Harry Kane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

not being an apologist for the war, only saying he had the weapons and was happy to use them. think the whole thing was a fucking mistake
Aye. Just a wee mistake. Sorry aboot that Basra. Sorry, Baghdad. Just a wee misjudgement there. Let's move on.

Oh look, hunners o cheap shale in oor back yard. Ya fucken beauty

Na mate. Fuck it. Go back to yer miller lite or whatever piss it is you're into
actually it's cool I think I have it now

Not having that, Hammy, ya wee prick. I won't have it.

You yanky bastards might be the new swing producers in town as you frack sweet fuck out of the Permian, but back then you were a bunch of look-the-other-way oil hunters paranoid about a post-hydrocarbon apocalypse. You bought your control of West Africa and bombed you way into Iraq. Don't let yourself become a cunty Iraq revisionist.
We bombed our way into the place for political/strategic reasons. An ideal opportunity to take out an erratic regime, solidify our hold on the middle east, and as an added bonus get a grip on a major oil producer, right after we suffered the worst attack on US soil since the Battle of Antietam at the hands of a radical islamic group who we could prove had met with Saddam (even if we had no proof he actually supported them). And to top it all off this was a country led by a dictator who had used chemical weapons on his citizens. And who we had vague, half-substantiated reports about him trying to develop nukes. The whole thing was a neocon's wet dream. An absolute slam dunk in their minds, which is why Cheny and Rumsfeld were all over it.

Oil was part of it, but it wasn't the primary reason. More of an added bonus than anything else.

Aye. Just a wee mistake. Sorry aboot that Basra. Sorry, Baghdad. Just a wee misjudgement there. Let's move on.

Oh look, hunners o cheap shale in oor back yard. Ya fucken beauty
Not just a "wee mistake". A horrible, massive one, that led to so many unnecessary deaths.

EDIT: Also "cheap" shale oil is way more expensive to extract than crude oil.

Stodgy crap, but as you’re a Scotchman I can see the appeal. The only reason you’re still alive is that you spend so much time in Mombasa and Norway. Personally, I’m glad you’re still alive.
Thanks Joe. I had pasta with pesto tonight. Simple, but the pesto was homemade so it was truly satisfying. A little later I drank some artichoke tea and ate a few small madeleine biscuits (again homemade). As an alcoholic I enjoy the ritual of tea making in the evening. It's therapeutic. That's what I tell myself anyway.

In Norway everyone is incredibly healthy and happy. It's fucken revolting sometimes, but I've seen worse sights.

I've never been to Mombasa. Pointe Noire is probably my most visited sub-saharan town. You have to watch out for the dogs there.

Only skimmed the last few posts, but in my opinion it is not worth going to war and nuking innocent people just to keep anyone from buying Kane.

He is a great player, but football is just a game and I'd rather lose Kane than be responsible for the slaughter of babies.

Also "cheap" shale oil is way more expensive to extract than crude oil.
Behave. What do you think the lead times are on an ultra deep offshore crude field development versus some redneck cunt with a rig in Texas? You're looking at barrel prices based on extraction which do not take into account initial CAPEX and development timeframes, otherwise shale would not be attractive, would it?
Shale is so resilient, and the American economy so good at driving down unit cost, that it survived the 2014/15 oil price crash and neutered OPEC.

Thanks Joe. I had pasta with pesto tonight. Simple, but the pesto was homemade so it was truly satisfying. A little later I drank some artichoke tea and ate a few small madeleine biscuits (again homemade). As an alcoholic I enjoy the ritual of tea making in the evening. It's therapeutic. That's what I tell myself anyway.

In Norway everyone is incredibly healthy and happy. It's fucken revolting sometimes, but I've seen worse sights.

I've never been to Mombasa. Pointe Noire is probably my most visited sub-saharan town. You have to watch out for the dogs there.

Apologies for Mombasa. Just keep moving mate - it stops the blood from draining down to your boots. I want you to live forever - or 55 as they say up your way. If only your lot could stay alive long enough we’d be ripe for invasion, but we control the distribution of asthma inhalers. Don’t ever forget that.

Behave. What do you think the lead times are on an ultra deep offshore crude field development versus some redneck cunt with a rig in Texas? You're looking at barrel prices based on extraction which do not take into account initial CAPEX and development timeframes, otherwise shale would not be attractive, would it?
Shale is so resilient, and the American economy so good at driving down unit cost, that it survived the 2014/15 oil price crash and neutered OPEC.
Yeah I'm looking purely at barrel price. My actual knowledge of the extraction process is limited to the movie Armaggeddon.

actually it's cool I think I have it now

We bombed our way into the place for political/strategic reasons. An ideal opportunity to take out an erratic regime, solidify our hold on the middle east, and as an added bonus get a grip on a major oil producer, right after we suffered the worst attack on US soil since the Battle of Antietam at the hands of a radical islamic group who we could prove had met with Saddam (even if we had no proof he actually supported them). And to top it all off this was a country led by a dictator who had used chemical weapons on his citizens. And who we had vague, half-substantiated reports about him trying to develop nukes. The whole thing was a neocon's wet dream. An absolute slam dunk in their minds, which is why Cheny and Rumsfeld were all over it.

Oil was part of it, but it wasn't the primary reason. More of an added bonus than anything else.

Not just a "wee mistake". A horrible, massive one, that led to so many unnecessary deaths.

EDIT: Also "cheap" shale oil is way more expensive to extract than crude oil.

9/11 as a reason for Iraq was comprehensively debunked as bullshit many years ago. It was obvious to anti-war campaigners at the time, but has since been explored in detail ad nauseum. I'm amazed someone still thinks it's valid history.

The erratic and violent dictator line doesn't stack up either. Saddam was a vicious bastard, but the US and UK did not care. They have supported many dictators over the years. If you think the US went into Iraq even in part because Saddam was bad, ask yourself why Bush didn't have a pop at Mugabe while he was in office? Big Dubya, the great emancipator. Come on.

So far as I understand it, Zimbabwe has a surfeit of goats. I am no expert in the field (pardon the pun) of goat economics, but I think around the time of the Iraq invasion the US was not concerned about securing a supply of goats. They were worried about oil, and that is something Saddam had on tap. Mugabe did not have to worry about an invasion. The shock and awe campaign to dominate the goat market never happened.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Bush and Cheney did go to war just to get Saddam. Maybe they just wanted to help poor Kurds. I should stop being so negative.

9/11 as a reason for Iraq was comprehensively debunked as bullshit many years ago. It was obvious to anti-war campaigners at the time, but has since been explored in detail ad nauseum. I'm amazed someone still thinks it's valid history.

The erratic and violent dictator line doesn't stack up either. Saddam was a vicious bastard, but the US and UK did not care. They have supported many dictators over the years. If you think the US went into Iraq even in part because Saddam was bad, ask yourself why Bush didn't have a pop at Mugabe while he was in office? Big Dubya, the great emancipator. Come on.

So far as I understand it, Zimbabwe has a surfeit of goats. I am no expert in the field (pardon the pun) of goat economics, but I think around the time of the Iraq invasion the US was not concerned about securing a supply of goats. They were worried about oil, and that is something Saddam had on tap. Mugabe did not have to worry about an invasion. The shock and awe campaign to dominate the goat market never happened.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Bush and Cheney did go to war just to get Saddam. Maybe they just wanted to help poor Kurds. I should stop being so negative.

I'm saying that 9/11 was exploited as a reason to go to war. I'm not saying that Iraq was behind 9/11 at all. Saddam had tenuous links to Al-Qaeda and refused to formally support them (although him meeting with them was used by the CIA as evidence of supposed collusion). Yes, of course the US and UK have supported vicious bastards all over the world. But Saddam being a vicious bastard made it easier to go after him. It also didn't help that the dumb bastard laughed/gloated about 9/11. I'm not pretending that Bush and Cheney were altruistic or wanted to help anyone. They were pursuing imperialist/strategic goals (knock out a hostile regime, encircle another hostile regime). I'm only saying that it wasn't just "war for oil". America is happy to play ball with other brutal regimes rich in oil that we could take out in a heartbeat but choose not to. Again, maybe I'm explaining this poorly, but Saddam being bad helped the US government justify taking him down. Our government didn't take him down purely because he was a brutal dictator, but him being a brutal dictator made it easier to convince the public it was ok.

Ladies and Gentlemen

The international Breeeeeeaaaakk!!

3852225-1613575539-87035.gif

I'm saying that 9/11 was exploited as a reason to go to war. I'm not saying that Iraq was behind 9/11 at all. Saddam had tenuous links to Al-Qaeda and refused to formally support them (although him meeting with them was used by the CIA as evidence of supposed collusion). Yes, of course the US and UK have supported vicious bastards all over the world. But Saddam being a vicious bastard made it easier to go after him. It also didn't help that the dumb bastard laughed/gloated about 9/11. I'm not pretending that Bush and Cheney were altruistic or wanted to help anyone. They were pursuing imperialist/strategic goals (knock out a hostile regime, encircle another hostile regime). I'm only saying that it wasn't just "war for oil". America is happy to play ball with other brutal regimes rich in oil that we could take out in a heartbeat but choose not to. Again, maybe I'm explaining this poorly, but Saddam being bad helped the US government justify taking him down. Our government didn't take him down purely because he was a brutal dictator, but him being a brutal dictator made it easier to convince the public it was ok.
The war in Iraq was illegal, going against a UN resolution, yes ?

I'm not sure the public was ever convinced.

But I'll tell ye what, Hammy, you are one relentless motherfucker. I'm going to my scratcher now. Tomorrow is Friday. I have a fucken coffee morning to attend. That's right son, a coffee morning. In a fucken church. All for charity, of course. I think they are raising money for some Kurds. If they don't reach their target they intend on waging war with Iraq instead. Something has to be done. After that I've a phone call with a Brazilian guy who is really fucken clever. Once that's done I'm going to drink half a dozen nonalcoholic beers and pretend it's the weekend

The war in Iraq was illegal, going against a UN resolution, yes ?
Yes, I believe so. IIRC (granted I was like 7 at the time, this is just based on what I've read since) we sent Colin Powell to the UN to make our case, and the UN said "nah we're not buying it". It wasn't *formally* illegal, the UN didn't explicitly call it illegal, but at the same time it didn't have full UN approval and as such I think it would technically be considered illegal under the UN charter which outlawed aggressive war (not like any of the permanent UNSC members have ever obeyed that anyway, but still).

I'm not sure the public was ever convinced.

But I'll tell ye what, Hammy, you are one relentless motherfucker. I'm going to my scratcher now. Tomorrow is Friday. I have a fucken coffee morning to attend. That's right son, a coffee morning. In a fucken church. All for charity, of course. I think they are raising money for some Kurds. If they don't reach their target they intend on waging war with Iraq instead. Something has to be done. After that I've a phone call with a Brazilian guy who is really fucken clever. Once that's done I'm going to drink half a dozen nonalcoholic beers and pretend it's the weekend
What's special about going to church in the morning? Everybody does that. Bit weird that you're doing it on a Friday of course, we normally do that on Sundays, but maybe things are different in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom