Gent v Tottenham

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The unbelievable arrogance that comes from English football is incredible. Fans not just of Tottenham, but ALL clubs, is fucking embarrassing. I have seen very few comments from supporters, commentators, media and press acknowledge how well Gent played last night. A team that has a better or on par recent European record to ours. This team having won the league, qualified for CL and then qualified for the CL knockout stages.
We are all programmed to be arrogant cunts, made even worse by not knowing fuck all about the team they are playing against, no one could name a single player, how they play but dispite this go into the game with the attitude we will turn over a team. Beggars believe when you think about it.
Exactly the same with the national team. Know fuck all about the team we are playing, ignore a far superior record to ours (e.g Uruagay) think we are far better, get well beaten then moan about how bad we are, while still not acknowledging the other team is better.

Manager should know the above and what to expect from Gent and set the team to not get beat and try at least to get an away goal. The formation was wrong to achieve either.

Last edited:
The manager should know the above and what to expect from Gent and set the team to not get beat and try at least to get an away goal. The formation was wrong to achieve either.
Think he did set up not to get beat, in the first half they created fuck all, don't think they had a shot on target (2 all game). Still think they competed better than us, but they lacked any quality on the ball and failed to create anything in the first half. It was ugly from us, we were not aloud to get on the ball and dictate. 2nd half Poch went to our favoured formation, we looked far better and created opportunities. The big weakness of three at the back is the space behind the pushed up FB, they exploited that and scored. We failed to play with any confidence or belief after that (well before that too if we are to be critical), the subs made didn't change anything, if anything we looked worse. We lost.

Truth is, if we shut out this game 0-0 and still played as we did we would still be moaning, because we are arrogant and expected to turn over a team with a better record than us despite knowing absolutely fuck all about them.

The manager should know the above and what to expect from Gent and set the team to not get beat and try at least to get an away goal. The formation was wrong to achieve either.
But that also underestimates the genius (what he did for Gent in the last three seasons has never been done by anyone before him) that is at the helm of Gent right now, he set up the team a lot different from what he normally does. Focusing on exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent, esp the space that fell on the wings when Spurs congested the center area. Even the striker that was out there yesterday normally almost never plays but as he saw that the regular game with a towering center forward would only lead to losing possession (Dier and Alderweireld would have just bossed the game) and chasing the game, in stead he chose to have two wingbacks assisting the central defence and overlapping wingers to create pace and disorder. Spurs defence always had to chose between upcoming players and almost always left someone free to go deep. But the key turning moment was when Dembele went off and the big DM Esiti started having the freedom to roam and launch attacks.

But that also underestimates the genius (what he did for Gent in the last three seasons has never been done by anyone before him) that is at the helm of Gent right now, he set up the team a lot different from what he normally does. Focusing on exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent, esp the space that fell on the wings when Spurs congested the center area. Even the striker that was out there yesterday normally almost never plays but as he saw that the regular game with a towering center forward would only lead to losing possession (Dier and Alderweireld would have just bossed the game) and chasing the game, in stead he chose to have two wingbacks assisting the central defence and overlapping wingers to create pace and disorder. Spurs defence always had to chose between upcoming players and almost always left someone free to go deep. But the key turning moment was when Dembele went off and the big DM Esiti started having the freedom to roam and launch attacks.
Winks, was our best player, shrunk when Dembele came off, nowhere near as influential.

So that means poch is tactically poor and out foxed by the gent manager basically

Anyone who was there yesterday ? What did you make of the city, the ground and the atmosphere ? The Gent fans normally do 90 mins full singing and chanting, yesterday was quite good in that aspect but curious to see if that was also the impression you got in the away end. I also think that a lot of heavy beers killed the spurs away end a bit as they were unusally quiet.

Still not sure what to make of both teams competing against eachother, was proud of the way Gent played and how vocal the fans were but at the same time, Spurs annoyed the hell out of me. And i've seen people criticise Dembele but the moment he went off was the moment Gent took full control over the midfield.
I attended the game as a neutral supporter.

The atmosphere from Gent was unreal. It was the first time I visited their new stadium and it was a magical moment. The Spurs lads truly dissapointed me. I only heard a couple of songs but they were blown away by the home crowd.

Quote from the Gent forum:
"Tottenham supporters where practicing for a still life? Those lads weren't moving at all, didn't hear them. Did expect more from an English team"

Never expected Gent to win the game but I'm pretty sure that you guys will crush them in Wembley.

Cheers from an Antwerp lad hopefully we'll get back to Europe in a couple of years.

What are you basing that on? The way we brushed Wycombe aside perhaps?
Using a victory to downplay the chance of a victory.

post-28652-thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-g-g2uB.gif

Well, didn't catch the game as I had a very busy day today at work, but I saw the extended highlights.
I'm not surprised to hear that a lineup with those players under-performed though- I think the team has looked extremely tired recently and warned that we needed to rotate heavily and give key performers a break.

Its insane that Janssen can't even make the bench! Unless he is sitting out for disciplinary or injury reasons, it doesn't make sense. And Wimmer? These are the games he needs to be starting so that he can string together enough game time to get into form again. Even if they haven't been in great form, we still need their legs to help us through the myriad competitions.

Dembele on the wing is baffling. He hasn't played well there for ages, if ever!
Why oh why did we put out such a defensive side against Gent?
How is it possible that Janssen can't even make the bench?
Dembele on the wing? D E M B E L E O N T H E W I N G ????
cat-665x385.jpg
Why are the players tired? This was only the 3rd midweek game this year. Chelsea on 4th Jan,Sunderland 31st and this one. Kane has played less games than Defoe who is much older. This is not an excuse especially as our best spell this season was over XMAS/New year when ewe played many matches with little rotation.

I don't know what you want him to do. I hate all that running about fake "passion" that some other managers employ to impress the cameras. He looked exactly like I felt watching that.

Impacting the game would have been nice. Telling players where to be, to push, to tackle, to get them to wake up. This isn't a sign of bad organisation (It would be a joke to call Conte/Chelsea unorganised), it's an extra tool that should be used.

How many times do we watch a Spurs game and hear Poch screaming "Push" in the background? I've not heard that once in the past 3 weeks. Just seems to sit there looking sullen.

The performance was poor going forward but until they scored we did not look like conceding. In the past a 1 goal defeat was considered par performance with a good chance to win at home. The problems are we are not at WHL and we do not have an away goal. If we put out a strong team again in the return leg and cannot beat a team 8th in the Belgium league then we will be in trouble at Wembley next season against far stronger teams in the premiership. Go out on away goals is still a win but will be disappointing.

Why are the players tired? This was only the 3rd midweek game this year. Chelsea on 4th Jan,Sunderland 31st and this one. Kane has played less games than Defoe who is much older. This is not an excuse especially as our best spell this season was over XMAS/New year when ewe played many matches with little rotation.

I don't know why they are tired, but they look tired.
When you're tired you're tired, and there isn't anything else one can do about it.
My guess is that it they sometimes need less than 1 game a week to recover.
Especially when we are expected to play such a high energy press for 90'.

I think the goal blew us out of course, if Kane would have sticked in the bet instead of the goal things would have look different.
But football is more to mentality and we are currently looking too desperate, we need Rose and a dose of fresh blood pumped in

Back
Top Bottom