Griffiths has gone...it seems

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe yes, but when was the last one who made a breakthrough ?

I have to wonder if the tweet above regarding pochs alleged promotion of Youth has some truth to it.

The last one then ? how many years ago was that exactly ?

I respect your faith, but I am not so sure any longer.

Its not like Janssen or Llorente are ever going to be great back ups for Harry is it ?

I think he should have been given a chance, if he is good enough ,he is old enough , Micael Owen for example :

"Michael Owen has announced that he will be retiring from football at the end of the season. In 1997, Owen, still only seventeen, convinced Liverpool he was ready to make his first team debut. When asked about his possible inclusion, Liverpool manager Roy Evans said bluntly: "if you are good enough you are old enough"

You only really find out by giving them a chance, if they fail...so be it, then you can disparage them.

Perhaps, and I'm only guessing here, Poch didn't think him good enough??

Michael Owen did at 17, not so bad was he ?

Harry Kane didn’t at 17. Not so bad is he??

It’s a ridiculous point you are making.

Owen had played at all levels for England as a kid and then went to a World Cup. Scoring goals for England too.

Where as Reo Griffiths has how many international minutes to his name?

You really have picked a stupid comparison.

I have long been of the opinion, and said, that what holds the English national team back is the lack of youngsters moving abroad for some different input. Also, too many of the best talents are stuck as fringe, talented players at the top clubs for too long, not getting the regular game time needed to further their development.

The window for breaking into a first eleven at a top-6 club is extremely narrow. It is even very narrow for other PL clubs. Those that do come close, that do get a taste, may find it very difficult to handle the pressure, to perform consistently enough from a young age, and to nail down a spot and regain the spot after an injury.

We've had to let the likes of Livermore, Mason and Townsend go. Players who all came close, who even got national team games for England, but who just lacked that little bit of consistency or end product or that were unfortunate with injuries. Some tend to see such players as "shit", but making it as good PL players is an amazing achievement. They have all, in fairness, had great careers. The competition for a place amongst professional footballers is extremely fierce, and to then be amongst the 1% (?) of those to make it in the PL is an amazing achievement.

Reo Griffiths was most likely, from what I read here, looking at another season or two of youth football in Spurs, then maybe some loans to league two or league one. In my opinion it is likely much better for him to move to a club and nation where it is more likely that he gets some first tram minutes at a high level and where he may get some new coaching input. It seems a very sensible move.

I would never advice a young, talented player to go to or stay at a top club's academy if he was at a stage in his development where he could get real game time at a reasonable level.

I have long been of the opinion, and said, that what holds the English national team back is the lack of youngsters moving abroad for some different input. Also, too many of the best talents are stuck as fringe, talented players at the top clubs for too long, not getting the regular game time needed to further their development.

The window for breaking into a first eleven at a top-6 club is extremely narrow. It is even very narrow for other PL clubs. Those that do come close, that do get a taste, may find it very difficult to handle the pressure, to perform consistently enough from a young age, and to nail down a spot and regain the spot after an injury.

We've had to let the likes of Livermore, Mason and Townsend go. Players who all came close, who even got national team games for England, but who just lacked that little bit of consistency or end product or that were unfortunate with injuries. Some tend to see such players as "shit", but making it as good PL players is an amazing achievement. They have all, in fairness, had great careers. The competition for a place amongst professional footballers is extremely fierce, and to then be amongst the 1% (?) of those to make it in the PL is an amazing achievement.

Reo Griffiths was most likely, from what I read here, looking at another season or two of youth football in Spurs, then maybe some loans to league two or league one. In my opinion it is likely much better for him to move to a club and nation where it is more likely that he gets some first tram minutes at a high level and where he may get some new coaching input. It seems a very sensible move.

I would never advice a young, talented player to go to or stay at a top club's academy if he was at a stage in his development where he could get real game time at a reasonable level.

Spot on. And Spurs have shown they will give contracts to players and loan them out to get that game time.

Sounds like he didn’t want to do this so is off to prove himself.
Hope it works out well for him, like any youngster trying to make it, having the guts to go abroad is a very big deal.

Reality is that if Kane stays another 3-4 years he might have seen that as wasted time in a short career.

No easy decisions anyway. But don’t think the club or the player can be “blamed”. It’s just how football works.

Looked a proper prick, and he’s stats aren’t that impressive when you consider he’s like 9 feet tall and had full pubic hair when he was 6. Never gonna make it at senior level

Oh dear, ridiculous and stupid is it ?

Well hows about Ryan Sessegnon, who we were trying to buy, and Mbappe then ? whats your excuse for not counting them then ?

He is not the only one is he ? Bennets went as well

If we buy plonkers like Janssen, Llorente and Sissoko and continue to give them chances instead of our young players, you can hardly blame them for leaving in search of a team who will.

Winksy is difficult to judge because of his injury problems and KWP is hardly a first team regular is he ?

Oh no we have Aurier for that, if a vacancy comes up :mad:

@cretinous goat

You seem to have left 6 dislikes to my posts and not said a word.

Are you a shy boy then ?

You say you like face sitting in your profile ?

Well try Donald Trump then :D

Ahh the dream of youth. For me that evaporated when Fenn and Allen played upfront against Man U all those years ago.

The overwhelming majority of youth team players go on to do nothing or close to nothing. Some make a splash in the lower leagues and a very minor amount make a career at the top level. It’s the same at any big club. Derek Griffiths or whatever the fuck his name is just another name in the list.

It’s an honour to play for Spurs, not a right, no player no matter whom is bigger than the club. If the lads attitude is one of moving on for a better option he is ill advised or understands his level would never be good enough and he won’t put the effort in to be good enough.

In short. Fuck off.

Ahh the dream of youth. For me that evaporated when Fenn and Allen played upfront against Man U all those years ago.

The overwhelming majority of youth team players go on to do nothing or close to nothing. Some make a splash in the lower leagues and a very minor amount make a career at the top level. It’s the same at any big club. Derek Griffiths or whatever the fuck his name is just another name in the list.

It’s an honour to play for Spurs, not a right, no player no matter whom is bigger than the club. If the lads attitude is one of moving on for a better option he is ill advised or understands his level would never be good enough and he won’t put the effort in to be good enough.

In short. Fuck off.

Bringing god into the discussion... Bold move!

As others have mentioned, no one outside the coaching staff really knows what goes on. But it is known that Poch will not stand for bad attitude, especially from some slip of a kid, who thinks he's God's gift to our club. It may come back to bite us, but that's life, and I'm sure we will survive. Any young player should look at Harry’s playing career to date, it should be held as a case study on how to get on, in any field. Sheer hard work, making the most of the talent you have been blessed with and patience.

Back
Top Bottom