Goodbye Charlie, thanks for the memories

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bizzare piece. (more than hint of April Fool about it). But IF not...
"Sherwood is a figure head who the club can get behind and rally round". WTF?!?!

And I wish you (and some others) would once and for all get the facts right when it comes to the Bale sale.
- Firstly, he wanted to go: hard these days to keep want-away players.
- We didn't want to sell him but were offered a ridiculous WORLD record fee
- And please, please people stop comparing the Bale sale to the non-Suarez one. Totally fucking different set of circumstances. Liverpool weren't offered 80+m for him by the greatest club side in football and, if they had been, he'd have left like a fucking shot.
Time to put this shit to bed.

Lastly, screw the 7m loss on the Modric sale - what are you an accountant? I'd rather take the financial hit than sell one our best players to a rival

Last edited:
No disrespect, but it's not really to useful to the credibility of the site (or worrying, our fanbase) when these articles/blogs are always littered with inaccuracies about managers.

Is he talking about Spurs?

James Highsted said:
This will of course see the end of the reign of current boss Tim Sherwood- or “Goodbye Charlie” as he put it- and will see the seventh manager lose his job in the last ten years.

So Pleat was caretaker until the end of 03/04, which was 11 seasons ago, and we started afresh with Santini. Santini shouldn't really count, as he managed 13 games before he ran off and bottled it. I wouldn't say that he "lost his job", more than absconded. However we can count him.
Jol then came and and so he stayed until 07/08, had a bad start and was replaced with Ramos, who won a league cup and barely little else being replaced with Redknapp in 08/09, who stayed until 11/12, replaced by AVB until 22nd Dec or so, then Sherwood has been here since...
So, thats:

Santini (barely, as he didn't "Lose his job")
Jol
Ramos
Redknapp
AVB
Sherwood

Realistically, 5 managers have had their contracts terminated (sacked isn't really appropriate for all) should Sherwood suffer the same fate come the Summer. It's an average of a manager every 2 seasons. Not by any means a high turnover at all in modern football, especially compared to most other PL teams

Edit: Having read the full article, I didn't find it very inspiring at all, more the oppo

Bizzare piece. (more than hint of April Fool about it). But IF not...
"Sherwood is a figure head who the club can get behind and rally round". WTF?!?!

And I wish you (and some others) would once and for all get the facts right when it comes to the Bale sale.
- Firstly, he wanted to go: hard these days to keep want-away players.
- We didn't want to sell him but were offered a ridiculous WORLD record fee
- And please, please people stop comparing the Bale sale to the non-Suarez one. Totally fucking different set of circumstances. Liverpool weren't offered 80+m for him by the greatest club side in football and, if they had been, he'd have left like a fucking shot.
Time to put this shit to bed.

Lastly, screw the 7m loss on the Modric sale - what are you an accountant? I'd rather take the financial hit than sell one our best players to a rival

Spot on.
This reply is brilliant.

Silly article, but to me not for the reasons other have said (although I agree with LEGO Boy LEGO Boy 's take on it).

What irks me about this is the general thrust of "Sherwood should not have to go because it's all the fault of Levy/the board". It's the same one dimensional shite that I find myself hearing from Spurs fans over and over again. It's Sherwood. No, it's Levy. No, it's the fans. No, it's Joe Lewis. No, it's the players. No, it's Baldini. No, a DoF system doesn't work. Etc, etc.

Here's a shocking thought, what if Levy and the board have indeed made mistakes and not done enough, but notwithstanding the manager still comes up short? What if the players aren't doing enough as well irrespective of board or manager? Point is that there is a distinct possibility that the problems that exist right now do so at more than one level of the structure of the club. Therefore it makes no logical sense whatsoever to say that the manager should be untouchable simple because the board have made some mistakes. Levy & Co may well need to do some soul-searching - that doesn't mean that a manager not fit for purpose should be retained.

Last edited:
With the Champions League now seemingly out of Tottenham’s reach, the rumours about Tim Sherwood’s job will intensify. James Highsted looks at why that is all too predictable, why Sherwood should stay and who is really to blame.

Read article

7e94030740fc5be5ab4d662bafd328e7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom