Goalkeepers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paolo Gazzaniga is 6 foot 4, and he looks like more than just a great shot stopper. His distribution - throwing as well as with feet - looks very good.
I think he should be the number 2 now, with a view to taking over from Hugo next season.

Paolo Gazzaniga is 6 foot 4, and he looks like more than just a great shot stopper. His distribution - throwing as well as with feet - looks very good.
I think he should be the number 2 now, with a view to taking over from Hugo next season.
Agree he looks good, but don't think we should replace Lloris for a good few years yet.

He definitely looks good.

maxresdefault.jpg

:ledleylick:

He's too good to be a #3.

Rob Green is the classic for that - he won't kick up a fuss, he'll not demand the earth in wages, he's only there as an insurance policy that will be activated once every 2 years if that.

I'd loan him out and use someone else as 3rd choice.

Lloris could be with us another 3-4 years? 35 or 36? Get this guy to play PL or upper championship for a season or 2 and then see whether he could save us a fortune.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Vorm too. Good shot stopper, decent distribution, very quick too.

PS, what about the Academy? I read what you guys write but don't watch much. Any good keepers coming up through the ranks?

He ought to be playing football at least semi regularly to get him to the level we'd need him to be at if he was to ever become our number 1 or 2 keeper.

Loan him until the January transfer window at least, and then assess it from there.

He ought to be playing football at least semi regularly to get him to the level we'd need him to be at if he was to ever become our number 1 or 2 keeper.

Loan him until the January transfer window at least, and then assess it from there.
Loaning our third keeper would be suicidal.

There was a time last season when both Lloris and Vorm were out... if we loaned out Gazza too, we'd be fucked.

There was a time last season when both Lloris and Vorm were out... if we loaned out Gazza too, we'd be fucked.
And when was the last time that situation occurred? If it happened last season then the law of averages would suggest it won't occur again for like 10 years.

Of course we could just continue to not even have him on the bench. He'd never get the experience and playing time required to get him to the level where he could be a future number 1 or 2, and would be effectively a worthless asset, sat here until his contract runs out, only to go and do the same elsewhere

Last edited:
He's too good to be a #3.

Lloris could be with us another 3-4 years? 35 or 36? Get this guy to play PL or upper championship for a season or 2 and then see whether he could save us a fortune.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Vorm too. Good shot stopper, decent distribution, very quick too.

PS, what about the Academy? I read what you guys write but don't watch much. Any good keepers coming up through the ranks?
That is it in a nutshell, I don't think Gazza will park himself until he is about 28 on the basis he might get the shirt in 3 or 4 years.

Maybe, but Hugo will be 32 and after that it would be hard to move him for a big fee. With goalies going for upwards of 50 million now, if Paolo looks good it would be classic Levy to sell Hugo for big money.

That's still relatively young for a keeper... He could potentially play til 40 if he stays sharp and in shape.

Not saying we should cling to the idea of him still being here in 8 years time, but there is absolutely no rush to transition out of the 'Lloris era'.

Every year Voorm stays, I'm suprised... Too good to be a bit part player IMO.

Until Gazzaniga surpasses Voorm in terms of squad rank, there's little point speculating about him becoming #1 any time soon.

And when was the last time that situation occurred? If it happened last season then the law of averages would suggest it won't occur again for like 10 years.

Of course we could just continue to not even have him on the bench. He'd never get the experience and playing time required to get him to the level where he could be a future number 1 or 2, and would be effectively a worthless asset, sat here until his contract runs out, only to go and do the same elsewhere

Spurs vs the Odds.... The odds are always favourite. :avbcringe:

Palace at home, Gazz looked really good. But I can't for the life of me remember the previous time we played a 3rd string keeper. Is it possible to structure a loan that means we can get him back in those circumstances? The guy looks better than a bench warmer in the League Cup.

When was the last time we played a 3rd string keeper before Palace?

Palace at home, Gazz looked really good. But I can't for the life of me remember the previous time we played a 3rd string keeper. Is it possible to structure a loan that means we can get him back in those circumstances? The guy looks better than a bench warmer in the League Cup.

When was the last time we played a 3rd string keeper before Palace?
Ben Alnwick v Burnley in the League Cup?

"When Blake lined up a free-kick, he was offered a significant portion of the goal to aim at as Alnwick took up a woeful position, and the forward duly curled the ball into the space."
:dier: :pochfacepalm:

That's still relatively young for a keeper... He could potentially play til 40 if he stays sharp and in shape.

Not saying we should cling to the idea of him still being here in 8 years time, but there is absolutely no rush to transition out of the 'Lloris era'.

Every year Voorm stays, I'm suprised... Too good to be a bit part player IMO.

Until Gazzaniga surpasses Voorm in terms of squad rank, there's little point speculating about him becoming #1 any time soon.
If you saw Vorm's car, it would probably explain why he's happy to sit on the bench (a top of the range Bentley with a personalised number plate). Me, jealous? Not a tiny bit!

Back
Top Bottom