Gareth Southgate?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gareth Southgate our man?

• yes

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • no

Votes: 31 93.9%

• Total voters
I think this is one of the stupidest media rumours I've seen but, just for kicks, I'm going to try it on for size.

The plus side would be that he would have an instant rapport with Kane, Winks and Rose and, given the miracles he's worked with the England team, he seems to have a knack for player motivation.

The negative side is that his only club management experience is when he replaced Steve McLaren at Middlesborough and got them relegated three years later. Not sure if that makes him the man to lead us to Premier League glory.

It's a no from me. I think we will need another manager to win the Premier League but I don't think it's Gareth Southgate.

More bollocks. It's the media themselves doing the linking (badly!)..... Not so much as an insinuation that we're interested.

Reasoning:

For Spurs: Harry might stay, should he otherwise decide to leave if Poch does.
For United: He has a clearer idea than Ole about where to play Rashford.

More bollocks. It's the media themselves doing the linking (badly!)..... Not so much as an insinuation that we're interested.

Reasoning:

For Spurs: Harry might stay, should he otherwise decide to leave if Poch does.
For United: He has a clearer idea than Ole about where to play Rashford.

Ole plays Rashford in position as Southgate. At least he has done when Martial has been fit.

That last World Cup was Southgate’s Ranieri Leicester moment, when else will Germany, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Holland and Brazil not be there/play well and as usual, didn’t get it done

FIFA/UEFA always give us a nice groups so the richest nations fans are at the finals spending loads of money but we never get it done in the tournament. Southgate as proved in his club career, not good enough

Haha fucking hell he finished at Boro TEN YEARS ago ffs

Spent 3 years as England U21 coach, 4 yrs as national coach and done a very good job.

Doesn’t just play names - tick
Isn’t scared to use kids - tick
Plays attacking football - tick
Use full backs properly - tick
Deploys actual definitive tactics - tick

Not the finished article but certainly far from this disaster everyone goes on about.

I wouldn’t be against it at all, he has experience with a large core of our squad, has dealt with egos, and his teams have played against the very best in the world.

It’s a gamble, yes.

But it’s absolutely 50-50 on whether it will work or not. Just because someone “doesn’t fancy it” it doesn’t give their view that it won’t work out any substance.

No more than someone sitting there saying as a fact it will be a success.

Back
Top Bottom