Full Strength Midfield?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

looks good on paper but lacks width and support for Walker, Newcastle exposed this to a degree. Sandro is a lot better than Livermore and may have provided better support. I think Lennon provides width even though he's not on form.

That's it for me, although I want them all to have license to roam (a la Aguero, Silva and Nasri for City at WHL) - I want VDV popping up beyond Adebayor, and I want Modric popping up on both flanks at times too.

all well and good as long as scotty and sandro have got their running boots with them start filling the holes when modders goes wandering

Correct but we have never played with this midfield so impossible to state this as fact until it works. The right side is the concern but Sandro is such an animal that he can cover all the ground in England without breaking a sweat.

Walker has to provide the width using this midfield otherwise, it's too loose. Would love to see this in reality against QPR this weekend.

nb, if really talking full strength, when hudd is back (eventually), hudd + parker / sandro for me is better in games where we will be set up to counter attack. (My Hudd love is well known by some, as for me his range of passing, link up and vision with both bale and vdv in turning defence in to attack, has the potential to rape the sort of teams we drew / lost to last season which we really shouldn't have).

Having said that it will be a while, and may yet tie up with a need to rest parker later on in the season.

Strength in depth? how very un-spurs like.

I also have a huge penchant for Huddlestone tricky. I fear that by the time he does get back in the side, his fro will have cost him another 8 yards of pace. I mean, consider the wind resistance. It will be like the Perfect Storm. Perhaps you interchange Sandro and Big Tom for home and away games.

dashmore said:
I also have a huge penchant for Huddlestone tricky. I fear that by the time he does get back in the side, his fro will have cost him another 8 yards of pace. I mean, consider the wind resistance. It will be like the Perfect Storm. Perhaps you interchange Sandro and Big Tom for home and away games.
Hudd doesn't do 'pace', he's the modern day jan molby. Just more talented and less Danish.

if we wanna compete at the top top level we need this depth. We have gotta have the best midfield in the league currently. The list of names on paper makes me moist

Going to throw this out there as a variation on that theme...

:vdv: --- :modric: --- :lennon:

----- :sandro: --- :parker:

:bale: <--- bombing forward from LB

Controversial? I think so. Option? maybe, especially should :bae: be injured

Flav said something like that in a recent pod, could work but it'd take a few injuries for Redknapp to try that one out.

I reckon if Bale was to be played at LB he could be just as if not more devastating to the oppositions right back as it would stop defenders doubling up on him.

and I am with cantsmile on this one, Sandro and Parker can truffle shuffle across to protect BAE and Walker when need be with Mod dropping back also.

I'm starting to think we are outgrowinf Lennon, not due to lack of recent form, just becuase so many of the players arund him are better now and he really doesnt seem to be taking his game to the next level over the last few years.

I have similar thoughts on Hudd in that regard.

I'd disagree slightly on lennon, first half of '09/10 he was immense for us while Modric was out, was pretty much our best player but since then it's been injury, getting fucked over by England in SA, injury...and we now have Bale and vdV who are the focus of a lot of what we do going forward which means he gets less of the ball.

Don't get me wrong, his refusal to go at and past his man anymore is infuriating but he's just coming back from another injury and if he can get some games under his belt he's a massive asset for us. Wouldn't want to lose him to anyone else, lets put it like that.

I know what you mean, I just dont think he is consistant enough and never has been. He often gets into shooting positions and doesnt take the shot, instead laying it off to someone and the chance fizzling out. He also seems panicked quite often in possession and we all know what his final ball is like.
One last point, if you look back to when he first burst on the scene, he never seemed to give the ball away or get tackled, not really the case anymore.

That said I would have him over Walcott any day

Back
Top Bottom