Happy Birthday Terry Venables

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Curious to find out the overall view of El Tel. A spurs Legend cup winner as player and manager or a bit average and turned out more than a bit iffy and saddled us with loans and sugar ?

I am really split as sometimes I felt he was really close to something extra Special, but then I remember some woeful games ( mainly early days and post 91 ) where he needs to carry a lot of blame

Curious to find out the overall view of El Tel. A spurs Legend cup winner as player and manager or a bit average and turned out more than a bit iffy and saddled us with loans and sugar ?

I am really split as sometimes I felt he was really close to something extra Special, but then I remember some woeful games ( mainly early days and post 91 ) where he needs to carry a lot of blame

Joint highest league finish in my lifetime, last manager to give us the bragging rights of finishing above the goons.

If people hadn't have rated him sugar wouldn't have been ousted.

Alright by me

didn't look good in 87/88 when he took over - we were awful. 3 years later - a 6th, 3rd and cup win. We played good football and had some great players. He was unfortunate to lose Waddle before Linkere arrived as well. After the cup final he knew we were fucked and moved himself upstairs and allowed Peter Shreeves to take it in the ass as we struggled badly.

Hard one for me. For football related stuff I love him, Spurs player FA Cup Winner, Spurs Manager FA Cup Winner and 3rd place in league. But when it emerged his businesses were stealing money from Tottenham it hurts, especially when you invest your support in him over the Sugar court case only to find this out makes it worse as it makes those who supported him look like tits.
I guess over time pictures of him holding aloft the FA Cup both as a player and manager will be what he will be remembered for more than his murky business dealings. FWIW I am fine with his murky deals all except the ones where he stole from the Club.

First rule of running a football club. Only fire a manager when you've got a better one in the wings ready to take over. He's more important than any of the players.

First rule of managing Venables. Hmmm, where do you start. Manage him very closely.

I echo some of the thoughts above. I loved that he got us Sheringham and Gazza. But Jason Cunty? And Andy "tub'o'lard" Gray? WTF?????

His best work was always done on the training ground. Players would always say that he was the best coach they ever had. If I'd had the money to buy Spurs in 1991, his Ts and Cs would've been to stay at Chigwell and keep away from the finances.

Frustrating that his best work always seemed to be elsewhere: taking Palace up 2 divisions in 3 seasons, getting QPR to the FA Final and very close to beating us, the title with Barcelona, and my best memories ever of England.

Shocking to think that within a few years of him being fired we were recruiting Christian Gross, flirting with relegation, and the 10 Wilderness Years.

Hard one for me. For football related stuff I love him, Spurs player FA Cup Winner, Spurs Manager FA Cup Winner and 3rd place in league. But when it emerged his businesses were stealing money from Tottenham it hurts, especially when you invest your support in him over the Sugar court case only to find this out makes it worse as it makes those who supported him look like tits.
I guess over time pictures of him holding aloft the FA Cup both as a player and manager will be what he will be remembered for more than his murky business dealings. FWIW I am fine with his murky deals all except the ones where he stole from the Club.
Agreed, although what he did with England and being generally just a cheeky Cockney chappy pushes me to still think fondly of the guy. Greedy fucker stealing from the club though, and had to be fired, but still the best Tottenham manager of my lifetime, possibly about to be eclipsed by the incumbent

venables was a bit of a cunt, cant really get away from that.

Back
Top Bottom