Halfway Through: Pessimism to Optimism.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll be the first to admit, in the close season I was sceptical, downbeat, and generally pessimistic about the 9 months ahead. The lack of transfer activity, the Modric saga and the way we finished 2010/11 had me believing that our wonderful Champions League campaign was the pinnacle, the culmination of what we had been striving for all these years. It had all gone quiet over here, and I’d just nod and agree with the sentiments of other fans that it’s all about City now, Chelsea would be still be a threat, never write off Man Utd for the title, blah blah blah, i was not brave enough to openly back us for good things, I didn’t think we were invited to the party. The first two games seemed to validate my mood. I bet I wasn’t the only one.

Then we signed Parker and Adeybayor and more importantly the transfer window slammed shut with Luka still contracted to us, It felt weird that for the first time i can remember a "Bigger Club" had come waving the cash and Levy didn’t sell, he kept his word. all of a sudden this had turned into a good window for us. We get off the mark vs. wolves then the season begins in earnest with the total annihilation of Liverpool our supposed rivals, Out of the blue, the greatest run of results in my, and probably many other spurs fans lifetime.

WWWWDWWWWW, during which we played Woolwich but again, for the first time I can remember, we were big favourites, we played them at their own game, we won. It was a spell where also played probably the best attacking football I’ve ever seen us play.

What the fuck was I worried about?

Halfway through the season, we're joint second, neck and neck with Man. Utd, 3 behind Man City, Chelsea, Woolwich, and Liverpool trailing in our wake. I'm constantly looking at the league table to make sure it’s real, and truly believe we can, and will win the premier league. Why? Well two things, aside from blind faith, in contrast from my preseason downer;

A: The momentum. Those around us have stuttered and stalled, we have ridden out a tough period and seemingly coming back up to the boil in terms of performance.

B: The Pressure, or more to the point, what pressure? We're not supposed to win the league, we're just happy to be here right? Man U have to win it, just because that’s what they do, City have to win it to avoid looking like an absolute joke, that sort of money should win you the league. They've both got to be shitting it.

This was basically a long was of asking if anyone else felt the same before the season kicked off. Personally, I will never doubt you again Tottenham. Now go win us that title. :parker: :rafaaaa:

I'm cautious.

But when I looked at the table today (many times) found myself looking up for the first time, rather than looking down.

I still can't think of us as title challengers, I just keep thinking the gap is a cushion for a lean end of Jan/Feb. If we come out after the United home game within about 6-7 points of 1st, I think we can win the title.

I still think we can do it, despite being frustrated.

Trouble is, and I promised this would never happen, I want us to win the league. I've fallen for the idea head over heels, and see top 4 as mere consolation.

Someone tell me what a cunt I am, help me snap out of this stupid mindset!

how many stupid points have United dropped this season ? a lot more than us id say - taking out the first two games the only points im really disappointed about are yesterday and the Stoke game - the Stoke game we can right off as the worst refereeing performance that anyone is likely to receive in a long time and yesterday we pushed hard but was just one of those days where we couldn't carve out a proper opening - no biggy - hell a bit of luck with some poor decisions and we probably would have won.

what im saying is we are picking up the points we should be (over the season so far) if we do that till the end of the season then we will be there or there abouts

nice post ben btw

I think we need some games that present more of a challenge than what we've had lately in terms of opposition. Not being pompous, but we need a big test to give us a but of motivation to gee us up, which we'll get with city.

The next month and a half will be season defining, make or break in terms of title credentials. Bring it on. :ledleylick:

I honestly think if we can get a good striker - not necessarily a big name, but someone who can get goals and hit the ground running, then we will be very close.

Billyiddo said:
how many stupid points have United dropped this season ? a lot more than us id say - taking out the first two games the only points im really disappointed about are yesterday and the Stoke game - the Stoke game we can right off as the worst refereeing performance that anyone is likely to receive in a long time and yesterday we pushed hard but was just one of those days where we couldn't carve out a proper opening - no biggy - hell a bit of luck with some poor decisions and we probably would have won.

While i'm with you on the 'Stoke and Wolves' game (it's always them two innit?) I'm inclined to point out that to merely dismiss the first 2 games, is to forget that they were both '6-pointers' (taking into account our current position) ...whilst I'm not saying I expected to win them, the fact we lost both so comprehensively means that BOTH our direct rivals have won a 6-pointer (and comfortably) against us... yes Man Utd have lost against City horribly, but they have at least beaten us... City have 'done us both' so far... and we're yet to chalk up a point against either... there's the difference!

(unless we can dare to do next weekend, and put all that right!)

well, i meant taking out the first two games because obviously they were disappointing and didn't really need mentioning ;)

as well as the fact that we weren't the same side we are now - id be tempted to say had we had Ade and Parker we would have come away with a point from Old Trafford because they weren't really impressive against what was a poor line up from us. (not to mention we had several injury problems in those two games as well)

Excellent post, Ben. Apologies for not sticking this on the front page, missed it completely.

was laughing though when the footage pops back up after the kick off only to see danny graham through one on one

well taken too by graham

Back
Top Bottom