Game in hand, good or bad?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rosie47

Papering over the cracks
In terms of the team´s psychology, is our game in hand a weight around our neck, from which we´ll be lifted once it´s removed, or is it a crutch we´re leaning on, ready to dump us to the ground once we´re done with it in January, metaphorically speaking?

I like it. The way I approach it is "We're X pts behind team Y, but if we win that game, it's only Z points." Basically, I look at the standings assuming we're going to win that, or at least climb a bit based on us not having as many games.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely rather have the straight up points. I guess my point was that I don't think it's a liability (or crutch as waccy puts it).

Would always have the points on the board, rather than games in hand. But regardless I think its being hyped in the media more than it should be, but in our favour, Especially when they talk about second hand fridge, the goons or the bin dippers.

It will be more relevant when/if you have a cup run because then you do get behind like we did a couple of years ago and played those 5 games in 14 days at the end of the season.

Thelonious Filth said:
I'd rather have the points than the game in hand, however, it's a stick to beat the Gooners with.

This and considering Everton's form at WHL, their usual resurgence in the new year and the addition they'll have of Landon Donovan I don't think 3 points is anywhere near a given.

I think the players will feel a little bit of comfort in the game in hand. If we draw or lose it, that might be a bit of a knock to the confidence, but then win it and they'll feel boosted. So perhaps they will feel a pressure going into this game.

But really, game in hand or not, it's a difficult game, and every week there is a big pressure to win. That's just part and parcel of challenging for the top four.

It was only a burden until we lost the game... now we've won it, it becomes 'the points' that everyone was counting on when referring to 'THE GAME IN HAND'...

If we'd lost last night, we'd have the same weird feeling you get on Boxing Day morning, when you realise the present that's been sitting under the tree for the past few weeks wasn't what you thought it was at all, and now you just have to live with the disappointment and get on with life, as no one kept the receipt!

I miss it already, it was like a friend. Good old reliable game in hand was always there to help us in arguments and to make our stats look better, it always had our back . Now it's gone we're on our own again, although, it has made us stronger.

I just hope the next time we meet game in hand we'll be able to introduce it to Champions league football.

Glad we've got it out the way. Ultimately we all assumed, or at least calculated it as though it was a win.

Given you can never be 100% sure of winning, that was a punchy assumption.

Now we have got them in the bag, and we're 3 points further ahead of the chasing pack, and 3 points closer to City.

Chuffed all round

Back
Top Bottom