1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts - Sign up here

Match Thread Gent v Tottenham

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by sammyspurs, 11 Feb 2017.

1. Guido

We have played 4-3-2-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2, 4-1-2-2-1 and 4-4-2 this season! I can't think of a single team to play with as much tactical variety as us.

• Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  2. hrytn

#1002 hrytn, 17 Feb 2017
    Last edited: 17 Feb 2017
    Manager should know the above and what to expect from Gent and set the team to not get beat and try at least to get an away goal. The formation was wrong to achieve either.

3. Guido

Think he did set up not to get beat, in the first half they created fuck all, don't think they had a shot on target (2 all game). Still think they competed better than us, but they lacked any quality on the ball and failed to create anything in the first half. It was ugly from us, we were not aloud to get on the ball and dictate. 2nd half Poch went to our favoured formation, we looked far better and created opportunities. The big weakness of three at the back is the space behind the pushed up FB, they exploited that and scored. We failed to play with any confidence or belief after that (well before that too if we are to be critical), the subs made didn't change anything, if anything we looked worse. We lost.

Truth is, if we shut out this game 0-0 and still played as we did we would still be moaning, because we are arrogant and expected to turn over a team with a better record than us despite knowing absolutely fuck all about them.

4. Belgian Spur

Supporter

Twitter:
    @teflon6
    But that also underestimates the genius (what he did for Gent in the last three seasons has never been done by anyone before him) that is at the helm of Gent right now, he set up the team a lot different from what he normally does. Focusing on exploiting the weaknesses of the opponent, esp the space that fell on the wings when Spurs congested the center area. Even the striker that was out there yesterday normally almost never plays but as he saw that the regular game with a towering center forward would only lead to losing possession (Dier and Alderweireld would have just bossed the game) and chasing the game, in stead he chose to have two wingbacks assisting the central defence and overlapping wingers to create pace and disorder. Spurs defence always had to chose between upcoming players and almost always left someone free to go deep. But the key turning moment was when Dembele went off and the big DM Esiti started having the freedom to roam and launch attacks.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  5. Guido

Winks, was our best player, shrunk when Dembele came off, nowhere near as influential.

6. Eskimo

'you middle class out of touch cunt!'

Twitter:
    @TSBAWA
    What are you basing that on? The way we brushed Wycombe aside perhaps?

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Christy dempsey

So that means poch is tactically poor and out foxed by the gent manager basically

8. Boltonspur

Blind faith...& the way we know we can play.

9. Belgian Spur

Supporter

Twitter:
    @teflon6
    Nope that isnt what it is, he s not poor at all but he was outfoxed yesterday. Wont happen again next week

10. Antwerp1880

I attended the game as a neutral supporter.

The atmosphere from Gent was unreal. It was the first time I visited their new stadium and it was a magical moment. The Spurs lads truly dissapointed me. I only heard a couple of songs but they were blown away by the home crowd.

Quote from the Gent forum:
    "Tottenham supporters where practicing for a still life? Those lads weren't moving at all, didn't hear them. Did expect more from an English team"

Never expected Gent to win the game but I'm pretty sure that you guys will crush them in Wembley.

Cheers from an Antwerp lad hopefully we'll get back to Europe in a couple of years.

• Like x 3
  11. Eskimo

'you middle class out of touch cunt!'

Twitter:
    @TSBAWA
    Tacticaltombola.

12. SchmoodSpur

wrong nearly always

Using a victory to downplay the chance of a victory.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  13. spursmalc

Why are the players tired? This was only the 3rd midweek game this year. Chelsea on 4th Jan,Sunderland 31st and this one. Kane has played less games than Defoe who is much older. This is not an excuse especially as our best spell this season was over XMAS/New year when ewe played many matches with little rotation.

14. Jayc1

Impacting the game would have been nice. Telling players where to be, to push, to tackle, to get them to wake up. This isn't a sign of bad organisation (It would be a joke to call Conte/Chelsea unorganised), it's an extra tool that should be used.

How many times do we watch a Spurs game and hear Poch screaming "Push" in the background? I've not heard that once in the past 3 weeks. Just seems to sit there looking sullen.

15. spursmalc

The performance was poor going forward but until they scored we did not look like conceding. In the past a 1 goal defeat was considered par performance with a good chance to win at home. The problems are we are not at WHL and we do not have an away goal. If we put out a strong team again in the return leg and cannot beat a team 8th in the Belgium league then we will be in trouble at Wembley next season against far stronger teams in the premiership. Go out on away goals is still a win but will be disappointing.

16. bk_spur

I don't know why they are tired, but they look tired.
    When you're tired you're tired, and there isn't anything else one can do about it.
    My guess is that it they sometimes need less than 1 game a week to recover.
    Especially when we are expected to play such a high energy press for 90'.

17. THFC-Israel

I think the goal blew us out of course, if Kane would have sticked in the bet instead of the goal things would have look different.
    But football is more to mentality and we are currently looking too desperate, we need Rose and a dose of fresh blood pumped in

18. AlMacca_

quality trip from start to finish, top turn out and comfortably the best I've done. Gent is a lovely city I could easily go back there

• Like x 2
  19. SouthCoastSpur

Sometime for whatever reason the team don't play well. We all expected more but it hasn't happened the last few games. The corner will be turned again soon I have no doubt.

• Like x 2
  20. SouthCoastSpur

As good a manager as Poch is, he is still young and learning. We have more tactical variety than last year although we haven't got it right every game. We live and learn.

• Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted
If you see people ruining threads with off-topic discussion, arguing or personal abuse, use the 'Sin Bin' link at the bottom of their post to vote for them to be placed in the sin bin. More info