George Graham - views

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was for gross misconduct though, so no compensation, I think legally you'd be on sticky ground if you let someone stay in a job for a while before sacking them for that.

The gross misconduct was leaking stories to the press about budgets etc wasn't it? Strangely Levy didn't bat an eyelid when Sherwood was doing similar. Think Levy at the time was desperate to get Hoddle in to get all the fans onside.

It was to do with the fines money (fines for players turning up late to training, wearing wrong kit, bookings, sending offs, etc) - he was in charge of collecting it and couldn't explain where it was when the time came to hand it over to the chosen charities. We had players like Ben Thatcher at the time, so it was quite a large amount of money.
Very Woolwich that, starting with the founder of the travelling embezzlers, Norris.

It was to do with the fines money (fines for players turning up late to training, wearing wrong kit, bookings, sending offs, etc) - he was in charge of collecting it and couldn't explain where it was when the time came to hand it over to the chosen charities. We had players like Ben Thatcher at the time, so it was quite a large amount of money.

Dodgy brown envelope then? You'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson after his Woolwich departure. Fucking Stroller and his best mate El Tel were definitely of an era of bungs and brown envelopes. Guess they were all at it in those days but those two were the highest profile offenders at the time.

Never liked him but I still think levy made his first mistake when he sacked him for hoddle just before we played Woolwich in the fa cup semi. I thought at the time that graham could have set us up pragmatically to beat that lot.
What a terrible day that was! Ginger Pele with the early goal and I was somehow sure we're gonna make but we just didn't step out for the second half

Yeah,it was.Because it was all the "year ends in 1" stuff.We lost to them at OT and to Blackburn at Cardiff..Superb :(
EDIT
Cardiff was the year later...Memory going :)
That Blackburn final was also a miserable day. At least we thrashed the chavs 5:1 on the semi

Edit: was it against Blackburn Ferdinand missed a 1 on 1 and fucked our comeback?

That Blackburn final was also a miserable day. At least we thrashed the chavs 5:1 on the semi
Now that was a night out,2nd leg of the semi. :)
Werent we losing 2-1 from the first leg/ On the tube home after the game at thiers most had written it off,already decided we were out.Thankfully the players didnt.
The wrongful sending off of Hasselbank was enjoyable as well.

dark days. Nearly all the 90's were appalling.
Graham's tenure was bad, dull, wrong - and a petty reaction from Alan Sugar, who had fucked us in the ass for years with terrible stewardship, to the show ponys, flashy foreign footballers and lack of discipline he thought the club represented. I don't even find Grhama's time the worst of that decade - it was just nothing, it meant little. I found the season with Ardiles when we flirted with relegation, lost about 6 on the trot, had Sheringham injured and mabbutt disfigured, had kevin scott at the back and all our hopes on poor mikey hazzard , the worst.

Dodgy brown envelope then? You'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson after his Woolwich departure. Fucking Stroller and his best mate El Tel were definitely of an era of bungs and brown envelopes. Guess they were all at it in those days but those two were the highest profile offenders at the time.
Did you ever watch a programme called the Manageress? About a fictional club ,managed by a woman(Cheri Lungi).They had a scene in there where she was doing a deal with another clubs manager over the signing of a player,and it fell through because she wouldn't play ball over brown envelopes.The other boss was so obviously Brian Clough

Did you ever watch a programme called the Manageress? About a fictional club ,managed by a woman(Cheri Lungi).They had a scene in there where she was doing a deal with a another clubs manager over the signing of a player,and it fell through because she wouldn't play ball over brown envelopes.The other boss was so obviously Brian Clough

I remember it.

The deal for Sheringham was the bung moment in real life wasn't it?

Not sure about that.But sounds about right

Henry Winter article from 1993 in the Independent....

A PICTURE of a football world peopled by men on the make, meeting in motorway cafes to swap bags of money, was painted at the High Court yesterday.

The case before the Vice-Chancellor, Sir Donald Nicholls, in a heaving, overheated Court 35 was 'In the Matter of Tottenham Hotspur plc' - the latest stage in the legal dispute between Alan Sugar, the club's major shareholder, and Terry Venables, the chief executive he is attempting to sack.

Matters involved more than two men and a club; allegations in affidavits read by QCs about the sale of the striker Teddy Sheringham by Nottingham Forest point to a murkier side of what Pele called the 'beautiful game'. From foreign fields to domestic deals, English football is taking a hammering.

In his sworn statement, Sugar claimed that Venables had told him that Brian Clough, the Forest manager at the time of Sheringham's move last August, 'likes a bung'. 'Bungs' - a reward in readies for easing a transfer through - have been rumoured for some time but this was their first public airing.

'Mr Venables told me that what actually happened was that people would meet Mr Clough in a motorway cafe and hand him a bag of money,' Sugar claimed. 'I told Mr Venables it was out of the question. It was not the way I like to conduct business.'

Clough and Venables both deny this unusual practice. 'Not a penny was passed between Terry Venables and me,' Clough retorted from his home. 'The last time I was in a motorway service station, I went for a wee.'

In his affidavit, Venables said: 'The allegation that I told Mr Sugar that Brian Clough 'liked a bung' is untrue. I have never used that expression and I have never used those words or words to that effect to Mr Sugar. As to what I am alleged to have said to Mr Sugar about Mr Clough meeting people in motorway cafes to collect bags of money, it really is a lot of nonsense. Mr Sugar is either making it up or is repeating something he heard from another source.'

The mini-mob of pro-Venables Spurs supporters listened spellbound to these allegations of underhand, under-the-table manoeuvres. Were our motorways full of football club employees or agents speeding up and down dropping off 'bungs'?

Spurs' forwards were certainly in the front line. The sale of Gary Lineker, Sheringham's predecessor, to the Japanese club, Grampus 8, was debated in depth. 'Another example of Mr Venables' so-called mastery of the transfer system was when I realised Tottenham were only receiving pounds 850,000 for Lineker - as opposed to the pounds 4m that I understood we were to get,' another Sugar affidavit disclosed.

'Venables laughed and said that the deal was worth over pounds 4m to Lineker but no one could be expected to believe Tottenham would get more than pounds 1m.'

Venables countered: 'There was no question of Lineker being worth pounds 4m. We bought him from Barcelona for pounds 1.2m aged 28 and he is obviously worth considerably less at 31. Tottenham were getting their money back.'

Venables was surrounded all day by well-wishers; Sugar, at one point, by a phalanx of policemen as the supporters voiced their anger at a businessman's attempt to oust a club legend.

The gallery greeted Sugar's arrival for the morning session with hisses and a single cry of 'scumbag'. The scenes when the entrepreneur left at lunch-time were far uglier: abuse rained down on Sugar, cries of 'scum' 'get out' and 'Judas' echoing round the court vestibule.

Outside in the Strand, many drivers hooted in support of those singing 'Terry Venables' blue-and-white army; Alan Sugar's power barmy'.

Sugar had left by the back door, but the 150 supporters did not have long to wait for a target: when two black cabs appeared bearing stickers extolling Woolwich - Tottenham's much- loathed London rivals - the gesticulations and taunts really took off.

Henry Winter article from 1993 in the Independent....

A PICTURE of a football world peopled by men on the make, meeting in motorway cafes to swap bags of money, was painted at the High Court yesterday.

The case before the Vice-Chancellor, Sir Donald Nicholls, in a heaving, overheated Court 35 was 'In the Matter of Tottenham Hotspur plc' - the latest stage in the legal dispute between Alan Sugar, the club's major shareholder, and Terry Venables, the chief executive he is attempting to sack.

Matters involved more than two men and a club; allegations in affidavits read by QCs about the sale of the striker Teddy Sheringham by Nottingham Forest point to a murkier side of what Pele called the 'beautiful game'. From foreign fields to domestic deals, English football is taking a hammering.

In his sworn statement, Sugar claimed that Venables had told him that Brian Clough, the Forest manager at the time of Sheringham's move last August, 'likes a bung'. 'Bungs' - a reward in readies for easing a transfer through - have been rumoured for some time but this was their first public airing.

'Mr Venables told me that what actually happened was that people would meet Mr Clough in a motorway cafe and hand him a bag of money,' Sugar claimed. 'I told Mr Venables it was out of the question. It was not the way I like to conduct business.'

Clough and Venables both deny this unusual practice. 'Not a penny was passed between Terry Venables and me,' Clough retorted from his home. 'The last time I was in a motorway service station, I went for a wee.'

In his affidavit, Venables said: 'The allegation that I told Mr Sugar that Brian Clough 'liked a bung' is untrue. I have never used that expression and I have never used those words or words to that effect to Mr Sugar. As to what I am alleged to have said to Mr Sugar about Mr Clough meeting people in motorway cafes to collect bags of money, it really is a lot of nonsense. Mr Sugar is either making it up or is repeating something he heard from another source.'

The mini-mob of pro-Venables Spurs supporters listened spellbound to these allegations of underhand, under-the-table manoeuvres. Were our motorways full of football club employees or agents speeding up and down dropping off 'bungs'?

Spurs' forwards were certainly in the front line. The sale of Gary Lineker, Sheringham's predecessor, to the Japanese club, Grampus 8, was debated in depth. 'Another example of Mr Venables' so-called mastery of the transfer system was when I realised Tottenham were only receiving pounds 850,000 for Lineker - as opposed to the pounds 4m that I understood we were to get,' another Sugar affidavit disclosed.

'Venables laughed and said that the deal was worth over pounds 4m to Lineker but no one could be expected to believe Tottenham would get more than pounds 1m.'

Venables countered: 'There was no question of Lineker being worth pounds 4m. We bought him from Barcelona for pounds 1.2m aged 28 and he is obviously worth considerably less at 31. Tottenham were getting their money back.'

Venables was surrounded all day by well-wishers; Sugar, at one point, by a phalanx of policemen as the supporters voiced their anger at a businessman's attempt to oust a club legend.

The gallery greeted Sugar's arrival for the morning session with hisses and a single cry of 'scumbag'. The scenes when the entrepreneur left at lunch-time were far uglier: abuse rained down on Sugar, cries of 'scum' 'get out' and 'Judas' echoing round the court vestibule.

Outside in the Strand, many drivers hooted in support of those singing 'Terry Venables' blue-and-white army; Alan Sugar's power barmy'.

Sugar had left by the back door, but the 150 supporters did not have long to wait for a target: when two black cabs appeared bearing stickers extolling Woolwich - Tottenham's much- loathed London rivals - the gesticulations and taunts really took off.

Best thing Sugar ever did for the club was save it from Venables

Back
Top Bottom