal against Columbia. Four of those were on penalties and one was a shot which rikocheted off Kane's ass and was credited to him. In the league he has scored only four(!) goals against the other top 6 teams, three of which came against Liverpool. That is not the hallmark of a top class striker. Top class strikers turn up on the big occasions. Kane almost never does. Take Eriksen away and Kane will become invisible. Kane is GOOD but NOT top class.

(Putting on my asbestos long johns and flak vest)

Ok this is going to be a long one so apologies in advance.

Over the past 4 Premier League seasons since Kane come onto the scene he hasn't scored just 4 goals against top six teams, he's scored 19. 5 against Liverpool, 7 against Woolwich,1 vs Man U, 4 against Chelsea and 2 against Man City. 19 goals scored against top 6 teams. Where did you get 4 from? You've got your numbers completely wrong when it comes to big game goals. Harry has also scored 9 goals in 10 Champions League matches, chipping in against teams like Dortmund & Juventus. Yet again more big game goals.

It's also worth pointing out that without Kane's goals against Tunisia, both from open play we wouldn't have made it out of the group stages as things stood. Without getting out of the group stages who knows what state our team would be in now because of the media how hard it would be for Gareth to pick them back up or if Southgate would still even be in a job! He more than done his part for his team and nation along with their future building blocks at his first World Cup. His influence has helped give this Country something genuine to build on. His goals got people buzzing about the national team again and it was great to see.

Kane's 6 goals scored come with having one clear cut chance at goal supplied by one of his teammates. All in all that's a great return and one that has only been bettered once since 1974. Scoring a shit load of goals isn't an easy thing on the World stage and Harry averaged 1 goal every game.

He won his 3rd Golden Boot in 4 seasons playing for a team that focused all of their attacking attention set pieces and crosses. Isn't that the hallmark of a great striker? His third Golden Boot 3 years ain't no coincidence, we've seen him knocking them in down the Lane for a fair old while now. He'll only keep improving and adding to that tally the older he gets.

Over the last 2 seasons he's played 100 games, scoring or assisted 98 goals (90 goals, 8 assists) for club and Country. In his last calendar year he outscored Messi, Ronaldo, Cavani, Lewandowski etc with 56 goals in 52 games, all in a far more competitive league. He's also set a new Premier League record of goals scored in a calendar year in 2017 as well, out scoring the likes of Henry, Shearer, Van Nistelrooy etc in doing so.

He's averaging 7 goals a season against Top 6 or Champions League teams since becoming a first team regular. He definitely does his fair share in highly important games

Last edited:
Ok this is going to be a long one so apologies in advance.

Over the past 4 Premier League seasons since Kane come onto the scene he hasn't scored just 4 goals against top six teams, he's scored 19. 5 against Liverpool, 7 against Woolwich,1 vs Man U, 4 against Chelsea and 2 against Man City. 19 goals scored against top 6 teams. Where did you get 4 from? You've got your numbers completely wrong when it comes to big game goals. Harry has also scored 9 goals in 10 Champions League matches, chipping in against teams like Dortmund & Juventus. Yet again more big game goals.

It's also worth pointing out that without Kane's goals against Tunisia, both from open play we wouldn't have made it out of the group stages as things stood. Without getting out of the group stages who knows what state our team would be in now because of the media how hard it would be for Gareth to pick them back up or if Southgate would still even be in a job! He more than done his part for his team and nation along with their future building blocks at his first World Cup. His influence has helped give this Country something genuine to build on. His goals got people buzzing about the national team again amen it wasn't great to see.

Kane's 6 goals scored come with only having one clear cut chance at goal. All in all that's a great return and one that has only been bettered once since 1974. Scoring a shit load of goals isn't an easy thing on the World stage and Harry averaged 1 goal every game.

He won his 3rd Golden Boot in 4 seasons living off of scraps playing for a team that focused all of their attacking attention set pieces and crosses. Isn't that the hallmark of a great striker? His third Golden Boot 3 years ain't no coincidence.

Over the last 2 seasons he's played 100 games and scored or assisted 98 goals (90 goals, 8 assists) for club and Country. In his last calendar year he outscored Messi, Ronaldo, Cavani, Lewandowski etc with 56 goals in 52 games, all scored at a smaller club than those star names mentioned, all in a far more competitive league. He's also set a new Premier League record of goals scored in a calendar year in 2017 as well, out scoring the likes of Henry, Shearer, Van Nistelrooy etc in doing so.

He's averaging 7 goals a season against Top 6 or Champions League teams since becoming a first team regular but yeah you're right, he doesn't turn up on the big occasions. He's only just at beginning and he's already a top class striker
Most PL hat-tricks by PL strikers:
Shearer 11 in 441 games, that's 1 every 40.1 games
Fowler 9 in 379 games, 1 every 42.1
Owen 8 in 326 games, 1 every 40.8
Henry 8 in 258 games 1 every 32.3
Rooney 7 in 476 games 1 every 68.0

Kane 8 in 135 games, that's 1 every 16.9

mojo mojo Still have seen this list of players who are better than Kane and explanations for their greatness. You utter clown.

mojo mojo Still have seen this list of players who are better than Kane and explanations for their greatness. You utter clown.

If he looks after himself he could be looking at another 2 World Cups and 2/3 European Championships. Still got so far to go

The whole golden boot thing and the way people reacted to it perfectly sums up his career. Before the tournament he said he wants to win the golden boot, they laughed at him. He then wins it, but they shit on it, say it doesn't count, wasn't good enough. Just like how in his early career people laughed at him and gave him no chance to make it at the highest level; he goes on to be a hugely successful, prolific, talismanic player for club and country, but at every turn they look for reasons to undermine his achievements, to mock him, say it doesn't count or isn't good enough. He can never win with some people, because he doesn't fit their image of a top player and he doesn't play for one of their more fancied popular clubs.

Think its only just sinking in looking at that tweet how remarkable some of our boys have done this year.

We've gone from failure having an echo of glory to glory having an echo of failure running through our team. I love it! Massive achievements for both of them as well as all of the others that took part

Can you imagine the crowing we'd have to endure if Liverpool players did the equivalent thing? Instead, we're just bloody proud of our boys for what they've achieved.

Kane is the first Englishman to get the golden boot since Linekar, captaining us to the first semi-final since then, and we're having to defend how he did it. Fucking partisanship going too far. If Rooney had done the same eight years ago then I'd have congratulated the granny-shagging sod, not doing call-ins about whether he deserved it or not.

I know it's a cliché to talk about a 'siege mentality' but Harry's got to feel at least somewhat aggrieved over how, no matter what he does, he gets stick from the media and general football fans. He could take the easy route one day and move to a megaclub where the press would lap up everything he does, or stick with us and try to propel us to greatness. The longer it goes on, the more I think he's a hero for doing the latter.

Edit: Hazza I didn't read your post before I wrote that - I think we're very much in agreement here.

The whole golden boot thing and the way people reacted to it perfectly sums up his career. Before the tournament he said he wants to win the golden boot, they laughed at him. He then wins it, but they shit on it, say it doesn't count, wasn't good enough. Just like how in his early career people laughed at him and gave him no chance to make it at the highest level; he goes on to be a hugely successful, prolific, talismanic player for club and country, but at every turn they look for reasons to undermine his achievements, to mock him, say it doesn't count or isn't good enough. He can never win with some people, because he doesn't fit their image of a top player and he doesn't play for one of their more fancied popular clubs.

His whole career has been him smashing expectations, from 'one season wonder' to 'can't do it in a World Cup'. But we've seen he can do it season after season, against big teams, in crunch games, in Europe, for his country, in a World Cup, etc. Fortunately for Lord Kane there are fewer worlds to conquer every season, though a team trophy would shut up some doubters, when added to his various golden boots.

Edit - go back much further actually to when he was rejected as a school kid, allegedly for not being athletic enough.

He’s going to equal/beat Shearer’s record this season. All before he turns 26. Staggering.

If you really want to know how good Kane is.

He's scored 154 goals in FOUR YEARS. Averaging 39 goals a season.

- He's 35 goals off being THIRD in our all time top goalscorer list.

- He's 3 goals off of Jermain Defoe who spent 11 seasons here.

- He's 5 European goals off being TOP of our all time European top goalscorer list.

- He's 35 goals off of being Englands all time TOP goalscorer.

- He's been our outright top goalscorer for FOUR years in a row. Only Jimmy Greaves (8) has done better in our 136 year history.

He'll accomplish 2 of those next season.

He's 24.

Let me know if you want that comparing to another striker between the ages of 20 and 24 and I'll get that done for you. Would be surprised if many of those even compare to such numbers.

Last edited:
Can you imagine the crowing we'd have to endure if Liverpool players did the equivalent thing? Instead, we're just bloody proud of our boys for what they've achieved.

Kane is the first Englishman to get the golden boot since Linekar, captaining us to the first semi-final since then, and we're having to defend how he did it. Fucking partisanship going too far. If Rooney had done the same eight years ago then I'd have congratulated the granny-shagging sod, not doing call-ins about whether he deserved it or not.

I know it's a cliché to talk about a 'siege mentality' but Harry's got to feel at least somewhat aggrieved over how, no matter what he does, he gets stick from the media and general football fans. He could take the easy route one day and move to a megaclub where the press would lap up everything he does, or stick with us and try to propel us to greatness. The longer it goes on, the more I think he's a hero for doing the latter.

Edit: Hazza I didn't read your post before I wrote that - I think we're very much in agreement here.

The stick Kane gets is an absolute joke. I haven't heard a bad thing about Giroud, Lewandowski, Muller or even Walker for choosing to diving head the ball when he should have stayed big and not let Perisic get his foot higher than his nut was when stooping unnecessarily. Haven't a thing about how our vice captain Henderson kept giving the ball back to Croatia with a lump away every chance possible or any criticsm aimed towards the tactics used against both Colombia and Croatia defending a 1-0 lead with half hour to get by just so we can scrape our way through. All I've heard is was Kane fit and could he have done more even when he was largely played out of position, tracking back to do the things the others didn't have the skill set to carry out. The guys equalled Pele's best ever return from a World Cup and people stilll try and find a way to aim digs. One of the reasons we never do well is because we shower with praise one second and ridicule that same person or group of people the next. Fucking imbeciles the lot of them, they never learn.

It goes from patriotism to club loyalties in an instant with fans and well the media, they just stir anything possible to fill airtime or get debates going regardless of the knock on effects.

Big season required from Harry, go beat Clive Allens record my son!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom